PDA

View Full Version : DT SuperComp spokes

merckx
06-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Are these a good compromise between the Aerolights/Revolutions and the Competitions regarding stiffness and strength? I'm interested is a spoke that is stiffer than the super lightweights ones, but also have a butting profile that works well when tensioned. I never hear folks talk about the Super Comps. Are they rubbish?

Thanks,
Bill

gdw
06-05-2008, 06:43 PM
There's nothing wrong with them but you might have problems finding them in the correct lengths for road wheels. Try Wheelsmith's 14 gauge butted spokes, 2.0/ 1.7/ 2.0mm, if you want a strong spoke which weighs less than DT's 14 gauge Competition, 2.0/1.8/2.0, but more than Revolutions.

musgravecycles
06-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Actually they are available in road lengths. I was put onto the SuperComps by one of America's best (atmo) road wheel builders--Joe Young, these are his favorite spoke.

In general I'm not a big fan of alloy nipples, but this is the spoke to use them on, you end up with a stronger and lighter wheel than a traditional 2.0/1.8db spoke. You have the strength of a 2.0 at the hub, with a nice light center and a 1.8 top which yields a thicker/stronger wall on the nipple. If you can stomach that they are only available in black you won't be disappointed. Pm Too Tall about his wheelset with these spokes...

itspeedmoore
06-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Joe Young seems to like them a lot. In fact, he is building me up a set of wheel right now with them. The last set of wheels he built (w/ DT Comp spokes) have been unbelievably good so if he likes super comps, then so do I!

mflaherty37
06-06-2008, 11:55 AM
The 1.8 at the nipple increased the material of the nipple so that is the idea there. Prolly a good thingy

Marcus Torino
06-06-2008, 06:52 PM
SuperComps also have less potential for spoke windup during building, as the 1.8/1.7mm transition is stiffer in torsion than a 2.0/1.7mm spoke is.