PDA

View Full Version : Leaving for RAAM

znfdl
06-03-2008, 11:25 AM
My longs hours of training and my anti-social tendecies are about to come to an end.

Here is a letter that I sent to friends and family.

Dear Friends and Family:
Please excuse me for being incommunicado over the last 6 or 7 months, as I have been training for Team RAAM. Racing in RAAM has been one of my life’s goals. It is about to come to fruition as the Team RAAM division starts on June 11, 2008 at Noon PST.

My team has given me the honor of riding the first leg of the 3,000 mile journey. This is an incredible honor, as the racers ride in a 13 mile parade to the official start of the race. Our goal is for the four riders and our crew to cross the country in 7 days / average 432 miles per day.

If you would like to track our team, you can go to the www.raceacrossamerica.org website and under race tracking look for Team Ride4melanoma.

If you would like to support our cause, you can still contribute by going to our website www.ride4melanoma.com

Thanks all, I plan on doing a better job of keeping in touch after the race.

Keep the rubber on the road.

Stuart

sn69
06-03-2008, 11:28 AM
I've done Team RAAM for the past two years. You're about to experience something that is truly remarkable and in many ways transcends descriptions and words.

What I will offer, however, is this: have fun. There will come a point (perhaps more than one) when members of your team and your crew will suffer individual and collective moments of crisis. Stay focused on your shared committment and--yes, I'll say it again--remember that RAAM is fun. Enjoy it--the people, the sights, the fatigue, the filth, the comraderie, the accomplishment, etc.

Fun. Remember fun and all will be well.

Regards,
Scott

mschol17
06-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Good luck zfndl! I hope to see your team zoom by in Mt. Airy.

Stay safe.

ThasFACE
06-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I really want to do this some day.

Best of Luck.

rwsaunders
06-03-2008, 11:58 AM
May the wind be at your back, ZNFDL. :beer:

Volant
06-03-2008, 12:01 PM
I really want to do this some day.

Best of Luck.

+11

sbornia
06-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Kick some butt. And stay healthy!

Ti Designs
06-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I think you're taking the challenge that SteveP threw down at last year's Hub on Wheels ride a little too seriously...

hansolo758
06-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Stuart:

Thanks for doing this, have a great time and I hope you have tailwinds all the way.

bumperjohn
06-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Stuart, good luck to you and Jody. I look forward to a ride report when you get back. :banana:

dave thompson
06-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Tailwinds!!

Acotts
06-03-2008, 12:15 PM
My longs hours of training and my anti-social tendecies are about to come to an end.

Here is a letter that I sent to friends and family.

Dear Friends and Family:
Please excuse me for being incommunicado over the last 6 or 7 months, as I have been training for Team RAAM. Racing in RAAM has been one of my life’s goals. It is about to come to fruition as the Team RAAM division starts on June 11, 2008 at Noon PST.

My team has given me the honor of riding the first leg of the 3,000 mile journey. This is an incredible honor, as the racers ride in a 13 mile parade to the official start of the race. Our goal is for the four riders and our crew to cross the country in 7 days / average 432 miles per day.

If you would like to track our team, you can go to the www.raceacrossamerica.org website and under race tracking look for Team Ride4melanoma.

If you would like to support our cause, you can still contribute by going to our website www.ride4melanoma.com

Thanks all, I plan on doing a better job of keeping in touch after the race.

Keep the rubber on the road.

Stuart

You are a crazy man. good luck.

And remember, Chamois cream is for pansies, sun screen will add 5% to your drag co-efficient, wheels with more than 16 spokes are lame and dont drink more than one bottle of water an hour otherwise your lactose levels will build up and your nipples will bleed.

Remember that, and you will do just fine.

Hardlyrob
06-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Good luck Stuart - not that you'll need luck.

Have fun!!

Rob

znfdl
06-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks all.

If I am coherent when I get back, I will do a ride report.

jmeloy
06-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Stuart, very best wishes for a safe and strong journey. I went to the link and gave a little in support of your trip. Had 2 bouts of melanoma in past 4 years and its a great cause.

Checked map.... Camdenton MO is old stomping grounds around the Lake of the Ozarks. Pretty country (and hilly)!

Have a blast!

JAM

johnnymossville
06-03-2008, 02:39 PM
and like others have said, Have Fun. You are embarking on an adventure I daydream of trying someday.

I'm going to track the progress and hope I can get out there along the road with my daughters to cheer as you go by.

Kevan
06-03-2008, 02:51 PM
could you please swing by and pick up a small parcel for me. The store's name is "Riverstones 'n' More". I've already told the store owner to be looking for a guy on a bicycle and he has written my name on the parcel, he assured me of that.

I hope the box won't be too awkward for you. I doubt it'll fit in a jersey pocket and it might be a tad heavy is all. Maybe you could strap it to your bars. Thanks!

Oh, and good luck and get back in a hurry! Please!

chuckred
06-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Now that the preparation is behind you, trust your training! Good luck!

barry1021
06-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Good Luck, and count me in for a donation tonight......

b21

Fixed
06-03-2008, 03:09 PM
I hope you make your target and be safe
come back and post what happened
cheers

RPS
06-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Hope you enjoy the experience.
And good luck in the race.

jeffg
06-03-2008, 03:21 PM
We will be following ...

maunahaole
06-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Ride safe and strong and enjoy the experience. I have a bottle of old vine to share with you when you reach Oahu.

Bruce K
06-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Ride safe and be ready to give us every little story at Hub on Wheels (even if they're not wuite true ;) ).

We'll be tracking your team and sending only positive vibes your way.

BK

mike p
06-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Good luck and God speed Stuart. Have someone take lot's of pic's.

Mike

djg
06-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Good on ya Stuart -- just keep turning the pedals.

mgm777
06-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Best of luck to you, Stuart!

As an aside, how does one "train" for RAAM?

Sandy
06-03-2008, 10:01 PM
May your trip be safe, productive, fun, and most rewarding to you. Just being prepared for such an undertaking is in itself quite an accomplishment. Best to you and your team.

Sandy

Bonz
06-04-2008, 05:38 AM
May your trip be safe, productive, fun, and most rewarding to you. Just being prepared for such an undertaking is in itself quite an accomplishment. Best to you and your team.

Sandy

+ 1 million!

ds97a
06-04-2008, 06:16 AM
I can only echo the responses of others in wishing you good weather and tail winds. I have been fortunate enough to speak with a gentleman who won his age group last year, and he spoke of the tremendous amount of work, and great sense of accomplishment up completion.

Safe and enjoyable journey!
-dan

39cross
06-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Best wishes for a safe, fun and fast journey. Remember in times of need that the Clam Box lies awaiting you at the end of the yellow brick road. Hope to see you in September.

TAW
06-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Hope you do well. Someone earlier said they always dreamed of doing
RAAM, I'm dreaming I don't ever do it. :)

Be careful and enjoy it if that's possible.