PDA

View Full Version : ultratorque cranks on a cross bike - tech questions

d_douglas
06-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Hello -

I am thinking of putting centaur alu compact cranks on my Redline ti commuter / cross bike.

Here's my question: if the teeth of the integrated axle are of a predetermined length and my BB is a standard width (68mm) is there a risk that the crankarms will not clear the chainstays, which are made for fat tires and not skinny road tires?

How does this work?

Thanks for your quick replies!!!

Darren

Dave
06-10-2008, 08:18 AM
The risk of contact would be no different than any outboard crank. None of them have the ability to change the overall width significantly.

If people are building frames that won't accept standard road cranks, it seems that they should publish a warning about the problem. This would limit your choice of cranks to ISIS or square taper types, where a longer than normal BB spindle length might be available. Using a longer than normal spindle will foul up the chainline.

Marcusaurelius
06-10-2008, 10:08 AM
It is a litle more difficult to find 48/38 or 48/36 cyclocross chainrings for a campagnolo crankset.

petitelilpettit
06-10-2008, 11:07 AM
It is a litle more difficult to find 48/38 or 48/36 cyclocross chainrings for a campagnolo crankset.

Only ones I can find are T.A. Specialties.

Pettit

acorn_user
06-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Stronglight make them too. Last time I checked, they were hidden under the news section of their website.

itspeedmoore
06-10-2008, 11:20 AM
You can modify other chainrings as well. I run a compact ultra-torque crank with FSA 36-46 rings. Just file out one of the holes a bit and it bolts up easy. I also built in a peg to keep the chain from falling between the arm and the spider. Its pretty clean looking.