PDA

View Full Version : OT: New G3 iPhone coming in July...

SoCalSteve
06-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi all,

Anyone interested in the new G3 iPhone thats coming out in July? Or, do you think they are over-rated?

Just askin',

Steve

chakatrain
06-09-2008, 06:53 PM
I think they're cool. I want one.

They are probably overrated, though. I can't believe all the free publicity the announcement made here in the SF Bay Area. Headline news today, if you can believe that. Samsung, LG, Motorola, Nokia, etc., must be killing themselves over how to get publicity like that.

IXXI
06-09-2008, 07:15 PM
July 11 cant get here soon enough. I'll buy, pay my cancellation fee to t-mobile and be busy that night.

dave thompson
06-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Jayzuz, it's a telephone. It rings, you say hello. End of story.

To be clear, I'm an old guy that hates applications of technology merely for the sake of technology. To be good, something needs to be truly useful, easy to use, come with a three page owners manual and do what it's title implies. The IPhone only scores one out of three.

SoCalSteve
06-09-2008, 07:52 PM

To be clear, I'm an old guy that hates applications of technology merely for the sake of technology. To be good, something needs to be truly useful, easy to use, come with a three page owners manual and do what it's title implies. The IPhone only scores one out of three.

I think that's 4 things...But, we'll give it to you because your an old guy.

From what I can tell, the iPhone is truly useful, very easy to use, probably DOES NOT have a 3 page owners manual and not so sure which title you are speaking of...

Just sayin'

Steve

Jeff Weir
06-09-2008, 08:09 PM
FWIW, if you've ever used an iphone you would understand what a great user interface it has. Nothing comes close. the new phone will be faster for internet connections etc, but nothing beats it as far as design and interface. Oh yeah, it makes pretty good phone calls too. Stop thinking about it and just do it. It's $200.00. that's the price of a freekin brooks saddle.

paczki
06-09-2008, 08:11 PM
The GPS should be pretty darned useful. Wonder if I can make a handlebar mount!

SoCalSteve
06-09-2008, 08:16 PM
FWIW, if you've ever used an iphone you would understand what a great user interface it has. Nothing comes close. the new phone will be faster for internet connections etc, but nothing beats it as far as design and interface. Oh yeah, it makes pretty good phone calls too. Stop thinking about it and just do it. It's $200.00. that's the price of a freekin brooks saddle.

I am all over it! I dont care if its double that price, I want one...

I was just curious as to what other people thought about it and wondering if there are going to be lines on July 11th.

Steve

maunahaole
06-09-2008, 08:33 PM

I saw some blurb in my free issue of outside mag about some software that interfaces with a gps enabled phone that gives realtime tracking capabilities. If you can data record with it, that might just be something...

Bruce K
06-09-2008, 08:34 PM
That's what I've been waiting to hear so I can retire my Razr.

I am waiting to see how many versions (if any) and how much first.

Hopefully the current models will get revamped and the prices will drop a little, but who knows.

BK

SoCalSteve
06-09-2008, 08:51 PM
That's what I've been waiting to hear so I can retire my Razr.

I am waiting to see how many versions (if any) and how much first.

Hopefully the current models will get revamped and the prices will drop a little, but who knows.
BK

Here ya go: http://www.apple.com/iphone/

rwsaunders
06-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Dave T. sending email on his wireless network.

happycampyer
06-09-2008, 09:00 PM
IMO, the iPhone is truly hors categorie...even more revolutionary to the cellphone/PDA, etc. market than the iPod was to the market for portable music devices. Let's hope that businesses support it alongside/in place of RIM...

SoCalSteve
06-09-2008, 09:02 PM
IMO, the iPhone is truly hors categorie...even more revolutionary to the cellphone/PDA, etc. market than the iPod was to the market for portable music devices. Let's hope that businesses support it alongside/in place of RIM...

So, what would that mean if I were to use my iPhone while riding my Hors Categorie?

Just askin'

Steve

maunahaole
06-09-2008, 09:13 PM
So, what would that mean if I were to use my iPhone while riding my Hors Categorie?

Just askin'

Steve

It would probably mean that you were a dork. So just don't be multitaksing in such a fashion.

pdmtong
06-09-2008, 09:13 PM
now that exchange server is supported, it's a done deal on my end

H1449-6
06-09-2008, 09:19 PM
In for one. I'm quite interested in the MobileMe service as well.

dave thompson
06-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Dave T. sending email on his wireless network.
Thanks a bunch Bob! Every now and then I have my Andy Rooney moments. Excessive technology pushes a big hot button I have.

fmbp
06-09-2008, 09:29 PM
The wife has agreed. 3G iPhone will be mine. I can't wait. It'll be a perfect present for this boy with a mid-July birthday.

rwsaunders
06-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks a bunch Bob! Every now and then I have my Andy Rooney moments. Excessive technology pushes a big hot button I have.

