PDA

View Full Version : Base Layer - Hincapie vs Craft Super Lweight

BdaGhisallo
10-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Has anyone used either the Hincapie coolmax undershirt or the Craft Super Lightweight base layer? I am looking for a really nice undershirt and have narrowed it down to those two for warmer days.

thanks.

Climb01742
10-03-2004, 02:39 PM
i have the craft. and i love it. i know that its counterintuitive that adding a layer could make you cooler, but that's exactly what the craft stuff does, IMO. i've tried other base layers, and in my experience, the craft superlightweight stuff, and their other weight layers too, are by far the best.

Kevin
10-03-2004, 02:55 PM
A second vote for Craft.

Kevin

Bruce K
10-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Craft for me, too.

For cold/winter riding, their windblock front, long sleeve undershirt is amazing under 40 degrees.

BK

bostondrunk
10-03-2004, 03:50 PM
I prefer 'Armor' wear. Cheaper than the others mentioned, and feels better.

coylifut
10-03-2004, 05:13 PM
I have both the Craft and Armour wear. The Craft seems to wick moisture ever so slightly better. However, the Armour wear can be found on sale at the major sporting good stores and is therefore a better value.

rhg
10-03-2004, 05:23 PM
I'd vote for Capilene... I use it for everything (biking, x-country, hiking) starting about now.

93legendti
10-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Anyone have a link for the Craft stuff please....

Lanny R. Levenson
10-03-2004, 08:08 PM
I've been wearing mid weight capeline since 84 for all kinds of outdoor activities. The stuff holds up! I haven't had to replace the oldest tops but have added additional pieces over the years. A couple of years ago, I bought my wife and myself some R-1 tops. These are too warm for cycling but they have become an integral part of our winter attire.
Lanny

BillyBear
10-03-2004, 09:53 PM
http://www.craft-usa.com/

here you go

Spectrum Bob
10-04-2004, 08:43 AM
I am a big fan of Craft & Capeline. I think nothing beats the Craft base layer and their wind block long sleeve jersey. I intermix them both depending on conditions

I had to buy my wife her own Craft base layer and wind block jersey because she kept stealing mine. I also got her a Craft cycling jersey; it has turned into her favorite hot weather jersey. It has great details and looks beautiful on her.

Ozz
10-04-2004, 12:55 PM
capilene works great...I am sure the others do also.

Laundering tip: drip dry - if you must machine dry, do not use dryer sheets or material will no longer wick moisture.

BdaGhisallo
10-05-2004, 02:52 PM
It looks like we have a clear winner! Just one more question to the Craft exponents. Does the superlight vest fit the same as their regular base layers? Are they as tight as the winter layers for a given size?

Many thanks.

bostondrunk
10-06-2004, 07:03 AM
Craft....
One of the local shops carries it. One of my buddies has bought a jacket, a vest, a base layer, and most recently a pair of knickers.
When he bends his knees, the bottom ofthe knickers open right up, don't hug his leg. The base layer stuff looks very....cottony? Looks like it would get wet with sweat quickly, but I haven't used it. The jacket and vest look very plain, nothing special, and thus not really worth the premium he paid.
Better choices out there in my opinion. :butt:

Climb01742
10-06-2004, 07:16 AM
i've actually used a lot of craft stuff and every item i've used works exactly as it should. it's great stuff. yes, it isn't cheap. and yes, there are undoubtedly alternatives to craft that are good. but craft stuff works. and in my experience, it works better than anything else i've tried.

bostondrunk
10-06-2004, 07:23 AM
I think I was most unimpressed with the knickers. Almost the same price as Assos. I know which most people would choose between those two for the same price. I, however, would choose neither, because I'm poor.... :D
Come on Climb, just admit you are wrong!!!!!! And sell me your SC!!!!

Climb01742
10-06-2004, 07:33 AM
we agree on this...assos stuff, in my experience, has prices that outstrip their performance. craft stuff seems more in balance. but hey, its all between the thigh of the beholder. :rolleyes:

Kane
10-06-2004, 10:58 AM
But, it wicks moisture like no other. I prefer clothes from 'Performance' store. They are always on sale and they have no advertising mark-up. But like all polyester clothes they stink and must be washed it wear them for a half hour or a half day.

Cheers,

Kane