PDA

View Full Version : Hilton Head Cycling

JMerring
06-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Anyone have any insight on rides/clubs in (or starting in) Hilton Head, SC? Those with whom I ride regularly say that you cycle in Hilton Head only if you have a death wish (excepting, of course, riding a bicycle on the bike paths, but that's not what I'm getting at).

Am going there soon and would like to take running shoes AND a bicycle if I'll get to us it...

davidlee
06-10-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm in Charleston for the rest of the month. About an hour from Hilton Head.
PM me if you want to do some riding here. Be forewarned, BIG HEAT right now.
David

trophyoftexas
06-10-2008, 10:39 AM
...in a few years but from what I can remember I'd about as soon ride on I-75 in downtown Atlanta! Lovely place but the traffic was terrible, hope it's changed some for you!

weatherman
06-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Anyone have any insight on rides/clubs in (or starting in) Hilton Head, SC? Those with whom I ride regularly say that you cycle in Hilton Head only if you have a death wish (excepting, of course, riding a bicycle on the bike paths, but that's not what I'm getting at).

Am going there soon and would like to take running shoes AND a bicycle if I'll get to us it...

From what I can see, I think your info is spot on. I saw only a couple of road cyclists and it seemed like the roads were always narrow, heavily trafficed, lots of blindspots etc and quite frankly, really not very cycling friendly. I saw a few road bikes on the many miles of bike paths on the island, but confined my riding to the "beach" variety--rented a cruiser and just rolled the sand! With the wind, it can be quite a workout! And yes, it was very hot!

Have a safe trip and lots of fun!

steve575
06-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Leave your road bike at home. Rent a fat tire. You can get anywhere by bike path, but the roads are not very bike friendly. It really is a great place to ride a cruiser. Slow down and relax, it's vacation.

weatherman
06-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Leave your road bike at home. Rent a fat tire. You can get anywhere by bike path, but the roads are not very bike friendly. It really is a great place to ride a cruiser. Slow down and relax, it's vacation.

Beaches are great for riding there!!

bigbill
06-10-2008, 01:59 PM
The closest group ride would be in Beaufort which is 30-40 minutes away. Hilton Head is great for beaches and hotels but it sucks for cycling. I don't know if they still have it, but there used to be a criterium there on a closed course and it was unfriendly. People would walk out in the road in front of the pack and just stand there like the bikes were going to stop for them. I crashed hard there in 1994 and after I put my bike away I was sitting on the tailgate of my truck scrubbing gravel out of my leg while cars honked at me to move so they could have my spot.

JMerring
06-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Road bike will be left at home - cruiser and long runs it is.

Scott Shire
04-30-2011, 12:32 PM
If I'm willing to take my chances, are there any solid spots to ride?

And at ~120 lbs, can I ride skinny tires on the beach?

Minstrie
04-30-2011, 06:16 PM
If I'm willing to take my chances, are there any solid spots to ride?

And at ~120 lbs, can I ride skinny tires on the beach?

Sure, why not?

Ryun
04-30-2011, 06:29 PM
We rent a house for a week each summer and I take my road bike. I ride round 7am and the traffic is ok. I wouldnt describe it as deadly but not exactly peaceful. A couple of 30ish loops is all you will get in without leaving the island. Mid day and early evening would not be a good idea.
There are a couple of routes on map my ride that I use and have never had a problem except for some vocal vacationers that didnt see why I wasnt on the path

Scott Shire
05-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I will try to take detailed notes for future reference.