PDA

View Full Version : Summit County Rentals?

djg
06-05-2008, 11:10 AM
We're heading out to Keystone in late June. I'm thinking of shipping a road bike, but am also wondering about the possibility of a rental while I'm out there. Does anybody know of a place that rents decent road bikes in the area? (Keystone-Dillon-Breckenridge, etc.)

mschol17
06-05-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm headed to the same area in July, and the only places I've found is a place in Golden that rents Felts for $250 a week, and another place that rents Giant OCR1s for $90 a week.

chuckred
06-05-2008, 01:33 PM
$300 for a week to demo their bikes - includes shipping both ways - and goes towards purchase.

Not sure about Summit County - you might pick something up in Denver on your way up. Wheatridge Cycling comes to mind as a place to check.

Also, in Evergreen, Bicycle Outfitters has helped me score demos for friends - but more for mountain bikes, but they probably could set you up with road as well. Just not sure if it's work for a week. (It's only a couple of miles off the Interstate).

Personally, while there is great road riding in that area, the mountain biking is spectacular - you might think about that as well!

Bruce K
06-05-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure but maybe Wheatridge Cyclery (Ron Kiefel's place) outside of Denver.

BK

gdw
06-05-2008, 02:04 PM
It's more hassle but most shops don't rent quality road bikes or have limited sizes available if they do.

mschol17
06-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Wheatridge rents Fiertes and Madones for $100/day. Yikes!

Has anyone ever used the Competitive Cyclist demo program and had the bike shipped somewhere other than your home address?

scrooge
06-05-2008, 02:49 PM
What size do you need? I could probably find someone to rent you a bike for less than they're charging... :rolleyes:

mschol17
06-05-2008, 02:50 PM
57-58 tt

:beer:

taylorj
06-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Wheatridge rents Fiertes and Madones for $100/day. Yikes!

Has anyone ever used the Competitive Cyclist demo program and had the bike shipped somewhere other than your home address?

I haven't personally done this but have many friends who have used competitive demo program with happy feedback. Even though they were not in the market to buy the bike, they enjoyed riding a high-end bike and said it was worth the dough.

Chief
06-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Check out this site in Frisco

http://www.highroadandtrailsports.com/home/summerRentalPrices.php

Satellite
06-05-2008, 04:04 PM
It's more hassle but most shops don't rent quality road bikes or have limited sizes available if they do.

+1; I was very happy to have my own bike it took forever to get my own bike setup properly forget a rental.

I shipped my bike directly to the Hotel I was staying at worked out very well.

Satellite

chuckred
06-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Road Biking Colorado (http://www.amazon.com/Road-Biking-Colorado-Statewide-Guide/dp/1565794338)

Consider this Guide book

If you're planning to spend several days on the bike, I seriously think you should buy this book! It's excellent. Will give you the details on the Copper Triangle, Loveland Pass, Independence Pass and other great rides in the area.

Also, send a PM if you want any other suggestions...

jmc22
06-05-2008, 06:09 PM
I have a second home in Summit County (Silverthorne) and spend many weekends up there. I do not know of anyone up there or in the Vail area that I would know of that rents "High-end" Road bikes as it's really not the place were experienced cyclists gravitate to to ride road bikes. I would say that Mountain bikes or hybrid type bikes to ride say around Lake Dillon (which mind you does have a 500ft climb to it) on the other hard, is more of what you would tend to find, but road bikes, no. In my opinion I would vest the money, buy a nice traveling case, pack the bike and bring it on the plane. The other option would be to buy the case, pack the bike and ship it UPS or FEDEX to the hotel or make arrangements to send it to a bike store and pick it up there. If you are interested in places to ride up there, PM me and we can chat. Enjoy your trip. :beer:

djg
06-29-2008, 02:14 PM
What size do you need? I could probably find someone to rent you a bike for less than they're charging... :rolleyes:

54-ish. Just got here. Found a place in Frisco that has a few things.

djg
06-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Check out this site in Frisco

http://www.highroadandtrailsports.com/home/summerRentalPrices.php

If anybody's interested, this place that Chief found on the internet does indeed have some things. It's a pretty basic place, and I wouldn't look for anything high end or much in the way of expertise, but they're nice folks and they were able to rent me a bianchi road bike (Imola) in about the right size -- brought my own shoes and pedals and it's fine (and did not cost 100 bucks per day).