PDA

View Full Version : Sad news from Cincinnati

Bruce K
06-10-2008, 08:24 PM
For those of you who knew him:

I received a message today that Matt Schaeffer, who used to work for Kathy and David at Oakley Cycles lost his long-running battle with brain cancer today.

For those of us who were privelidged to know him, Matt was a kind, caring, and generous human being who was truly one of the gentle souls of this earth.

Even from just my 3 trips to the Sunflower Revolution events and the time spent with him around them, I will miss him greatly.

BK

vaxn8r
06-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Sorry to hear that. I didn't know him but have met Kathy and have been in that store many times...maybe I did meet him.

How old was he?

ald
06-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Bruce,

Matt lost his battle yesterday afternoon, nearly two years after his diagnosis, he beat the odds by surviving so long. He faced the last two years with the same gentle demeanor that I always knew from him.

Matt chucked a career as a comptroller in the corporate world twelve years ago and came to work at the shop. He also worked part time for Old St. George, a former Catholic church which has functioned as an interfaith community center, meeting place for social justice groups, and arts venue. Two of his passions were cycling (he loved Sean Kelly), music (he loved Dylan). I could always count on a good conversation with him about politics.

Over the past two months or so, I have gotten to meet much of his family, friends, college room mates etc. as they have been coming into town to visit. Their stories have ranged far and wide from all of his past experiences, but invariably the theme of the story came to acknowledge his grace, tolerance, and humor. Whether on the bike or off, Matt's was always the steady wheel to follow.

David

Bill Bove
06-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Sounds like the kind of guy we should all try to be more like, hopefully we will and he will live on.

kkrumme
06-12-2008, 07:22 PM
For those of you wondering, Matt was the tall handsome one, in his late forties, not to be confused with David, who is also handsome, but Much, much, older! For those of you in Cincinnati and elsewhere who knew him, we are sorry for your loss; we miss him very much!
Kathy