PDA

View Full Version : Veloflex Pave Tires and Slime Lite Tubes

Sandy
10-04-2004, 04:32 PM
I used to use Vittoria Open Corsa tires, but they cut and flatted too much, so I gave up on them. Now I use Vittoria Open Corsa Evo-KX tires, which I like very much. They are somewhat heavy- 245 grams. I used to use 140-145 psi in the Open Corsa tires, and now use about 122-127 in the Vittoria Evo tires. The Pave tires weigh 180 grams.

Based upon forum comments, I purchased some Veloflex Pave tires. They look just like the old Vittoria Open Corsa tires that I had trouble with. I loved the ride, but couldn't tolerate the frequency of flats. I believe that the Veloflex tires are made in the old Vittoria plant. I am starting with 122 f, and 124 r.

Anyway, my experiment- I just put on my pair of Veloflex Pave tires with Slime Lite tubes, which are suppose to weigh 117 grams per tube. This evening will be my first ride with them. I hurt my back on Wednesday and it is also my first ride since Thursday on my mending back. I hope the tires, tubes, and back all last a great while.

Sandy

Sandy
10-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Vittoria, Veloflex, and Vredestein all produce excellent road tires. They are V words. I wonder why they all start with V. Most of you probably wonder why I even noticed, and why I even wonder about it.

Vondering Verotta Vandy

mavic1010
10-04-2004, 05:54 PM
I current use the slime liners and have yet to have a flat on the road caused by debris...And I've used the liners with Veloflex Pave and Vittoria open's...They are much liter than the tuffy liners and I think better protection than the spin skins.

toaster
10-04-2004, 06:38 PM
I used to use Veloflex Pave tires, loved 'em, and always ran a ultra-lightweight tube for a low mass rotating combination. I weight 180-190lbs and run 105 psi in front and 110 rear.

Flats and cuts are a matter of luck, I think, determined by what you happen to run over. All tires will cut, it's just that some tend to open up a slit easier than others.

That said, it still always has been about avoiding debris. I've gone thousands of miles on super lightweight tires and tubes with minimal cuts and no flats and then had a nasty cut and suffered a flat with new more durable and sometimes more expensive rubber 10 miles into a new set.

Right now I've been on Specialized S-Works Mondos and seen them cut first ride out and also been fortunate enough to get 3,000 kilometers out of the rear. Which seems to be my standard mileage for racing rubber at my body weight. I hate heavy tubes and there's no way I see that they prevent punctures. Once the tire carcass is breached by something sharp, any tube with high pressure will succumb to either a pinhole or a bigger split.

Oh, and forget slime. I know I'm going to have change a flat now and again.

Sandy
10-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Since I have ridden the Veloflex Pave/ Slime Lite tube combination a total of 10 miles around my neighborhood, I have designated myself as an expert on the matter. The expert says the following:

1. Nice ride, but no better than the Vittoria Open Corsa or Vittoria Open Corsa Evo tires.

2. The tires give a very quick feel to the front end, much more so than the Vitorria Open Corsa Evo tires. The perception is that one must stay on top of the tires more than the Evo tires. The Veloflex Pave tires seem similar to the Vredestein Forteeza Tri Comp in the aforementioned manner.

3. The Veloflex Pave/Slime Lite tires seem to roll very well, even better than the Vitorria tires.

4. The Veloflex Pave tires seem to accelerate and climb better up a hill. They just feel faster. That is a perception that I have. There is a little hill at the end of my street at which I often have tried to see what max speed I can reach on tires that I use. I reached 28.5 mph max on the hill, which is excellent for me for any tire.

So the expert's summary:

Fast tires, climb and accelerate quickly, nice ride, but no better than the Vittoria, and one must be on top of the tires more so than other brands.

Do you realize what I could say if I rode 20 miles?

Sandy

Sandy
10-04-2004, 07:06 PM
I don't mind changing tires at all. But the Vittoria Open Corsa tires seemed to flat so easily. I was using 140-145 psi at the time, so I know that made a difference.

Sandy

Dekonick
10-04-2004, 08:30 PM
OK - ok. So prove it and come ride with me. I look forward to eating your dust as I plod slowly behind with my oh so uncomfortable but bombproof Armodillo's.

Whatcha doing wednesday???

dgauthier
10-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Based upon forum comments, I purchased some Veloflex Pave tires. They look just like the old Vittoria Open Corsa tires that I had trouble with.

(. . .)

I am starting with 122 f, and 124 r.

Sandy

Since I was one of the most vocal advocates of the Pave's, I thought I might respond:

Your observations are pretty much spot on. The Pave's ride just like the Open Corsa's (which is good), but they are much lighter and feel faster (which is even better). Although they look just like the flat-prone Open Corsa's, I believe you will find the Pave's to be vastly more robust (which is better still). Time will tell.

