PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen Glop Time

Louis
06-03-2008, 12:11 AM
It's unfortunately that time of year again, when some of us have to slather up with miscellaneous potions to try and keep Mr. Carcinoma at bay. I just bought a little tub of "very water and sweat resistant" SPF 45 clear zinc oxide stuff by Ocean Potion for my face, but when I read the fine print it says:

"Reapply after prolonged sun exposure, after swimming, exercising, or towel drying."

Since it says "after...excercising" you might think, "hey, after my ride I'm inside, so I don't ever have to reapply" but I think what that really means is that exercising/sweating causes the stuff to somehow loose effectiveness, so even during a long ride you need to reapply.

Bottom line, what's the very best stuff for your face, and while you're at it, what do you use elsewhere (mostly arms, for me)? Is there any research out there to help make this decision, or do we just go by what the marketing folks claim?

TIA
Louis

sbornia
06-03-2008, 12:24 AM
I use Aquasport by All-Terrain (sold by REI (http://www.rei.com/product/751168) among others). It has the same qualifying remark about reapplication that you mentioned, but that might be common to all of these products (sounds to me like something a lawyer put in there to CTA).

My gf found this stuff after hunting for sunblocks that had a physical barrier like zinc oxide, while still being relatively easy to apply. I like it because it doesn't have a strong metallic smell like some others. We also tried the Badger brand, which was thicker and stinkier. YMMV.

Kane
06-03-2008, 02:38 AM
-The higher the number the more difficult to spread on your skin.
-Consumer reports says that anything above 30 is marketing.
-Some of this stuff is poisonous.
-The newer spray bottles are great for legs and arms, but they are likely kind of toxic, based upon the smell.
-My favorite face brand is Zia followed by this stick applicator from Coppertone.
-Anything above the $10 price is over kill, but I pay $15 for Zia. Like my former girl friend says, "You better love the smell!"

Cheers,

Kane

milhouse
06-03-2008, 04:02 AM
I use this stuff:
http://www.ultrasun.ch/produkte/e_p20.htm

is not like other sunscreens in that it's a lotion & pretty much burns into the skin when you put it on. Doesn't sweat out at all. Would be nice if it was higher SPF, but as mentioned above, higher SPF doesn't absorb so well & above 30 is marketing. But, 20spf seems good enough & I've used on some really hot rides before (got tanlines but didn't burn).

The other trick, if you know you've got a big day coming up (i.e. a long race the next day) is to shower in the evening & put some high spf stuff on before you go to bed. Allows it all to completely absorb. Then put another layer on the following morning min 1hr before heading out.

William
06-03-2008, 05:15 AM
Also much easier to apply when you're shorn. I don't recommend going as far as Dr. Evil,...

http://zerotosixty.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/medium_dr_evil_1.jpg

....but that's up to you....and I don’t need to know. :no:

'

William

GregLR
06-03-2008, 05:42 AM
-The higher the number the more difficult to spread on your skin.
-Also much easier to apply when you're shorn.
This is why I shave my legs in summer - it makes it much easier to apply and then wash off sticky sunscreen.

Greg

MarcusPless
06-03-2008, 06:11 AM
I've been using Aloe Gator for several years now. I started out using if for fishing (in the ocean, where one occasionally gets soaked by rogue waves :D ) but it's worked out quite well on the bike as well. People that are sensitive to different sunscreens, ie everything but brand x makes their face break out, have tried it and liked it as well. I never re-apply it; first thing in the morning is good for all day.

If I can't find it locally I'll add a few tubes to my "cart" when I order something from REI.

--Marcus

Birddog
06-03-2008, 08:22 AM
http://www.shoptraveldoctor.com/catalog/images/sunscreenspf30_no%20ad.jpg
A friend of mine did a research paper on sunscreens some years back. He says this stuff is as good as any and it's usually a bargain. I've used it for years with good results.
Birddog

William
06-03-2008, 08:31 AM
A friend of mine did a research paper on sunscreens some years back. He says this stuff is as good as any and it's usually a bargain. I've used it for years with good results.
Birddog

Ditto.

