PDA

View Full Version : It's not hot here!

David Kirk
06-11-2008, 09:35 AM
...HEAVY SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM MDT THIS AFTERNOON FOR ELEVATIONS ABOVE 5000 FEET...

A HEAVY SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM MDT THIS AFTERNOON FOR ELEVATIONS ABOVE 5000 FEET.

SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES...WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON. BY LATE THIS AFTERNOON...3 TO 9 INCHES OF SNOW ACCUMULATION ARE EXPECTED AT ELEVATIONS BETWEEN 5000 AND 7000 FEET...WHILE THE MOUNTAINS ARE EXPECTED TO RECEIVE BETWEEN 9 AND 14 INCHES OF SNOW.

EXPECT VISIBILITIES TO BE REDUCED TO LESS THAN ONE QUARTER OF A MILE AT TIMES IN HEAVY SNOW. TRAVEL CONDITIONS IN THE WARNING AREA WILL BECOME HAZARDOUS THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON.

ADDITIONALLY...THIS WILL BE A VERY WET SNOW. IN AREAS THAT RECEIVE HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...THERE COULD BE SOME POWER OUTAGES OR DAMAGE TO TREES THAT HAVE LEAFED OUT.

A HEAVY SNOW WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

June in MT..............you never know what you'll get. The forecasts calls for mid 70's all next week. Looks like a good day to get some work done.

dave

PaulE
06-11-2008, 09:37 AM
If only we could average your weather with NYC's for the past few days.

WadePatton
06-11-2008, 09:55 AM
I'll take a box of that! :cool:

Fixed
06-11-2008, 09:57 AM
me too i am pretty hot by 2 pm
cheers

TAW
06-11-2008, 09:57 AM
How do you stand it? Seriously, I'll take snow on Christmas Eve as long as it's gone by Christmas night. I see global warming has skipped MT.

ThasFACE
06-11-2008, 10:01 AM
If only we could average your weather with NYC's for the past few days.
Agreed. If not for the shade in central park I would be a crispy critter.

Sandy
06-11-2008, 10:22 AM
I was just joking with my brother-in-law last night about heavy snow out west and then I read what you posted. I thought that maybe you were joking too,, but you weren't. Amazing- 95-100 degrees in the east and 9-14 inches of snow in the mountains in Montana. Wow. I remember going cross country when I was in graduate school many moons ago. Crossed the entire state of Montana- Will always remember it- Beautiful blue skys- No clouds....Guess there are some clouds there today.

I also remember seeing a zillion deer at night- all over the place. Was told later that we crossed some deer range.

Sandy

David Kirk
06-11-2008, 10:39 AM
How do you stand it? Seriously, I'll take snow on Christmas Eve as long as it's gone by Christmas night. I see global warming has skipped MT.

I hear you. We do get snow at odd times of the year due to how far north we are and to our elevation. But this time of year it is very rare and will be gone in a hurry. The thing is that this time of year we can have the pendulum swing in a big way and get most anything.

As much as the snow in June can be a bummer there are some very good reasons to deal with it in stride -

* we don't have much in the way of bugs here and very few if any mosquitos if ever.

* the summer time humidity is normally in the 15 -20% range so no matter how hot it gets it's still fairly comfortable.

* the low humidity also allows for the temps to drop at night to nice open window sleeping weather even at the hottest times of the year. Lows on the 50's and highs in the 80's are common in summer. Pretty easy to get used to.

* no floods, tornados, hurricanes, traffic jams, smog, brownouts, blackouts, crowds, etc......... make it very easy to put up with a snowy day in June.

I'm never leaving.

dave

WadePatton
06-11-2008, 11:00 AM
I hear you. We do get snow at odd times of the year due to how far north we are and to our elevation. But this time of year it is very rare and will be gone in a hurry. The thing is that this time of year we can have the pendulum swing in a big way and get most anything.

As much as the snow in June can be a bummer there are some very good reasons to deal with it in stride -

* we don't have much in the way of bugs here and very few if any mosquitos if ever.

* the summer time humidity is normally in the 15 -20% range so no matter how hot it gets it's still fairly comfortable.

* the low humidity also allows for the temps to drop at night to nice open window sleeping weather even at the hottest times of the year. Lows on the 50's and highs in the 80's are common in summer. Pretty easy to get used to.

* no floods, tornados, hurricanes, traffic jams, smog, brownouts, blackouts, crowds, etc......... make it very easy to put up with a snowy day in June.

