http://www.spotbikes.com/
cheers belts?

Fixed
06-06-2008, 10:41 AM
i have never seen this what do cats think
cheers

flickwet
06-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Lotsa drama last year with the tragic death of their main-man, I suck at names, their framesets are so cool and I think they are beautiful and reasonably priced to boot. They deserve to do well.

BURCH
06-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I sorta get a kick out of the black and tan bikes. Like the guinness style paint scheme.

Anyhow, a belt instead of a chain, huh?...Seems like a gimic to me. I feel like there are a lot more downsides to a belt (flex, quicker wearing), but I guess you wouldn't have to lube it or get grease on your calf anymore.

johnnymossville
06-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Clean, Quiet, Long Wear, and Light. Not many disadvantages with a belt.

BURCH
06-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Forgot about belt driven motorbikes...wonder if the belt on the bicycle is lighter than a chain.

norman neville
06-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Forgot about belt driven motorbikes...wonder if the belt on the bicycle is lighter than a chain.

since you can't break the chain (belt).

maybe a solution in search of a problem.

fiamme red
06-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Cyclists have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.

Cycling Men (and Women) of All Countries, Unite!

chuckred
06-06-2008, 01:05 PM
At a 50 mile race a couple weeks ago - she liked hers a lot. Supposedly eliminates dirt, mud, lubrication issues. Whatever, if I could have kept up with her, I might have learned more.

Probably not perfect for all things (i.e. geared bikes), but seems to be a good idea for single speed, perhaps fixed?

Fixed
06-06-2008, 01:09 PM
bro i bet the belt is slotted to pull in one direction .but i am guessing this is the first one i have ever seen
cheers imho

maunahaole
06-06-2008, 01:41 PM
I like the idea - belt wont rust when the bike get bashed around in the wet and left in the rain. Harley has shown that durability is not an issue with belt drive. The only negative is that you are stuck with a proprietary system for chainrings and cogs. By the looks of it, it is CNC and anodized, meaning expensive.

David Kirk
06-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Clean, Quiet, Long Wear, and Light. Not many disadvantages with a belt.

I don't recall the numbers but I do remember that belts are much less efficient compared to a chain. A clean chain is 98% efficient and belts are much less so due to the surface friction of the belt bedding into the cogs as it rolls.

dave

Ginger
06-06-2008, 02:11 PM
I predict a three year conversion to the belts s the "next new thing" and then a retro revival of the chain.

norman neville
06-06-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't recall the numbers but I do remember that belts are much less efficient compared to a chain. A clean chain is 98% efficient and belts are much less so due to the surface friction of the belt bedding into the cogs as it rolls.

dave

chains are really good, considering it's not exactly a new technology.

with the belt, it's the quick-release frame member thing that makes me wonder. mountain bikes get wailed on sometimes.

WadePatton
06-06-2008, 02:54 PM
What? Yall didn't hear. Belts were on several--well maybe three bikes at NAHBS. The main thing I don't care for--well aside from the fact that chains work real damn good, is that the frame has to have a "cut out" place where the belt can be installed/removed. There's no breaking ala pin.

For a flattish-land, all-weather commuter with an internal gear mechanism--would be a great low-maintenance drive train. mebbe. But I'd buy two or three belts now while they're available... ;)

RPS
06-06-2008, 05:26 PM
i have never seen this what do cats think
cheersThese timing belts have been around for a very long time in industry and work great. They can transmit a lot of torque for their size.

They are also used in many automobile engines in place of timing chains; although chains are coming back due to better wear/durability. Driving cams is a little different in that there is oil and heat involve, so belts may only last about 100,000 car miles. Who knows how many bike miles that is.

RPS
06-06-2008, 05:32 PM
But I'd buy two or three belts now while they're available... ;)I'd bet they use standard belts.

One down side to belts is that they are not as stiff as chains and would feel soft. With all the talk about how stiff cranks need to be, it would be pointless to install a belt that would feel a little like a rubber band (although i doubt most of us would object to feel once we got used to it).

In industry belts are quieter and are easier on equipment because they reduce shock loads compared to chains.

A.L.Breguet
06-06-2008, 06:10 PM
How 'bout suspenders, instead?

Dekonick
06-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't see the advantage. For simplicity, a SS or fixed is as easy as it gets.

As far as flat goes, I believe there are 8 speed internally geared hubs - but that would work with a belt or a chain so again...whats the advantage?

WadePatton
06-06-2008, 08:27 PM
I don't see the advantage. For simplicity, a SS or fixed is as easy as it gets.

As far as flat goes, I believe there are 8 speed internally geared hubs - but that would work with a belt or a chain so again...whats the advantage?
I'm just assuming, but I'd think that the lack of lubrication needed would allow an fully or partially enclosed belt drive to go its full entire life without needing cleaning, lubing, or even looking at. And then when the belt wears out I'd seriously doubt that the cogs would need replacing. So ain't that an advantage in a situation where optimum efficiency is trumped by trouble-free (maintenance-free) miles?

Oh my god. I'm advocating those silly belts. hmph. :bike:

PaulE
06-07-2008, 03:00 PM
For either the CVT version, or wait until an enclosed driveshaft in the chainstay and internal gears in the bottom bracket and rear hub are introduced.

I can just hear the service manager at the LBS now. Your bike owner's manual says the belt needs to be changed every 60,000 miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. Your belt looks like it has a little dry rot. You don't want to risk bending your valve stem against the top tube or other collateral damage if your belt fails during a sprint or a climb, well do you?