William

deechee
06-03-2008, 08:32 AM
neutrogena ultra sheer.
the stuff is a bit pricey but its smooth and really non greasy. I find that because its non gooey I apply more of it and my skin hasn't turned super dark yet even though I've been outside quite a bit already.

Kevan
06-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Birddog

I'm thinking there's no-way anyone is going to know about the stuff I'm using. Bought this stuff in the BIG bottle f'r 'bout $8, promising A/B protection 'n' all. Stuff is a bit of a pain to apply, takes some good rubbing in to make the white disappear, but heavy enough that you can feel it still in place after 5 hours sweating in the sun. Works for me but for one thing, the typical smell of suntan lotion.

Is there a similar quality/priced lotion out there that has no smell? None whatsoever?!

Blue Jays
06-03-2008, 08:47 AM
"...The other trick, if you know you've got a big day coming up (i.e. a long race the next day) is to shower in the evening & put some high spf stuff on before you go to bed. Allows it all to completely absorb. Then put another layer on the following morning min 1hr before heading out..."Agreed! I've done this on several occasions and the technique works great.
"...Neutrogena Ultra Sheer.
the stuff is a bit pricey but its smooth and really non greasy. I find that because it's non-gooey I apply more of it and my skin hasn't turned super dark yet even though I've been outside quite a bit already..."This is also my preferred sunblock for the reasons mentioned.
Use caution with sunblocks as far as accidentally getting it on sunglass lenses because some lotion ingredients can cause coatings to delaminate. Rare, but I've seen it happen.

dookie
06-03-2008, 08:49 AM
speaking as a red-head who can't turn on the lights without wearing sunscreen, bullfrog quik-gel (spf 36) is my *best* friend! i've been using it almost exclusively since it was available (over 20 years!)...never let me down. it was the original 'waterproof / sports' sunblock, originally aimed at the surfing market.

it's an alcohol-based gel that goes on clear and dries very quickly...none of that creamy goop, and easy to apply evenly. it takes a shower to get it off...maybe two. full UVA (go 'hoos, go!) / UVB protection.

i can spend all day on the beach or on the bike without having to reapply (so long as i don't rub it off with towel/jersey while drying off). for real.

i also use the neutrogena oil-free spray when durability isn't at issue and minimal skin presence is. that's what's in the glove box of the convertible.

$0.02

1happygirl
06-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Sunscreen here lately in the South has just not been doing it for me lately. It's gonna be 101 this afternoon with full sun. Messy, non-protective, stinging. I know ya may look dorky but....I'm trying this (only 4.95 shipping too)
(would paste photo but don't know how)

SPF 50
http://www.sungrubbies.com/product_index_html/product_detail_html/Face-Mask-SunProtectionHood.html

The fact that no-one will be seen with you wearing it is beside the point. I know my friends refused until I took it off.

You wear it so you don't look like the Marlboro man.

Chad Engle
06-03-2008, 09:31 AM
+1 on what dookie said.

My daughter is a very fair skinned red head. We have found that Bullfrog is the best thing for her.

Use a stick applicator for the face and around the eyes and slather her with the spray or gel.

The other kids do just fine with the No Add 36 spf.

I can get by with any brand with a 10 spf.

93legendti
06-03-2008, 09:34 AM
neutrogena ultra sheer.
the stuff is a bit pricey but its smooth and really non greasy. I find that because its non gooey I apply more of it and my skin hasn't turned super dark yet even though I've been outside quite a bit already.

I like the Neutrogena Healthy Defense* Oil-Free Sunblock Stick SPF 30 - easy to apply; never runs in my eyes and small enough to carry if I need to reapply.

ClutchCargo
06-03-2008, 09:53 AM
speaking as a red-head who can't turn on the lights without wearing sunscreen, bullfrog quik-gel (spf 36) is my *best* friend! . . .

i've been using it almost exclusively since it was available (over 20 years!)

i also use the neutrogena oil-free spray when durability isn't at issue and minimal skin presence is. that's what's in the glove box of the convertible.

