PDA

View Full Version : OT: Another Blues Stringer Is Gone

rounder
06-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I was reading the internet today and saw that Bo Didley died. He was probably more famous for his sound than for his music. The first concert I ever saw was in high school and a DJ friend gave me tickets. The headliner was Bobby Rydell if anyone remembers him. Bo Didley ruled the show with his cigar box styled guitar and knockout riffs. RIP Bo Didley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8PIbrMh6vo

Sandy
06-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Yep. Always remember him doing the Hand Jive. Great personality. He will be missed.

Sandy

Fixed
06-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Bo Didley Bo Didley where you been ....
the one of first song my dad ever taught me to play ..that rhythm is from africa
it has been used forever
Bo Didley will live with me as long as i live
cheers

William
06-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Sad news indeed. RIP Bo.

William

MilanoTom
06-03-2008, 09:31 AM
I saw Bo play in a nightclub in Providence many years ago (maybe 25 years ago - Jeez, I'm getting old), sharing the stage with Ron Wood. I saw Bo play again at Mohegan Sun's Wolf Den probably a little over a year ago. He looked very frail and did most of the show sitting down, but he never let up and when they were trying to get him to end his set (so the audience could get back to gamblin'), he just kept going and going and going. He enjoyed what he was doing, and his fans loved him for it.

He was probably quite a character, too. When I was in college, I heard a local comedian (and former musician) by the name of Rudy Cheeks tell the story of how his band had opened for Bo at a local nightclub. At the show, his band gave Bo a (no doubt cheesy) trophy that said something along the lines of "world's greatest rock and roller." Rudy said he saw Bo a couple of years later, and Bo told him that the Rolling Stones had given him a set of solid gold cufflinks with his initials on them. According to the story, Bo then said, "You know what I did with them? I epoxied them to the trophy!!!"

Regards.
Tom

MarleyMon
06-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Bo was one of the greats - I saw him at the Chicago Blues Fest jam w/ Keith Richards - fantastic!
He was also an electronics pioneer, too - built his own amps and rigs.
Started on violin as a kid - he said his technique was all in the wrist because of his classical training.

Hey, Bo Diddley!