PDA

View Full Version : Chains

kgreene10
06-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Despite my best efforts, my Dura-Ace chain wore out pretty quickly. My awesome mechanic suggested replacing it with a KMC which is cheaper, lighter, and he says that it lasts longer.

I'm curious about your experiences and also about sizing. He recommended using the 5.88mm for DA 10 even though the e-shops seem to recommend the 6.1mm. I completely trust him, but I'm just curious about the discrepancy in recommendations.

Charles M
06-04-2008, 02:04 PM
It probably won't last longer, but they're fairly durable. They also look cool in the SL form.

Also, have your super duper mechanic order a Yaban chain (promologic is the distributor)...

They make the KMC chain but forget to charge you as much.

Bill Bove
06-04-2008, 05:43 PM
The KMC SL (gold) chains do look cool and I have gotten good feedback from customers about their performance, longevity? Eh, marginal.

Mud
06-04-2008, 06:20 PM
and I am a Wuss. I never got more than 1500 miles out of a DA chain. Must be some hidden power or I need deodorant when I ride.

brians647
06-04-2008, 06:50 PM
and I am a Wuss. I never got more than 1500 miles out of a DA chain. Must be some hidden power or I need deodorant when I ride.

Probably both. :D

Kidding. But I think that conditions and care play a part in it all too. Regardless, they don't last that long.

Ahneida Ride
06-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I got 2000 - 2500 out of the OLD Campy Record Chains ....

Not sure about the new Chorus Version .... We'll see ...

My LBS guru installed a non Campy chain ( not sure which one)
on his bike and after 2K it looked like a rubber band .

After 2K+ the ole Record chain at least looked presentable.

dave thompson
06-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Further evidence why we 'need' 11-speeds. Barring some unforeseen breakthrough in metallurgy, chain life will probably be about 76 miles.

Birddog
06-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Nashbar's house brand is a KMC product and it's currently $24.99. I bought the same thing from Performance awhile back and it's working fine.

Birddog

zap
06-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Get a campy chain.

Chain lasts 4k miles on my single, I'm on my 3rd chain, and has held together for over 1K miles on our tandem.

Ken C
06-05-2008, 09:51 AM
A second vote for the KMC chain. They work very well and they are quiet.

Dave
06-05-2008, 04:18 PM
There is no 6.1mm Shimano chain anymore. Hasn't been for a couple of years.

I've only got 1250 miles on a KMC DX10SC that cost me $21. I checked it today with my full length measuring tool and the results are promising. The elongation is very low - not as low as a Campy chain, but way less than a Shimano chain.

The problem with relying on local shops and their mechanics is you have no idea whether the chain was really worn out. Most use a Park chain checker that is worthless. If a scale was used and the chain elongated to by .5%, then yes it was worn out. It would take close to 4,000 miles for me to get that much elongation from a Shimano chain.

dannyg1
06-05-2008, 04:30 PM
It probably won't last longer, but they're fairly durable. They also look cool in the SL form.

Also, have your super duper mechanic order a Yaban chain (promologic is the distributor)...

They make the KMC chain but forget to charge you as much.

Thanks for the above info. This kind of insider stuff is great to know.

Danny