$0.02

+1 on the Bullfrog Quik-Gel. good stuff!

rpm
06-03-2008, 09:59 AM
From the folks at Mayo Clinic. The best IMHO:

http://www.psico.com/products/vani_sunscreen_sport.cfm

jthurow
06-03-2008, 10:11 AM
The Environmental Working Group did a study of safe and effective sunscreens, http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens/summary.php.

jimi

Volant
06-03-2008, 10:15 AM
I've used a summerweight L/S jersey up to 100 deg. and it's worked great! Hammer Nutrition sells one at a reasonable price. $50
http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=PRODUCT&CAT=CYCLING&PROD.ID=5193&OMI=10152,10050,10047&AMI=10152&uir=product.category,CYCLING,Cycling

Doesn't help with face/neck/legs though. For that, the NO AD works well.

happycampyer
06-03-2008, 08:44 PM
+1 for BullFrog and Neutrogena. I have also been using Blue Lizard and like it too. I had skin cancer removed almost 10 years ago (probably caused by bad sunburns from when I was a kid), so I don't take this stuff lightly. See a dermatologist at least once a year if you're fair skinned (and even if you're not but you spend a lot of time in the sun).

Another thing I used last fall while on a trip to HI were "arm coolers" made by DeSoto. They worked great there--they never felt hot, but we'll see how comfortable they are in the soupy East Coast summer air.

David Millar apparently has a bad sun allergy and you might have seen him wearing long sleeves at last year's Tour. Haven't been able to figure out what he was wearing though.

tys
06-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Sunscreen, Goathead thorns, and Stoplights: my three main complaints about cycling.
I've been using the Aveeno stuff lately. SPF 70 :eek: on my face and 40 for the rest of me. Works nicely even on very long days (I never re-apply later in the day.)
Doesn't smell bad, isn't terribly greasy.

tys
in NM, where it's always sunscreen season

WadePatton
06-04-2008, 10:00 PM
speaking as a red-head who can't turn on the lights without wearing sunscreen, bullfrog quik-gel (spf 36) is my *best* friend! i've been using it almost exclusively since it was available (over 20 years!)...never let me down. it was the original 'waterproof / sports' sunblock, originally aimed at the surfing market.

it's an alcohol-based gel that goes on clear and dries very quickly...none of that creamy goop, and easy to apply evenly. it takes a shower to get it off...maybe two. full UVA (go 'hoos, go!) / UVB protection.

ANOTHER satisfied BF customer.

EASY on and no pina colada smell.

keithreynolds
06-05-2008, 01:17 PM
+1 for Blue Lizard Sun Scream; my running dermatologist recommended it. I have the sensitive formula for face and I think this is also chemical free for swimming holes. I use the regular sport bottle for the rest.

Couldn't find it in stores here in New England, had to order it on Walgreens.com for about 10$ a bottle

jimp1234
06-05-2008, 03:38 PM
This is what my dermatologist recommended. Expensive but works very well.

I put this on face, ears and neck while riding and never get burned, even on the hottest days. Has micronized Zinc Oxide.

http://skincarerx.com/review_box.html?pid=2186

I wear this on a daily basis. Lower rating but has Mexoryl SX which blocks Ultraviolet "A".

http://skincarerx.com/review_box.html?pid=4519

bozman
06-05-2008, 05:32 PM
+1 on the Vanicream. It has a tendency to make you look a little ghostly but it works well even if you are sweating for a few hours.

The wife and I have also used several of the Blue Lizard products on ourselves and our kids and they work very well, too. The cool thing about them is the bottle or lid changes color in UV light which lets you know how bad it is.

Lastly, the Kinesys fragrance-free spray also works well. They have a 1 oz bottle which is easy to throw in a jersey pocket.

All of these get good scores on the EWG site.