PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for a high perf fork that accepts up to a 28mm tire

velotel
06-11-2008, 01:18 AM
Anyone out there have experience with a light (all things being relative) high performance fork with clearances for up to a 28mm tire? My son (he's big, 6'4" or something, 200 lbs, very strong) is going to be building up a new Eriksen and is looking for a fork with which he can have a variety of riding options. I've got a Reynolds Ouzo Pro and I'm not sure I could get anything fatter than the 23s I'm currently running in there so that's obviously out of the running, as nice as it is.
Thanks

Marcusaurelius
06-11-2008, 01:26 AM
I used an Interloc Racing Design Mosaic 57 carbon road fork that felt very good. At the time I was using campagnolo brakes but long reach brakes would be better. Of course the surly pacer fork will accept 28mm tires but again long reach brakes would probably be needed.

If I remember correctly I think I was able squeeze 28mm tires on a bontrager fork once but that was some time ago and I'm not sure that would be possible with all 28mm tires or a newer fork.

BarryG
06-11-2008, 05:44 AM
My older Kestrel EMS Pro fork easily handles 28mm tires. You might just double check with Kestrel that the clearance hasn't changed in recent years.

old_school
06-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Wound Up makes a very nice fork that suits your bill. The Hampsten boys us it on their Strada Bianca (http://hampsten.com/Bikes/GravelRoad/stradabianca.html)

http://hampsten.com/images/models/thumbs/strada/2008/sb5_lg.jpg

Geoff
06-11-2008, 08:41 AM
my Ouzo Pro takes P2R 25mm which are almost 28 in the real world. Not much clearence but they fit.

G

dnades
06-11-2008, 09:10 AM
My Ouzo pro fits a rolly polly 27c and the Michelin Pro 25c no problem. Haven't broken a spoke though so it might hit if that happens. Probably a light 1/8th clearance with the r.p. and a heavy 1/8th clearance with the M.P.

hampco
06-11-2008, 09:18 AM
why noy build the bike for long-reach (57mm) calipers? then you could choose from wound up, alpha q cs25, or bontrager for the fork. all will take 28mm tires with ease; the wound up takes a 33mm tire no problem. and kent knows how to make all of this work just fine

dave thompson
06-11-2008, 10:48 AM
My 28MM tires have about 3~4MM clearance on the sides and top of the Ouzo Pro on my Quiring.

Ken C
06-11-2008, 10:57 AM
+1 on building the bike for long reach brakes. Why try and jam in a 28mm at its limits. I think it would be a much better idea to have it fit with room to spare and have the flexibility to go larger sometimes. Plus now there are more high performance forks for long reach brakes. There is no performance penalty.

Some of the fork recommendations above, the IRD and the Wound Up pictured on the Strada Biancha, are for long reach and putting them on a bike built for a standard reach in the back makes no sense to me.

velotel
06-11-2008, 01:33 PM
your responses are appreciated; I've sent a link off to my son so he can read them. Have to say I was amazed to see that some tires fatter than 23 are being run in Ouzo Pro forks. When I've looked at the space in mine, I've wondered if trying a 25 when I need to change tires would be worth it. But first I need to adjust my brakes a tad because the limiting factor at the moment are my M5 brakes; the 23s (Stelvios) just slide through. I need to put a spacer in to push the brakes ahead a tad so they clear the fork and can thus open a bit more. Thanks again