PDA

View Full Version : Chamois Cream/lube or not?

WadePatton
06-03-2008, 02:25 PM
I'll admit, not yet one of my must haves.

whoops typo in option #4. should read "response". Anyone with access feel free to correct.

dauwhe
06-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Yes, if a ride is longer than 100k or so. I don't bother otherwise. But it's important as you go past 200k. On brevets, I'll re-apply a tiny bit at every control.

Dave

gone
06-03-2008, 02:30 PM
I never use it in my normal riding routine of 200-250 miles per week. However, when I do multiple back-to-back long days (100+ miles) I use it preemptively from day one.

I've found that a combination of bag balm applied directly to my butt with chamois buttr applied to my shorts works well. The balm sticks pretty well and stays where I put it, the chamois buttr lubricates. Both disinfect.

regularguy412
06-03-2008, 02:42 PM
On newer, foam-type chamois, I'll not use balm of any kind. If I happen to get some chafing, I'll treat the area after. On older style, thin chamois, I'll use Neosporin on my sit bones and Udder Cream on the chamois, prior to riding. This method has worked for me for a long time. I've had very few saddle sore issues.

I think a lot of avoiding saddle sores is to have a really good bike fit. It's also how one actually 'sits' on the bike.

Mike in AR:beer:

Lifelover
06-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Don't think I have used anything for about 2 years and can't say I noticed any change.

However, I only ride 75+ miles about a dozen times a year. If I were to think about it, I may consider applying something for long, hot rides.

dekindy
06-03-2008, 04:05 PM
I did not know what I was missing until I started using Bag Balm and Chamois Butr.

Erik.Lazdins
06-03-2008, 04:44 PM
On longer rides and in the summer most of the time.

Thats for Giordana bibs with a foam type chamois

With Assos regardless of the chamois - always - the thicker pad requires it for me.

I use Assos chamois cream.

WadePatton
06-04-2008, 10:51 AM
I posted this poll because every discussion of butt grease seemed to indicate a 99% compliance among this group. So far looks like 1/3 are addicted and most are on a as-needed basis.

I'm getting into longer rides, and that can change things. Suppose I'll ride and see.

Wonder how gender and saddle selection play into the "no-a-use" group?

93legendti
06-04-2008, 02:34 PM
I developed something while in Israel... we were on the road and I forgot to bring clothes to change into after my ride. So the next couple of rides were a little uncomfortable. I treated it with my son's Burt's Bee's Diaper Ointment during rides and some neosporin at night and I've had no issues. Back home, I use the Burt's Bee's if I am riding on a hot day.

gt6267a
06-04-2008, 02:48 PM
depends on shorts in use ...
etxe ondo bibs : assos creme : always
plasticish pearl / louis g bibs : never. creme feels strange with the plastic.

the etxe ondo setup is my fav by far.

Volant
06-04-2008, 02:52 PM
No where in the poll does it reference 'for cycling'. :no:

TAW
06-04-2008, 05:04 PM
I put "sometimes" because there are some short rides that I have to fit in where I don't have time to mess with it or the ride is too short. Generally everything over 2 hours I use it, and I do notice a difference. For me it's kind of expensive to use on every ride, although I would if I could.

mflaherty37
06-04-2008, 07:43 PM
i'm with dr doof. i use assos, but not on my butt.

Birddog
06-04-2008, 08:47 PM
On rides of 50 miles or more, I slap on the Assos. I have some Descente bibs that have a pad that's better than the old style and I forgot to lather up a couple times with no resulting problems. Now that it's hotter though, I hope I remember. Assos is the bomb. BTW, I put it on me, not on the pad.

Birddog

WadePatton
06-04-2008, 10:04 PM
No where in the poll does it reference 'for cycling'. :no:
Does it change your vote if it IS for cycling? :D

sw3759
06-05-2008, 06:27 AM
always use something.bag balm,udderly smooth,noxema works for daily rides on the cheap.bag balm is kinda tough to remove and is good for rainy days.
4hr plus rides i use the better quality stuff like assos or chamois butter

Volant
06-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Does it change your vote if it IS for cycling? :D

Actually, Yes.

cs124
06-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Quoleum Antifriction O.

Don't leave home without it.

Michael Maddox
06-05-2008, 09:04 AM
The best:

Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Cream.

Yep, that stuff in the $4.50 tub at Walmart and other fine retailers. It keeps some from getting "ashy" and keeps me from getting "assy."

Smells nice, too.

Got this from a bunch of guys over at Bikeforums some years back, and found that it works as well or better than Assos and other specialty products. Lumped with the cost-per-ounce, and there's no real contest.

Again, Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Cream.

musgravecycles
06-05-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't even ride 20 miles without Too Talls Kitty Cream...

fiamme red
06-05-2008, 03:25 PM
I don't even ride 20 miles without Too Talls Kitty Cream...Is it available at Walmart? ;)

Ray
06-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Any ride long enough to justify cycling shorts or bibs gets something down there. Sometimes chamois butter, sometimes bag balm depending on the length of the ride and the pre-ride condition of the affected area. The only time I skip it are for shorter errand rides around town on a Brooks-equipped bike. That's a lot of my riding these days, but the rule still holds.

-Ray