As far as the "quick" feel to the front end: please note that you're pumping the Pave's up a bit too much. They're rated for only 7-8 bar. The conversion factor from bar to psi is 14.5, so we're talking 101.5 to 116 psi. Also, you may find that in order for the Pave's to feel "balanced", you need to put much less air in the front than in the rear compared to what you're used to. Try going just shy of 120 in the rear and 110 in front, and the front end will settle down a lot.

Sandy
10-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Thank you kindly for your well received suggestion and comments. I am riding tomorrow morning. I will put 120 in the rear and 115 in front and work my way down to your 110 and a little less than 120.

Sandy

Sandy
10-04-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm in for Wednesday (as long as my back is ok). Please let me know when and where and how to get there.

Sandy

froze
10-04-2004, 10:52 PM
DON'T USE THE SLIME TUBES!! Their crap; the slime crap will not seal even the smallest hole once the pressure exceeds 60 to 65psi!! And then it blows green slime all over the inside of your rim creating quite a mess. PLUS; the presta stem is the cheapest presta valve I've ever seen or used.

The weight of the Slime Tube is about 110grms for the lite version add the weight of a Pave tire at 180grms and you have a 290 gram tire set up that will still flat and wear out fast. So here's another idea IF you want to keep your weight down put prevent most flats. Conti makes a couple of tires called the 4 Seasons (220grms) and the Gatorskin (280gms) that would provide the best flat protection for the weight and both tires wear far longer then the Pave. Just add a 65-70grm ultralight tube and your set.

BUT if you want the best tire on the market for flat protection and the tire weight is no concern then the Specialize Armadillo is the ruling king. This tire is not only heavely protected in the tread area, but also heavely protected in the sidewall. This tire weighs about 345grms but again use a 65grm ultralight tube to hold the weight down as much as possible. I use the Armidillos because I commute to work and I like riding in remote areas. But I was using these because I use to live where goatheads flourished and now I don't, so I will be switching to one of the Conti's mentioned above when the Armadillos wear out.

Vanilla Gorilla
10-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Veloflex
a
n
i
l
l
alliroG

Dekonick
10-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Sandy - OK

Ill PM or call you - if you come to HoWIERD County, you can meet my dog! :banana:

Todd Owen
10-05-2004, 09:58 AM
I have had some poor luck lately with my pave tires but both times l pieces of glass which I think would have killed any tube. I run my tires at 110 max and weigh 205 and have not bottomed out or had a rim issue for the last 5 years. I am using the vrenstein tri comps and love them and they seem a bit less flat prone. There is still nothing better looking than a gumwall tire with the black tread imho and the veloflex are my favorite currently. It could be the 'dale is just too strong for such a delicate tire. ;) I have some veloflex crit. sewups and have not had a flat forever it seems, also run them at 110 but always watch for any debris and avoid it. hope the tire god smiles on you Sandy.

Sandy
10-05-2004, 01:08 PM
I rode, bad back and all, today for 30 miles, with the air pressure at 115 f, and 120 rear. That is the lowest pressure that I have used for several years or more. I must say that with the lower pressure up front, the wheel seemed to sit much better than when at 122. It was much more stable. Thanks!!

Sandy

zap
10-06-2004, 09:37 AM
Get tubulars!

Sandy
10-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Third ride in 3 days with the Veloflex Pave tires/Slime Lite tubes. I just might be falling in love with the tires. At 115 f and 120 rear, they seem to roll very well, seem fast, have an excellent ride quality, and seem to react well to pedal input.

Hopefully, I will not be having any real flat and cut problems. I am not sure about the tubes.

I might be falling in love with the Pave tires, just not as fast and so totally as what happened with sweet pea Calfee Kevan.

Sandman

Serotta PETE
10-06-2004, 10:40 PM
I though you were in love with Bailey....His feeling are hurt and he is back attacking the dog biscuits!!! He actually gave up chasing bikes after he met you!.

Come see us soon.....he is in mourning....

Pete :fight:

Sandy
10-08-2004, 06:27 PM
I don't think that I will ever forget Bagel Bailey stuffing that whole bagel down his throat before I could get that critter. At the very instant he was done, I could see the cogs moving in his brain, wondering what is the next bit of trouble I can get into, and the next, and the next,......

Gloria and I keep talking about getting down South to visit you, Spoke....
We must do it soon, before it gets too cold. I will get in touch with you and Spoke.

Please say hello to the Negotiator for me and Gloria, please.

Bailey's Friend