I hear you Dave. I sent the "on demand" converter box back to the cable company an few years back, as my wife and kids would call me daily regarding a programming question. No more calls with basic cable.

tys
06-09-2008, 10:45 PM
My current iPhone is my all-time favorite non-bike material possession. It made my old phone, laptop, camera, ipod, and palm pilot obsolete in one fell swoop. With GPS, it ought to make my bike computer obsolete as well (as soon as someone writes a good app) I'm buying a new 3G 16GB as soon as I can get my grubby little hands on one! :banana:

BoulderGeek
06-09-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm an Apple Kook-Aid drinker since 1985. Got me into computers and paid for my lifestyle.

I wouldn't get an iPhone until it takes multinational SIM cards and works unlocked, without any specific carrier contract to get in the door.

Once it is open, most definitely.

until then, perhaps Google Android.

Of course, I'm locked on the Ice until November, so maybe 2009 will see some of the openness I'd require.

Your_Friend!
06-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Friends!

My i_Phone

Ranks As The

Material_Object

That Has Had

The Greatest_Impact

On My Silly_Life

Since My First_Bicycle!

i_Phone Even Helps_Me

On My Bike_Rides!

Love,
Y_F!

shinomaster
06-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Friends!

My i_Phone

Ranks As The

Material_Object

That Has Had

The Greatest_Impact

On My Silly_Life

Since My First_Bicycle!

i_Phone Even Helps_Me

On My Bike_Rides!

Love,
Y_F!

Dear Friend,

How is you life better with an I_Phone? Do tell..

Hearts,

Shino

Kane
06-10-2008, 02:46 AM

if you ride in an area with bad reception.

In theory, since I ride in Marin County which is arguably the richest place in the world we should have great reception. But, half the county is sans reception.

Cheers,

gt6267a
06-10-2008, 07:44 AM
i've been on sprint since 1998. my contract is up and the new iphone will probably be what pushes me to switch networks.

Pete Serotta
06-10-2008, 07:49 AM
If Verizon eventually offers one, I am a customer. ATT in this area has spotty coverage.

cadence231
06-10-2008, 09:02 AM
I was waiting for this price drop! And now with better features I'm all in! http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/cadence220/jumprope.gif

CNY rider
06-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Friends!

My i_Phone

Ranks As The

Material_Object

That Has Had

The Greatest_Impact

On My Silly_Life

Since My First_Bicycle!

i_Phone Even Helps_Me

On My Bike_Rides!

Love,
Y_F!

Is the new iPhone flipper compatible?

Ray
06-10-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm not gonna get into the specifics of the Iphone, but I'll defend the whole "smartphone" thing to the depths of, well, whatever...

I recently brokedown and got a Blackberry Pearl 8120. Its a shade bigger than the cell phone I was using, but it enabled me to kill my PDA, set aside my high capacity music player for special occasions, and basically have all of my key information at my fingertips ALL THE TIME. And its smaller than any other smartphone out there. So Far. This is very useful to me. Having my calendar, full contact list, to do list, notepad, map application, email, adequate web-surfing, adequate camera and video cam, and various other little doo-dads in my hip pocket is truly one of the wonders of the modern age. I love gadgets and buy my share of 'em. Most of them I like, but quickly realize I was just fine without it. But the Blackberry is one of those things that within a couple of weeks, I couldn't remember what life was like before I had it. I use it many times every day and its made any number of tasks much more portable and easier to get at.

I'm mostly in-debt to the iphone because its pushing everyone else to do it better. I know it has a better web-browser and now has GPS, but the typing is easier on the Blackberry and its available on the network I was already using, so no penalties and better reception in the areas I mostly travel. The Blackberry is more than awesome enough for my needs. The Blackberry also has wi-fi, so when I'm in a wireless area, which I am pretty often, I get better performance than G3. And when I'm limited to the Edge network, its still not bad at all.

