PDA

View Full Version : Can you say PHILLY!

girlie
06-07-2008, 06:32 PM
That's all I got........... maybe pictures later.

I know I'm just excited.......I took the Fung Wah bus for $15.00 from Boston to NYC....it broke down in Queens when it's 93 degrees out:) Some random guy gave 9 of us a ride for $5.00 in his van, yes van.
Philly or bust:)

false_Aest
06-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Just be glad that the bus didn't get held up OR caught on fire.

Next time use Lucky Star.

Pete Serotta
06-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Sounds like you really got the chance to see the locale..... Hope the rest of the day went better. PETE

Ray
06-07-2008, 07:47 PM
It was a hot and humid mutha here today, and sposed to be worse in both respects tomorrow. Not a great day for a bike race or to be sitting out watching it. Hope you have fun - I'm gonna skip it this year.

-Ray

don'TreadOnMe
06-07-2008, 08:01 PM
See ya there, Girlie.
As big a party as it is a sick race.
The biggest single day on the American calender.

And,,,,you hitched a ride in a van?
That rules.

girlie
06-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Just be glad that the bus didn't get held up OR caught on fire.

Next time use Lucky Star.

YO...the bus was on fire.....the whole thing stunk like burning rubber. I think it burnt for awhile then went out. Poor driver just sat there all shy. The van ride was hilarious.....ended up having a beer with one of the guys who was a linguist. I love my life.

paulandmonster
06-08-2008, 01:16 AM
i have to get to bed have to get up early and meet a great womens team which im lucky enough to have gotten the opportunity to be their team photographer. life is good in philly just think the hotter the day the longer the race im hopping for 110

Bruce K
06-08-2008, 04:09 AM
girlie;

You really are the adventurous sort. Taking Fung Wa is taking your life in your hands.

If you get a chance while you're there, check out Bicycle Revolutions. It is a very cool shop owned by my "Niece-in-law" and her husband. It is a bike shop unlike any you've ever been to. It is part bike shop that caters to the fixed gear/messenger crowd, part art gallery (he's a potter as well and she's a painter), and part coffee bar.

Have a fun weekend and a safe trip home.

BK

A.L.Breguet
06-08-2008, 04:57 AM
I rode in a neutral support car in 84-85. It was hot as all get out. There was a Ford sponsorship that year for Taurus support cars. I think it may have been the 1st year for Taurus. Several of them fried in the heat, including ours. Before we broke down, I did one wheel change. Fun stuff.

rsl
06-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Beware the Fung Wah!

Glad you got out before it went up in flames. One fung wah ride from Boston to NYC was enough for me - that was before I knew about all the problems they have.

Ray
06-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Watched the race on local TV in hi-def - first hi-def cycling coverage I've seen anywhere. Pretty nice. As cool a race as Philly is and as much tradition as there is with Manyunk and Lemon Hill and whatnot, it just frickin' ALWAYS comes down to a field sprint. I remember some breaks staying away in the past, but its been a while. I guess 2-3 years ago Horner and Wherry and someone else (Pate?) stayed clear in a three-man break, but other than that, its been a long time since it wasn't a sprint. It's kind of fun to hang out at the race - hang on the wall for a few laps, then ride down to Lemon Hill and watch the last few laps there. But the race pretty much always disappoints.

-Ray

learlove
06-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Watched the race on local TV in hi-def - first hi-def cycling coverage I've seen anywhere. Pretty nice. As cool a race as Philly is and as much tradition as there is with Manyunk and Lemon Hill and whatnot, it just frickin' ALWAYS comes down to a field sprint. I remember some breaks staying away in the past, but its been a while. I guess 2-3 years ago Horner and Wherry and someone else (Pate?) stayed clear in a three-man break, but other than that, its been a long time since it wasn't a sprint. It's kind of fun to hang out at the race - hang on the wall for a few laps, then ride down to Lemon Hill and watch the last few laps there. But the race pretty much always disappoints.

-Ray

I watched parts of it between tossing the nephews around in the pool. Commentary by Eustice was fine but Jessica - jeez, someone tell her to shut the he11 up. I came close to jumping in my car and driving the 37 miles down to Logan circle and smacking her myself.

girlie
06-09-2008, 12:30 AM
The womens race didn't come down to a sprint:) Pretty impressive move by Chantal Beltman! I loose track of all the new girls but I see some old faces in there too.
It wasn't a boring race by any means......guys and gals were going for it. Yes the mens race came down to a sprint - though not a boring race to watch.......kind of annoying on the wall.....I like the bottom of lemon hill.
My pictures all suck. I get all excited and completely forget to care about pictures.

Bus ride back flawless. Thank god.

-Ray

Ray
06-09-2008, 05:14 AM
The womens race didn't come down to a sprint:) Pretty impressive move by Chantal Beltman! I loose track of all the new girls but I see some old faces in there too.
It wasn't a boring race by any means......guys and gals were going for it. Yes the mens race came down to a sprint - though not a boring race to watch.......kind of annoying on the wall.....I like the bottom of lemon hill.
My pictures all suck. I get all excited and completely forget to care about pictures.

Glad the bus was better the second time.

I missed the women's race this year - they didn't start broadcasting until 1pm this year and I didn't start watching until closer to 2. I think they showed a couple of highlights, but I missed them. The mens race is always fun to watch during most of it, with plenty of moves and counter-moves. But it loses some of the excitement when the odds are so strong that its ultimately going to be a sprint. You keep watching for the one year in ten when someone makes a break stick, but that's about how often it happens. Much as I loved having the US Pro here, I think it made sense to move it to a hillier course. Or leave it here but have the last few mini-laps around Manyunk with the finish at the top of the Wall - that would add some excitement!

-Ray

aLexis
06-10-2008, 12:09 AM

As Chantal Beltman came through the start/finish before the fountain, the announcer just goees wild talking about Mara Abbott about to win Philly. On and on, then Chantal comes across the finish, arms up, and gets to hear, ladies and gentlemen the 2008 Liberty Classic champion, Mara Abbott! She had a look of joy, relief and disbelief on her face.

My own Shontell got to be super-domestique yesterday. You can read more about it here if womens racing is your bag, www.colavitawomen.blogspot.com

I was in the feedzone the whole time, so I didn't get to see much besides the finish, but it was a really hard day of racing and a very active race from lap #1.