PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you fixie builders...

maximus
06-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Thinking about turning my Concorde (mid 80s made by CIOCC) into a fixie. I have a great set of Dura Ace 7400 hubs - the rear one does not have a freewheel - rather threading for a 6 speed freewheel that screws on.

My question is - can I easily turn this into a fixed hub? It does not have alternate threading for the lockring. Is there some sort of adapter?

All advice appreciated!

rustychisel
06-03-2008, 10:02 PM
You can fix it easily. Depending on the build you may need to undish the rear wheel and respace the rear axle, neither is difficult and if you have the LBS do it, not expensive.
This is known as a 'suicide hub' and if you google the term you'll find plenty of info. Providing its built properly and you're not idiotic (ie loosely defined as a skidding hipster who will not use a brake) they work fine.

cody.wms
06-03-2008, 10:07 PM
you can put blue loctite on it and stomp on it (to tighten it) then let it sit overnight. Itll work, but if your building a wheel from scratch you can get a formula hub for cheap. I dont think its a problem to respace them to 126 or 130.

I ran a loctited hub for a while and it didnt pose a problem, but i never skidded on it either.

40x14
06-03-2008, 10:21 PM
I've heard/read that one can also thread on a bottom bracket lockring after installing and tightened the cog. It's still not foolproof but it's pretty safe, especially if you're keeping the road brakes or at least the a front brake.

If you decide to get a track hub that's spaced for 120, it's much easier to put an extra 3mm of spacers on each side of the hub instead of respacing the rear triangle. I often throw a fixed wheel on my commuter for simplicity sake, and have to add the 3+3mm of spacers in order to get it to fit just right.

ps. Do you know more about concordes? I recently got a nice 80's concorde roadie because it was pretty and know almost nothing about it other than what's marked. Reynolds 531c (french), chrome fork and stays.

markie
06-03-2008, 10:58 PM
It is called a suicide hub for a reason...

I use a simmilar set up and skid stop without any issues. I do have a front-brake.

I use blue loctite on the cog. Get it on real tight using a chain-whip. Then I use a bottom bracket lockring with blue loctite and get it on super tight.

I have a few 1000 miles on my setup without problems. YMMV. Never rely on this set-up for braking though. Always retain a proper brake in-case.

rustychisel
06-04-2008, 12:11 AM
it's called a suicide hub because that's a snappy expression, nothing more.

You DON'T need loctite, you DO need at least one caliper brake. Suicide is riding any bicycle on the roads without a mechanical brake.

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17363

maximus
06-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Thanks for all the responses! This is exactly the info I needed and will dig deeper. The term suicide is fitting for my morning commute through downtown DC without a break...

ps. Do you know more about concordes? I recently got a nice 80's concorde roadie because it was pretty and know almost nothing about it other than what's marked. Reynolds 531c (french), chrome fork and stays.I dont know much - but I do know is the frames were built (at least for a time - if not all) by CIOCC in Italy but branded/pantographed Concorde. My bottom bracket has CIOCC's tell-tale "club" (clover) punched out - really the only indication other than the geometry. Interesting that you have any Reynolds tubing on your bike. Mine is Columbus SL as are all the others ive seen. If it is only the fork then it is probably a replacement - but you said stays also. From what I understand, Concorde racing team (Team PDM) was pretty successful until a steroid scandal surfaced. So yea - in all likelihood you are really riding a CIOCC.

Fixed
06-04-2008, 07:58 AM
bro a lot of cats do it but imho if you are going to ride it everyday i would get something I would not have to worrry about imho
cheers :beer:

DRZRM
06-04-2008, 08:06 AM
If you are committed to using your brakes to stop and generally avoiding back peddling, I suppose it's doable, but they are called suicide builds for a reason. Of all the places to save money this seems like a very bad one. The folks who talk about riding this setup without a problem probably represent the overwhelming majority, but I've never needed a helmet on the road either, I still wear one. Get a cheap formula hub or something comparable and build it up for your bike.

Just my $.02.

PS If I were considering this type build, I'd visit a welder and call it a day. But I'd buy a proper rear wheel first.

jvp
06-04-2008, 08:15 AM
somewhat OT but yesterday at the coffee shop this hipster kid rolls up on his tricked out track bike. I notice he is coasting, and think he should man up and go fixed on a bike like that. Then I look at the bike - no front brake...no rear brake. :eek: He takes off, but uphill, so I have no idea how he dealt w/ braking. And there are some steep hills around here. Foot on tire?

Oirad
06-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Spring for the Eno Eccentric (flip-flop) hub and build yourself a bombproof wheel and enjoy. It may be the best investment you'll ever make, outside of getting into cycling.

Oirad

fiamme red
06-04-2008, 09:55 AM
somewhat OT but yesterday at the coffee shop this hipster kid rolls up on his tricked out track bike. I notice he is coasting, and think he should man up and go fixed on a bike like that. Then I look at the bike - no front brake...no rear brake. :eek: He takes off, but uphill, so I have no idea how he dealt w/ braking. And there are some steep hills around here. Foot on tire?Hub brake?

jvp
06-04-2008, 10:05 AM
maybe...but given his hipster flair, tricked track bike, and the way he jumped 3 stairs when he rode off, I don't think so.

markie
06-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Spring for the Eno Eccentric (flip-flop) hub and build yourself a bombproof wheel and enjoy. It may be the best investment you'll ever make, outside of getting into cycling.

Oirad

I presume that the old frame has horizontal dropouts? In which case the eccentric would be redundant. :confused:

maximus
06-04-2008, 10:52 AM
bro a lot of cats do it but imho if you are going to ride it everyday i would get something I would not have to worrry about imho
cheers :beer:

Advice taken. May just hold off until I get a proper track frame anyway. The Concorde build was a lot of fun but may see its way to the classified forum in due time.