PDA

View Full Version : Tour de Cure

roadie7
06-08-2008, 05:39 AM
Yesterday I did the Maryland Tour de Cure starting from Elicott City. The goal is to raise funds for diabetes research. By and large the event was well organized. Given my lack of training and the heat, I did the 50K (32mile) leg instead of the 100K one. The starting area was well laid out to register, parking was plentiful and the park police made sure everything went well. Also, the organizers sent out an e-mail urging riders to consider their training in heat and focus on the shorter leg if they have not trained in high heat and humitdity. This was a great idea and, I'm sure helped many riders.

I'm mentioning all this because, if there are ride organizers in the forum, this ride gave a number of lessons learned. The rest stops were a major disappointment. First there was no ice for riders' water bottles or to keep the drinks cold. At the first rest area, the water bottles and thermos of water were cool to warm; not terribly enticing. Second, the first rest stop did not have sports drinks; just water. This may not have been a big deal except it was in the 90's with high humidity. The second rest stop table was set up in the sun so the water and small gaterorade bottles were warm.

While these are significant deficiencies, I'd do the ride again for the cause and the many fine riders I met.

xjoex
06-08-2008, 08:05 AM
I am doing the 100 mile tour de cure in Pittburgh next week, I did it last year as well. I had no problems with the rest stops, they were nice. However the route markings were abysmal.

Just in case anyone wants to donate to diabetes research you can sponsor me at http://main.diabetes.org/goto/boulderjoe

Thanks,
-Joe

pedalcr8z
06-08-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm doing it at the Indianapolis 500 Race Track next Sat. the 14th and I'm pumped. I've done it several years now at the track and it's like riding on a mirror except the start/stop finish line which is a couple feet of original bricks.
We get the track for 5 hours and the best I've done is 34 laps which is 85 miles and I'd like to do 100 this time as I'm in the best cycling shape of my 56 years around this planet. There's actually a climb between turns 1 & 2 that starts to get to you at about a dozen laps or so. I work for Bicycle Garage Indy and bought an Ottrott last fall so this year's ride will be especially momentous. My father died from the disease so the ride means alot to me.

Tom
06-08-2008, 09:18 AM
I have to work; can't make a day of it.

That said, it's going to be pretty bad out there. Low 90s, dewpoints in the 70s, small headwind for the last 30-40 miles. First long ride of the year for some, they'll get caught up in the moment, 40 miles out they'll be cramping so bad they'll think their muscles are coming right off the bone.

This is a day you really really appreciate all those people that volunteer to see that something like this can go off and everybody makes it home OK.

soulspinner
06-08-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm doing it at the Indianapolis 500 Race Track next Sat. the 14th and I'm pumped. I've done it several years now at the track and it's like riding on a mirror except the start/stop finish line which is a couple feet of original bricks.
We get the track for 5 hours and the best I've done is 34 laps which is 85 miles and I'd like to do 100 this time as I'm in the best cycling shape of my 56 years around this planet. There's actually a climb between turns 1 & 2 that starts to get to you at about a dozen laps or so. I work for Bicycle Garage Indy and bought an Ottrott last fall so this year's ride will be especially momentous. My father died from the disease so the ride means alot to me.

Best of luck-you can do it! :beer:

pbbob
06-08-2008, 03:05 PM
roadie7 you went right by my house then. I asked the wife why the hell did they have the rest stop at clemens crossing elementary school set up in the direct sun with absolutely no shade anywhere? several riders I saw looked like heat stroke ready to happen. they didn't carry any extra fluids.
I didn't do that ride. I rode a bunch on friday and this morning instead.

ds97a
06-08-2008, 05:51 PM
I rode the Tour in Stillwater NY. I had an opportunity to speak with several great folks on the ride. The volunteers were fabulous! I stopped once because I was only riding the fifty mile course and had a time goal that I wanted to achieve. The stop at the turn around (30 mi) was well stocked with nice folks and great snacks!

What bothered me was the way they staggered the shorter course riders, many of whom were inexperienced riders. I was riding pretty aggressively, for me, and riders were scattered all over the road, pretty unaware of folks wanting to pass without getting hit. I don't really know a solution for this other than to have a "familiarization speech" before riders take off.

Mind you, this was not THAT big of a deal. The event was quite successful and raised a great chunk of money or a great cause!

-Dan

barry1021
06-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Yesterday was the first time they did a full century, longest has always been a metric century. The route was well marked until the 100 mile separated from the 62 mile and then...virtually nothing. Hooked up with some of Bruce K's friends to be guided around, still got lost twice and never did get back to the finish. They said the 100 mile marks must have been "washed away" (!). Did they do them in chalk?? It really ruined for me what was a much improved ride until the split. At least I got 100 miles in.....

b21

Bruce K
06-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Gee Barry, I saw marks all the way back to Gloucester. :rolleyes: :D

The bail-out was a good idea as I woke up this morning with my back still in knots. :crap:

It's a little better now so we'll see about tonights ride.

All I can say iss that compared to other cycling events I've ridden in, this one was the most amateurish. But then again, the number of riders seemed to be akin to a large club ride (which would have less support).

It's for a good cause so you jump in with both feet.

Hopefully we'll have a good group next weekend.

BK

barry1021
06-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Gee Barry, I saw marks all the way back to Gloucester. :rolleyes: :D

The bail-out was a good idea as I woke up this morning with my back still in knots. :crap:

It's a little better now so we'll see about tonights ride.

All I can say iss that compared to other cycling events I've ridden in, this one was the most amateurish. But then again, the number of riders seemed to be akin to a large club ride (which would have less support).

It's for a good cause so you jump in with both feet.

Hopefully we'll have a good group next weekend.

BK

Actually the part you rode was the best ever!! It's all relative.

39cross
06-10-2008, 06:48 AM
At least I got 100 miles in.....b21Congrats on running a century Sunday in that heat. I had forgotten about the Tour ride until I met a bunch of riders heading out of Gloucester on Rte 127 early Sunday morning. I encountered others in staggered groups coming clockwise around Cape Ann, I was headed counterclockwise. I was surprised how hot I was by the time I sat down for an iced coffee on Main Street, and glad to head home for the barn. Too bad about the missing marks, but at least you returned safely with your miles.

barry1021
06-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Congrats on running a century Sunday in that heat. I had forgotten about the Tour ride until I met a bunch of riders heading out of Gloucester on Rte 127 early Sunday morning. I encountered others in staggered groups coming clockwise around Cape Ann, I was headed counterclockwise. I was surprised how hot I was by the time I sat down for an iced coffee on Main Street, and glad to head home for the barn. Too bad about the missing marks, but at least you returned safely with your miles.

Thx, would have been nice to cross the finish line tho. Over 6 hours in the saddle was enough....

Bruce K
06-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Funny that we didn't run into you, Rick.

I'm guessing the iced coffee at Lone Gull really hit the spot.

BK