-Ray

Ti Designs
06-10-2008, 10:07 AM
My question to y'all is this: If you have a split second and your options are think or use the i-phone, which one do you pick? I have nothing against the new technology, but I draw the line at idiots with i-phones. The ipod explosion has lead to serious increases in traffic accidents - the number of people who just walk into traffic and get hit has jumped up over 1000% If you're not an idiot without the electronics, and you are an idiot with the electronics, is it such a good thing???

dnades
06-10-2008, 10:44 AM
A friend of mine got the iphone when it came out. Very slick piece of work. For a phone it took great pictures. My cell phone had gotten stolen oh about 6 years ago. I never replaced it. I never missed it. I had only one instance where it would've been useful. IF there was any reception in that area. When people find out that I don't carry a cell phone there is usually a pause in the conversation followed by "oh man, really? No cellphone? Whatever you do, don't get one. I wish I didn't have one". I mean they are a very nice piece of technology and all but it ties you to your work 24/7 and that can be very tiring. Plus it seems as if the art of planning has taken a nose dive. Almost all the people I hear on cell phones are calling because they are either running late or bored. Isn't if 'fun' to listen to someone's diatribe :argue: in a public place and when they notice you are listening(since you can't get away from it and they are yelling) they give you a look like you are the rude one?

It is a combination machine that is dependent on a larger infrastructure to operate completely. Very pretty on the bling scale but..... Oh whatever did mankind do before the invention of the phone/answering machine?

Acotts
06-10-2008, 10:54 AM
All evolution is a result of an organisms biological response to a changing enviroment.

Now days, we dont need to bioloical respond as we either invent a technology to respond to enviromental changes, or we manipulate the envirment itself.

...just something to think about.

Ozz
06-10-2008, 10:56 AM
...the Blackberry is one of those things that within a couple of weeks, I couldn't remember what life was like before I had it....
LOL - hence the nickname "crack-berry" :)

I've only owned 3 phones since 1994....I only make calls....never had a camera phone....and don't text message.

I do emails and phone calls all day...these tasks are disguised as "work"....I guess I don't get how much more "connected" one needs to be.

I guess it could be fun to have my music / phone / web browser all in one place when I'm riding home on the bus....hardly essential to my well being.

That said, I like my iPod and am sure Apple is rolling out a fine product. But I'll wait for the price to come down.... ;)

shinomaster
06-10-2008, 10:57 AM
My question to y'all is this: If you have a split second and your options are think or use the i-phone, which one do you pick? I have nothing against the new technology, but I draw the line at idiots with i-phones. The ipod explosion has lead to serious increases in traffic accidents - the number of people who just walk into traffic and get hit has jumped up over 1000% If you're not an idiot without the electronics, and you are an idiot with the electronics, is it such a good thing???

Natural selection.

Ray
06-10-2008, 10:58 AM
We've had this discussion before. You can become a slave to the technology or you can make it work for you. Whether or not all of the instant access to information is making us smarter or dumber is a big and interesting issue, but that goes back to PCs and Google and smart phones are just one small evolutionary step in that process.

I know lots of people are slaves to their cell-phones and rue the day they got them. But you don't have to be. I use mine when I want to and ignore it otherwise. My wife and family have their own ringtones so I know if I need to pick up those calls. Business calls have a different ringtone. Some folks think these devices prevent them from ever leaving their "virtual desk". I feel like they allow me to spend much more time away from my real desk, knowing that I'll still be able to deal with the one or two critical things that will come up when I'm not there. To me, they're all upside as long as you control the technology and not the other way around.

-Ray

dave thompson
06-10-2008, 10:58 AM
A friend of mine got the iphone when it came out. Very slick piece of work. For a phone it took great pictures. My cell phone had gotten stolen oh about 6 years ago. I never replaced it. I never missed it. I had only one instance where it would've been useful. IF there was any reception in that area. When people find out that I don't carry a cell phone there is usually a pause in the conversation followed by "oh man, really? No cellphone? Whatever you do, don't get one. I wish I didn't have one". I mean they are a very nice piece of technology and all but it ties you to your work 24/7 and that can be very tiring. Plus it seems as if the art of planning has taken a nose dive. Almost all the people I hear on cell phones are calling because they are either running late or bored. Isn't if 'fun' to listen to someone's diatribe :argue: in a public place and when they notice you are listening(since you can't get away from it and they are yelling) they give you a look like you are the rude one?

It is a combination machine that is dependent on a larger infrastructure to operate completely. Very pretty on the bling scale but..... Oh whatever did mankind do before the invention of the phone/answering machine?
...and to add to these thoughts, when did we become such slaves to technology that we must have these, be married to them 24/7 and when using them cause common sense and good manners to disappear?

