PDA

View Full Version : Help! Leg Cramps!!!

geezohwiz
10-02-2004, 11:30 AM
I looking for some advice from the forum on eliminating leg cramps. I have a relapse of a temporary medical condition which may be contributing to them, but nonetheless I'd like to try to get rid of them in the meantime.

Up until about mid-summer this year, I could ride without any problems, even in the mid-summer heat. Lately, after about 1 1/2 hours in the saddle, my upper/inner thighs begin to knot up. I've tried all the usual tricks (hydration, potassium/supplements, energy drinks/gels, stretching, etc.) but have not had any luck. Two issues may be contributing to the problem: a diuretic that depletes some of the minerals that cause cramping, and protein spilling from a kidney "malfunction" which is currently being treated with a short course of steroids. Both should be eliminated by the end of October. I am eating/ingesting more potassium and trying to stay properly hydrated. The LBC mentioned magnesium as a possible solution. I wondered if anyone had any other ideas, e.g., could it be fit/position related or something else?

Thanks for yor help.

Dekonick
10-02-2004, 11:35 AM
be careful: You only get 2 kidneys... and dialysis sucks.

I wouldnt make your kidneys work any harder han they need to - tell your doctor what you are doing and make sure its ok. There are potassium sparing diuretics - which one are taking? Lasix? HCTZ?

ever consider just cycling for shorter periods of time?

bags27
10-02-2004, 01:05 PM
I'm very much prone to cramping. Of course, the first line of defense is hydration. After that, it seems to be electrolyte replacement. Here are the two best things I've ever used. V-8 juice is awesome. Also, Endurolytes:
http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=PRODUCT&CAT=ELECT&PROD.ID=4037&OMI=&AMI=17
they really, really work (at least for me)

Bruce H.
10-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Do what I did. Go away for 6 weeks and do not ride as much. Just a joke. Hope all is well. I need a riding buddy when I return.
Perhaps wait till Oct to ride hard as Dekonik suggested.
I may be around the weekend of 10/22 if you are up to a ride.
Bruce H

gasman
10-02-2004, 11:11 PM
or relative lack thereof may be the problem. Try a couple of tums just before or during the ride. It won't hurt.

va rider
10-03-2004, 08:54 PM
I know you won't believe me. But, after riding a few centuries in Orlando, Florida, I had to deal with some serious cramping on long rides. The solution: tonic water or pickle juice before the ride.

Don't laugh, well, okay laugh, but it works....

spiderman
10-03-2004, 09:47 PM
you should definitely have
your sodium, potassium, bloon urea nitrogen (bun)
and creatinine checked.
i second the motion on the magnesium...500 mg/d.
the pickle juice is a great idea...
...milwaukee brand is the best!

Too Tall
10-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Ditto regards Mg. That is the only thing I see missing. Also, when athletes have stubborn cramping problems a really cute trick I've developed is to add a full spectrum of trace elements via normal diet....WHAT A NOTION! Here is a way to do it: Go to the best gourmet market around and buy a tin of natural sea salts and use it liberally. I add that to my eve. popcorn snack. Favorite brand right now is Maldon (British). The human body is a wonderous thing and it should not be a surprise that trying to manage something as delicate as this can readily be done with diet rather than big slugs of supplements.

I am a faithful user of E-Caps "Endurolytes.

geezohwiz
10-04-2004, 12:22 PM
...for all the good suggestions. I'll try to tweak my diet (first) and supplement intake (second) as you all suggested and see what results I get.

I'm currently taking Lasix (notorious for causing cramping). Blood work is done every 6 months or so, more recently with my current relapse. I had been taking calcium supplements regularly, but discontinued them. I'll adjust my diet to include more calcium. (Anyone have any opinions on the "24 ounces of milk in 24 hours" campaign?) Also, I'll surely try the electrolyte replacements and increased magnesium consumption, since they seem to be common suggestions.

On the pickle juice...the local pro football team made big headlines a few years back when they opened the season in hot, humid weather and the trainer had them drink pickle juice before and during the game! Maybe I'll save that one for last! :p