PDA

View Full Version : Campy Crank / BB compatibility.

d_douglas
06-06-2008, 04:14 AM
So, I asked about compatibility of a Campy cranks and BBs, got some answers and it seems to not have worked out!

I bought a super cheap Chorus Triple crankset to be used on my Redline cross frame. As per a forumites suggestion and a shop employee's suggestion, I bought a 111mm Centaur BB. I installed it on my Redline and it is clearly too short, even though several websitessay that these cranks require this length of BB - Am I missing something?

I require at least a 115.5mm BB, perhaps more! I thought it might have been an issue of clearance because the rear triangle was designed for fat tires, so I installed it on my Look frame as well and it seems the clearance was even less, so clearly, I have the wrong sized BB! Does anyone have any suggestions? Any at all?

Is this an old triple crankset that requires a weird (and obsolete) BB?

I have no commuter bike at the moment and I am going crazy!!

Thanks for your replies,

Darren

stuckey
06-06-2008, 08:02 AM
There is also a 115.5-mm bottom bracket for a campy triple. They recommend it for frames with oversize seat tubes and wide rear spacing. I would say give that a try it should do the trick.

MilanoTom
06-06-2008, 08:18 AM
The Centaur 111mm BB and the Chorus/Record 111mm triple BB are two different animals. The Centaur is symetrical, and the Record/Chorus models are asymetrical (w/more spindle on the drive side). Whoever suggested using the Centaur BB steered you wrong (hope it wasn't me in one of my stupider moments). The Centaur (and lower) triples took a longer (115.5mm) symetrical (I think) BB. I suppose it would work, but the arms would be out further than necessary and the drive side arm might be out further than the non-drive side arm.

I don't know if the new triple BB is compatible, but if you have a Chorus, you're safe with the Chorus or Record triple BB. I think Token makes one, too, that can be had for cheap on the 'bay.

Regards.
Tom

weiwentg
06-06-2008, 08:18 AM
the Centaur 111mm BB is symmetrical. the Chorus and Record 111mm BBs are asymmetric, with the drive side spindle being longer. that's why your BB was too short.

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp?PART_NUM_SUB='0216-13'

looks like Licktons has the 115.5mm triple BB in Veloce quality only. the page says it's for frames with 35mm seat tubes.

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0212-15'

handsomerob
06-06-2008, 08:27 AM
So, I asked about compatibility of a Campy cranks and BBs, got some answers and it seems to not have worked out!

Assuming you have a Conquest frameset that would mean you have at least a 32mm seat tube which would mean you need a 115mm BB... which appears to be what the formite suggested. :o

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=41807

d_douglas
06-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Looking through the original post, I wonder why I chose the 111mm - I think it was because the mechanic said it was the better choice.

A lesson is leaned - only trust 'virtual experts' - not real, live people! Jes kidding!!!

Oh well, i will try to return the 111BB and exchange for the 15.5mm BB. Asymmetrical, hey? I didn't bother to install the left side arm, but I assume that it will be fine, either way.

dschlichting
06-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Well, I still have this NIB 115mm Campy taper Phil Wood BB if anyone wants it.