PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Ride Report: Jimmy Buffett, Sweet tea, The Little Prince and a 1984 Serotta

M.Sommers
06-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Rode yesterday and felt great. Today it was even hotter, upper 90's. I love the summer on Long Island, sun, heat, humidity, BBQ grilling and exercise. Today the humid air was thick, everyone knew the sky was going to explode. I left before it rained, rode along smelling burgers, steaks, chicken, sauces of garlic in the air as folks everywhere had their grills fired up. Arrived at the beach/shelter well into the summer squall. Soaked, I sat on the bench and waited for the lightning to pass, then I jumped in The Sound and cooled off. This is the beach that Antoine de Saint Exupéry fled to from Europe in WWII and the exact location where he wrote 'The Little Prince' in 1942.

The wind picked up to low thirties, what Jimmy Buffett would call a "Banana wind" (what they call in the islands where it's strong enough to blow bananas off trees) with dense rain. Some sweet tea with lemon is always on hand for summer rides.

M.Sommers
06-08-2008, 07:12 PM
So after the swim, the sun came out. These summer squalls last 15-45 minutes. People freak out, boaters wig out, it's just a storm and it's over before it began.

I think I found Jonathon Livingston Seagull and I did find some Indian paint rocks on the beach too for Shino. I dunno what they are really, I just know they are scattered all around our beaches and as kids we used to wet them and then paint our faces like Indians. Are they remnants of Indian tribes? Ancient civilizations? We'll find out, as we watch 'In Search Of...' with Leonard Nimoy atmo...

My left foot needs surgery, badly. I fractured my great toe and need to have it re-fractured, set with some pins. I'll get it done this Fall when there is nothing better to do, for now I ride in pain as the big piggy is way outta place.

So I took a shower, rinsed off and headed back to town. It was sunny, but not for long....

M.Sommers
06-08-2008, 07:13 PM
The storm came back for round 2. I ducked into a LCS (local coffee shop) just in time to get out of the serious storm, read the paper and had a nice snack.

I'm going to kick back after a nice hot shower and read LeMond's 'Complete Book of Cycling'. I never read it before and look forward to some tea and what I believe is a cool book. LeMond beat those ****ing Russians in 1981, I read all about it back in the day. I think Armstrong is the Prince of American cycling, but LeMond is King.

:beer:

chuckroast
06-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Bro that is a pretty bike. Post a better picture would ya?

39cross
06-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the story and pics. I broke my little toe two years ago, now that was painful. I don't know how one could live with a broken toe like that awaiting surgery, but I guess you do what you gotta do, good luck with it.

73Camaro_Dude
06-09-2008, 07:07 AM

OP: complaining about toe pain? You whine like a girl... ;)

Do you think accelerade would do well to come in a sweet tea flavor? I also find the placement of your various cycling bits while playing in the sand a bit OCD.

another rider from raytown? Thats it. Im leaving. This board isn't big enough for the two of us.

Ive got to go to Benettis.

chuckroast
06-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Small world huh?

handsomerob
06-09-2008, 08:15 AM

here are some better pics, sans the nicer wheelset... http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=498049&postcount=56

M.Sommers
06-09-2008, 08:44 AM
here are some better pics, sans the nicer wheelset... http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=498049&postcount=56

The bike is part Ark is it went through twelve inch streams yesterday. An Ark, the basis for the first Indy movie. Harrison Ford, Indy, Han Solo. It all goes back to Han Solo. :beer:

flickwet
06-09-2008, 11:52 AM
All rides have there little idyllic moments, yours have more than most, cause you make them that way. Thank-you for sharing

Your_Friend!
06-09-2008, 12:03 PM
M_Sommers!

Very Nice Ride_Report!

You Are A Wonderful_Storyteller!

Love,
Y_F!

rwsaunders
06-09-2008, 12:14 PM
LCS......local coffee shop added to the dictionary.

kipjac
06-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the story and pics. I broke my little toe two years ago, now that was painful. I don't know how one could live with a broken toe like that awaiting surgery, but I guess you do what you gotta do, good luck with it.

I broke my second toe on the left foot last summer when I jumped on my teenage son's back after a game of volleyball. My foot banged against his leg and I heard a distinct crack followed by immediate sharp pain and deformity of the toe.

It hurt like a motha, but I just let it heal by itself. It took about 8 weeks to finally see all the swelling subside and now the tow is about 3-4 mm shorter than it used to be. Surprisingly, it didn't hurt much to ride...only with walking.

M.Sommers
06-09-2008, 12:20 PM
I broke my second toe on the left foot last summer when I jumped on my teenage son's back after a game of volleyball. My foot banged against his leg and I heard a distinct crack followed by immediate sharp pain and deformity of the toe.

It hurt like a motha, but I just let it heal by itself. It took about 8 weeks to finally see all the swelling subside and now the tow is about 3-4 mm shorter than it used to be. Surprisingly, it didn't hurt much to ride...only with walking.

I fractured the left great toe surfing. Snap. I let it heal. Then a few years ago I fell and scrapped the skin down to the bone. It wouldn't heal. I had to pull it all back together with steri-strips and cover it with UPS shipping tape for a bike ride. Now my left calf is atrophied, the left foot is lame and when I wake up in the am, the big piggy has moved, he's crossed under his neighboring toe. It'll be a bunion surgery, 6-8 weeks of being a lame duck. :bike:

hoss
06-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Great read, thanks for the write up.