PDA

View Full Version : Rusty chain question?

Spectrum Bob
10-04-2004, 03:36 PM
I was quite surprised when I was out for a ride and my chain began to squeak. I looked down and it looked rusted.

This happened several weeks ago. I was getting in much higher mileage than usual. I had it well lubricated for the Bay County Century and two weeks later it’s squeaking. I have been using pro gold for some time and usually lube my chain every two or three weeks. I was sweating a lot during this time and I am guessing that a lot of sweat ended up on my drive chain.

I got home and lubed my chain really well, it now has a rusty color to the chain but it is running quietly and shifts well.

I have cleaned it several times with solvent and shop rags and re-lubed it but it still has this rusty look.

I have been checking it every week for stretch and it is still under the 75% mark.
By the way it is a C10 chain.

Any suggestions?
Do I need to replace it?

RichMc
10-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Had a similar incident a year ago. I'd say that you should derail the chain off of the chainwheels and then slowly rotate it through the entire length of the chain. It should feel "liquid smooth" as it passes over your hands. If there are any sections where the roller pins are stiff and kind of "kinked" then go ahead and replace the chain. They are inexpensive compared to the extra wear it might cause to the cranks and cassette.

TmcDet
10-05-2004, 12:56 PM
I would replace the chain @ the 75% mark even if it wasn't rusted. Most people that I have talked to do not run the C10 that long, some even replace as often as every 1000 miles.