PDA

View Full Version : Cleat/Pedal with less float??

jimp1234
06-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I currently have some older Look pedals and I'm using the red "Delta" cleat which I understand has 9 degrees of "float", but a few things I've read lately has got me thinking that this large amount of float might not be good for my ailing knees. I don't want to go to zero degrees (which I understand in my only option with my current pedals), so first off is there a 3rd party "Delta-style" cleat with around 5 degrees of float that will work with my current pedals? If not I guess I'm looking at Look Keo (gray cleat is I think 4-5 degrees) or Shimano 7810 which has around 6 degrees. Or something else??? Any thoughts and/or ideas would be appreciated.

-Jim

Kervin
06-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I do recall to look pedals that you could dial in the float. The first one was a Mavic model, the other was from look and had a dial on the back. You could just get the "fixed" cleat and grind off the side until you have the float you are looking for.

Ti Designs
06-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I do recall to look pedals that you could dial in the float. The first one was a Mavic model, the other was from look and had a dial on the back. You could just get the "fixed" cleat and grind off the side until you have the float you are looking for.

The float isn't generated or controlled by the sides, grinding off that part will give you a cleat failure. The float is done by moving the release ramps on the under side of the back of the cleat outward. As for those pedals, the latest version of the Delta pedal was the Look 5.1 which had options for 0, 3, 6 or 9 degrees of float. It's probably less expensive to get the Keo's with the grey cleat.

rwsaunders
06-03-2008, 05:00 PM
If I recall correctly, Crank Brothers Quattros allow for float adjustment.

taylorj
06-03-2008, 05:55 PM
It is funny how even pedal companies mis-use (or have the re-invented the term) "float".

Rotation is a feature offered by just about any pedal made (allowing a rotation or not while clipped into the pedal).

Float is something that Time offers in it's pedals. There really isn't a degree of float---you either got it or you don't. But this is a side to side action of floating within the pedal mechanism.

Somehow the two terms are now inter-changable--but they are two different sensations and Time is the manufacturer which first offered float...which is VERY different than rotation.

When I hear the description of what folks are talking about---it is rotation---not float that they seem to be after.

And unless something has changed---Time is the only pedal that has "float"

OnceFast
06-03-2008, 06:53 PM
The least expensive thing would be to get some Look black cleats. Be careful that your cleats are adjusted perfectly because the black cleat allows little or no rotation. Very efficient once you are "dialed in".

happycampyer
06-04-2008, 04:10 AM
It is funny how even pedal companies mis-use (or have the re-invented the term) "float".

Rotation is a feature offered by just about any pedal made (allowing a rotation or not while clipped into the pedal).

Float is something that Time offers in it's pedals. There really isn't a degree of float---you either got it or you don't. But this is a side to side action of floating within the pedal mechanism.

Somehow the two terms are now inter-changable--but they are two different sensations and Time is the manufacturer which first offered float...which is VERY different than rotation.

When I hear the description of what folks are talking about---it is rotation---not float that they seem to be after.

And unless something has changed---Time is the only pedal that has "float"

I've tried a number of different pedals, and I think taylorj's point is an important one... for some. Most pedals allow you to float in an arc (rotational float), but the Times are the only ones I've tried that have true side-to-side (lateral) float. If you are really finicky, the Times give you lots of adjustability, as this description summarizes:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-pedals/2008-time-rxs-ulteam-ti-carbon-pedals-1493_228_FALSE.html

Of the pedals I've tried, I like both the Look and the Time the best. One thing that I personally prefer about the Looks is that I have an easier time clipping into them, but that's just down to my lack of coordination. :)

One thing that I noticed when I switched from the red to grey cleats on the Looks is that I had to be much more careful about aligning them so that I had as much rotational float to the inside as the outside.

Dave
06-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Consider Speedplay Zeros. They have fully adjustable float from zero on up and dual side entry. All you do is step down on the pedal. No slipping the front of the cleat into the pedal. A whole lot simpler, IMO.

deechee
06-04-2008, 09:23 AM
a long time ago I found out my knees also didn't like excessive rotational movement. The 0 degree black look cleats worked for me, as do the red fixed cleats for shimano spd-sl on the older design pedals (1st generation).

The new spd-sls with the larger platform have absolutely no wiggle room and are too stiff with fixed cleats. So I'm sticking with the old pedals...

BdaGhisallo
06-04-2008, 10:03 AM
shimano spd-sl have some "float" with the yellow cleat in addition to the six degrees of rotational movement. Or you could do what I do which is loosen off the cleat tension screw on the spd-sl pedals and use the red "fixed" cleats. You will get a tiny amount of rotational movement that way but no lateral float.

happycampyer
06-04-2008, 08:18 PM
jimp1234,

Thinking some more about your OP, given your "ailing knees" as you refer to them, if you haven't done so already, you might want to consider addressing other fit-related factors that might help you avoid knee strain (saddle height/fore/aft, cleat position fore/aft, Q-factor, varus/valgus canting, etc.). There's a lot of info in print and on the internet and you could post on the Fit section of the Forum for advice, but a professional fitting by someone who knows what they're doing is the best way to go.

Regarding float, there are different views whether float is good or bad for the knees and, if it's good, how much is too much, etc. There was a SICI symposium earlier this year that apparently got pretty contentious over the topic. A brief description I could find is here:

http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/sici_blog.htm

See the entries re Hull and Pruitt.

jmc22
06-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Speedplay makes the Zero model in which you can fully adjust the float of the pedal:
http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.zero