PDA

View Full Version : 105 group

animl57
06-03-2008, 09:51 PM
anybody have input on newer shimano 105 stuff? i've always considered it to be the "workin' man's" group. and since i'm not too concerned with weight, the higher-end components aren't very attractive to me.

a custom f&f is being built for me by a local guy named greg milholland & i'm having a hard time deciding on it's componentry. it's gonna' be an "all-arounder" so the sky's the limit!

maunahaole
06-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Shimano stuff works great, even into the lower end groups. You wont go wrong with a 105 group. That being said, you wont go wrong with Campy Veloce or Centaur, either. The mid range campy stuff looks better (according to me) and is priced competitively. Look for gruppos from probikekit or the like.

dannyg1
06-03-2008, 10:03 PM
I've got a thing for the 105 crank and have built a number of 105 10sp bikes now. Price to performance, nothing can touch current 105.

Next best value: SRAM Rival can be had for only a couple of hundred more and Centaur will cost you double (piece by NOS piece via Ebay),

Performance-wise, the 105 is almost identical to DA: Smooth as silk, noisefree and it actually lasts (it's built to take more of a beating than the higher end stuff. Fewer warranty returns for the bike companies that spec it new).

IMO, an obvious, good choice. Great looking too:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/hpsworkshop/FullDriveatMosdesaturatedIMG_9824.jpg

Danny

scrooge
06-03-2008, 10:13 PM
105 is that Toyota Camry of the component world...and that's a good thing.

MRB
06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
The lower end Shimano stuff is really amazing. Shimano wants your initial experience with their products to be positive, and gain loyalty to their brand.
Like someone posted recently, the 105 crank looks great compared to the DA.
I have 105 bits on some of my bikes, and I can't really tell the difference between 105, Ult. and DA, really. just my two cents.

Enigma
06-03-2008, 10:20 PM
If you must get Shimano, get 105. Or DA. Do not bother with Ultegra.

Louis
06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
The mid range campy stuff looks better (according to me) and is priced competitively.

My experience has been different: I remember comparing Daytona and 105 rear-dérailleurs a while back, and there was no contest, the 105 was lighter and the finish was way better.

Louis

flickwet
06-03-2008, 11:04 PM
is incredible. 5 years of the most intense abuse ,because I'm notso graceful, brifters crammed with mud more than once, 3 times over the bars, stayed clipped in too. All my shimano is reliable as can be. That being said, I've never had a problem with Campy either. I really like the "black 105, I put those on my son's RB-1 and I really wanted them for myself, that is real love

palincss
06-04-2008, 07:22 AM
anybody have input on newer shimano 105 stuff? i've always considered it to be the "workin' man's" group. and since i'm not too concerned with weight, the higher-end components aren't very attractive to me.

a custom f&f is being built for me by a local guy named greg milholland & i'm having a hard time deciding on it's componentry. it's gonna' be an "all-arounder" so the sky's the limit!

The "all-arounders" I'm familiar with from Riv/BOBland typically have 110/74 triples, MTB cassettes and MTB derailleurs and bar end shifters, although my experience is a 105 triple FD can work very well on a 24/36/48 crank. Hubs are usually 135mm in back, typically Deore or Deore XT. Brakes are usually cantilevers. Not much room for 105 in that mix, except for the front derailleur.

What's your concept of an "all-arounder" like?

rsl
06-04-2008, 08:05 AM
My experience has been the same as all the above.

I put a full 105 group on my Zanc that was built about two years ago. Not a problem since. I can't compare it to Ultegra, Dura-Ace, or Campy but it seems light, shifts well, and has been very durable in terms of function and finish.

deechee
06-04-2008, 08:44 AM
built up a bike for my gf with the new 105 10sp and its great. She prefers the hand positions compared to 9sp. I also find it crisper than my 9sp ultegra.

That said, my 9 sp 105 brifters became a bit sticky after 4-5 years of abuse so I'm not entirely sure about longevity. Debating what to get for a frame I picked up recently... 105 or ultegra SL. I doubt I have the patience for the next gen ultegra/105.

Homebrew
06-04-2008, 08:48 AM
I've got at least 6k miles on my 10 speed 105 group and it's been great. My only issues were with the double shift on the front derailleur to get it to move one gear and the rear derailleur pulleys were spewing brass after 1000 miles. The ace mechanic at the local shop was able to tune up the trim and so forth on the front derailleur and it shifts beautifully now. I also replaced the derailleur pulleys with Ultegra and Dura Ace to get the sealed bearings (scored on eBay for less than $15 for the pair). I replaced the chain with Ultegra at about 4500 miles and it wasn't really that worn. Overall, I'm sure Dura Ace is nicer but at triple the price it's not worth it for me. I put my money into nicer wheels (DT 1450s).

I don't know where you would buy a 105 group though. Most place only carry Ultegra and up. PBK has the purrrty Ultegra SL for less than $650 with coupon right now. Very tempting.

Good luck with the build.

animl57
06-04-2008, 02:59 PM
i appreciate all the feedback, guys! cheers!