PDA

View Full Version : Much Love for Jure

paczki
06-05-2008, 05:29 PM
I clipped this from the other thread, but it deserves to be discussed in its own right. Just boggles my mind:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/s...gewanted=3&_r=1

I've never heard of anyone going so deep into madness for sport. The attitude of his team was both funny and sort of moving -- to be pushing someone in and through that kind of mental state for so extraordinarily long.

Lifelover
06-05-2008, 06:59 PM
It's really scary! I believe our brain does the things it does do try and help us.

Ignoring it's signals to this extent can't be good for you.

However, if put to drift at sea in a row boat with only one paddle and one other person, I'll take him.

stuckey
06-05-2008, 07:13 PM
I just read a article in the new Ultra Cycling about Jure. There was also a little on him in the solo RAAM section also. They wrote that they think he may break the RAAM speed record this year. I would be surprised if he does not and even more surprised if he did not crush the competition and win again.
I like the guys style, ride like you are possessed and at war. That is the only way to ride.

sloji
06-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Coming from the recumbent world we have one rider who has earned the respect of many bentriders and that's John Schlitter on a Bacchetta Aero. IT's a dual 650 or 700 bike with no fairing that he has set many ultra records around the country. He's doing solo RAAM this year and he's 52 years old (or thereabouts). The two and four man recumbent teams have done well in the past few years including very hilly courses (Race Across Oregon, etc.) and in RAAM.

Uprights are more biomechanically efficient but bents are more aerodynamically efficient and when comfort over very long distances come into play it becomes a fun comparison.

In the end it's all guts and both bikes have to stay upright...not easy to do in RAAM.

Should be another great year to watch the riders progress.