I'm never leaving.

dave
Now that's my kind of place. Maybe I'll retire up there. :D

Sasha18
06-11-2008, 11:02 AM

That's why some like to call it global climate change.

Wasn't Karin thinking about installing solar panels? Do they still work when it's cold outside?

Steevo
06-11-2008, 11:59 AM
The white water should be nice and high next week. How about a brazed, lugged raft?

mjb266
06-11-2008, 12:42 PM
If it's the system that just hit us then look out

One person died and two were air lifted off of Rainier after getting caught in the blizzard. They got 20" of snow above 5000' and the freezing level dropped to 3000'

It's nuts for this time of year.

Karin Kirk
06-11-2008, 12:51 PM

Wasn't Karin thinking about installing solar panels? Do they still work when it's cold outside?

Solar panels have been put on the back burner for now. But yes, they work in the cold, they just need sunlight to shine on them. Obviously when they get a blanket of snow over them they don't gather much energy!

We have finished building our greenhouse though, and it's very interesting to see the temperature change inside there compared to outside. We have digital thermometers in the greenhouse, the greenhouse soil, and outside and they all read out on the same monitor in the living room. At the moment is 34 outside and 57 in the greenhouse. You can only imagine the pleasant, cozy, tinkling sound the snowflakes make while falling on the greenhouse panes. We love to hang out in there!

Thanks in part from input from fellow forumites, we realized the math on putting up solar panels to run the greenhouse fans did not make sense. Instead we'd like to wait a bit, spend a bit more money, and put them on the main part of our house instead. But that is a whole 'nother project, so it will have to wait.

In the meantime, we are having a ball with the greenhouse experiment, even on an otherwise crappy day like today!

Ozz
06-11-2008, 01:05 PM

"Global Climate Change" - I like that description better....

With out "unseasonably" cold weather, there have been the usual letters-to-the-editor asking: "If there is global warming, why is it so freaking cold!", or variations to that effect. They then go on to tirade against Al Gore and anything and anyone to asks them to change the way they live....

It would be amusing if it wasn't......

Karin Kirk
06-11-2008, 02:55 PM
"Global Climate Change" - I like that description better....

With out "unseasonably" cold weather, there have been the usual letters-to-the-editor asking: "If there is global warming, why is it so freaking cold!", or variations to that effect. They then go on to tirade against Al Gore and anything and anyone to asks them to change the way they live....

It would be amusing if it wasn't......

I hear ya! I try to remind folks that it's a global average, and any one day/week/season/location does not speak for the entire trend line, as seen below.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/globalwarming/images/temp-anom-larg.jpg

maunahaole
06-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Sounds like a good day to skin up the boards and go bag some turns. 82 and sunny here with NW trade winds again today.

chuckroast
06-11-2008, 03:44 PM
I can't find it online but there was a cute photo in the paper today of a kid in shorts crouching under a picnic table waiting for his bus during the snowstorm in Kallispell.

Steelhead
06-11-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm in Austin TX. I wish I was in Montana today. :)

trocared
06-11-2008, 04:08 PM
* no floods, tornados, hurricanes, traffic jams, smog, brownouts, blackouts, crowds, etc.........

Careful David...many in montana might get upset with you...trying to lure more ppl to your state.

David Kirk
06-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Careful David...many in montana might get upset with you...trying to lure more ppl to your state.

Me not afraid........the june snow storms scare all the non-hardy folks away.

dave

nm87710
06-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Years ago I did the Eco. Center race in Missoula over Mem. day weekend and suffered through the worst weather I've ever raced in. 3 days of racing in snow, pouring rain, temps never out of the 40's and snow sticking on the mtn passes. MT can be brrrrrr in June.

Although my favorite ride of all time is going over the Beartooth to Red Lodge in early June just after it was opened for the season. Riding with 5-10 foot snow on either side of the road was memorable...http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/images/beartooth/opening/05-23-a.avi

bigbill
06-11-2008, 05:01 PM
The weather here just sucked this morning for my commute. It looked foggy but it misted and drizzled on me for the entire hour and twenty minute ride to work. It's June and it was 45 degrees! I got a sunburn last month on consecutive 85 degree days. I am getting ready to ride home in an overcast 55 degrees with more rain and drizzle.

I have an excellent view of the Olympic mountains from my house and they have gained snow this spring.

Man, I used to commute in Hawaii.

shanerpvt
06-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Me not afraid........the june snow storms scare all the non-hardy folks away.

dave

I feel ya, Dave. I'm a kitten in the cold. My boss (wife) keeps pushing a move to Co.........but i resist.

stay warm,

shaner