PDA

View Full Version : low profile vs high profile rims?

Climb01742
10-02-2004, 07:12 AM
for most of us, do higher profile rims really offer a true benefit? do the supposed areo benefits actually kick-in at the speeds most of us ride? and do these supposed benefits outweigh the harsher ride of higher profile rims? i ask this because every time i ride one of my bikes that has OPs on it, i go "aaaahhhh". in comparison, even my DA10 wheels, while perhaps (?) faster, are definitely harsher, not K harsh, but i can feel the stiffness of the rim's profile. race x lites are a nice ride, but even so...for most of us, aren't simple, classic low profile rims a darn good choice?

zap
10-02-2004, 07:53 AM
You're right. Typical deep section al rims will not provide much aero improvment. But larger, stronger riders will need the rim stiffness aero rims offer.

I think that to get noticable aero improvements, one needs to get a rim with at least a 38mm profile.

IMO, carbon tubular rims offer a very nice ride comparable to op clinchers :banana:

David Kirk
10-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Hello,

Build up a set of Mavic GL330's or even better a pair Mavic Paris Roubaix SSC's and you'll toss the K's into the bay. They are very light, plenty stiff, and butter smooth.

I ride the Paris Roubaix (28H 2x) everyday........on dirt, pavement, single track, etc. and have never taken the spoke wrench to them after the first ride.

Dave