I predict that cell phones in general and the IPhone in particular signal the end of civilization as we know it. :rolleyes:

ColdRider
06-10-2008, 11:15 AM
I will be very interested when it comes out. I'll preamble this by saying that next to Bill Gates, you probably have a picture of me amongst the people that hate Apple the most. It's the "I-Lifestyle" that I cannot stand : sell me what it does, not how it makes me look...

That said, I'll give props where props is due and I have said it when I used the the first generation of Ipods : anyone ever considering going into the MP3 device market should copy Ipods interface to a Tee. Change colors, words, flip it upside-down, but geeze make a clone of their interface. It is without a doubt the best one out there and probably still is.

Then I went to Bestbuy to kill time last week... and played with the ITouch... The Ipod seemed archaic and prehistorical. My contract is going to be due soon and was looking at smartphones and will definitely take a *long* look at the Iphone. Just a note tho... if you think you can type/text with their touch keyboard using your fingers... good luck. I watched their video with a guy typing on the virtual keyboard, that was very very funny. I have tiny hands and that experience was frustrating to say the least.

Make Calls - Check
Text - Check
Music - Check
PDA - Check
GPS - Check
Web - Check

What is not to like? And it's finally coming "legally" to Canada with a good provider.

vaxn8r
06-10-2008, 03:40 PM
...The Blackberry also has wi-fi, so when I'm in a wireless area, which I am pretty often, I get better performance than G3. And when I'm limited to the Edge network, its still not bad at all.

-Ray
Ray, I have a current iphone. It has wifi so I don't get your comment. Is the G3 different?

Ray
06-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Ray, I have a current iphone. It has wifi so I don't get your comment. Is the G3 different?
My mistake - I didn't know the iphones had wi-fi. G3 is supposed to be faster than the cell network you can use with your first generation one, but wi fi should be faster than either. I find that for email and the limited amount of web stuff I do on the blackberry, the basic cell phone connection is plenty fast enough. Even using Google maps on the go (which I've done quite a bit of), it redraws everything plenty fast.

-Ray

SoCalSteve
06-10-2008, 05:55 PM
My mistake - I didn't know the iphones had wi-fi. G3 is supposed to be faster than the cell network you can use with your first generation one, but wi fi should be faster than either. I find that for email and the limited amount of web stuff I do on the blackberry, the basic cell phone connection is plenty fast enough. Even using Google maps on the go (which I've done quite a bit of), it redraws everything plenty fast.

-Ray

The current iPhone has WiFi, not sure if the 3G model will have it - or need it. My Sprint HTC Touch has 3G and does not have or need WiFi.

Just sayin'

Steve

BoulderGeek
06-10-2008, 10:21 PM
The new iPhone has EDGE, WiFi and 3G networking built in. It will automagically select the fastest available at the time.

In your house, for example, you should just be able to use it like a WiFi web tablet.

Too bad they didn't put the camera on the front, so you could use iChat video conferencing on it. Seems like a grotesque omission. Maybe the next generation....

victoryfactory
06-11-2008, 07:18 AM
I've been looking for the "perfect" smart phone forever.
The new iphone looks like the best bet so far.
It has gps capability, 3G speed, wifi and a great user interface.

Currently, I use an AT&T 8125. Good phone but a little too big for
a bike ride.
My solution has been to swap the sim card into my old small phone
for riding, running etc. Then re install in the big phone for work, etc.
I was told that the current iphone sim can be moved back and forth
but they are not sure yet about the new model.

If the 'ol sim-swap works, sign me up for a new iphone!

VF

jpw
06-11-2008, 07:51 AM

I so heartily agree. There's just so much tech trash out there just desperately looking for a reason for being..and not finding one. I blame tech stock shareholders for inflicting all this garbage on the world. Revolt before it's too late. Steve Jobs, repent.

Yours,

Ned Ludd.

Homsie
06-11-2008, 01:46 PM
I was waiting for this price drop! And now with better features I'm all in! http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/cadence220/jumprope.gif

They dropped the price of the 3G IPhone, but changed the activation requirements. You can't just buy a 3G IPhone and activate it when you get home...or unlock it and activate it elsewhere. They (AT&T) require you to activate it at the store and to agree to a 2 year contract....and oh, BTW, they raised their monthly data plan by $10/month to recoup the money that they spent subsidizing your purchase. That works out to $240 over your contract period...it's essentially a bait and switch!!! I'm not saying that the new 3G IPhone won't be better...just that it's not really cheaper.

James