PDA

View Full Version : Saddle recommendation please

Chad Engle
06-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Finished building a 29inch rigid mtb over the weekend. Due to differing seat tube angles and a shorter top tube I need a seat with a lot of rail to get my KOPS.

I was going to run a B17, uncomfortable in the short test ride I took and way too short of rails.

I took the WTB Laser V off of my other mtn bike, I have always liked this saddle, but the rails are also too short.

I am already using a Thomson set back post so the only other variable is saddle.

Any recommendations? Does WTB have a similar saddle with longer rails?

Thanks!

regularguy412
06-02-2008, 04:40 PM
The Selle Italia SLK Gel has about 9 cm of flat rail (bend to bend). If the top of your seatpost clamp is pretty narrow, you could probably get most of that length as adjustment.

Mike in AR:beer:

Ken Robb
06-02-2008, 05:32 PM
There is a chance that the tt is just too short for you and getting all the set-back you need for KOPS may leave so little weight on the front wheel that it will wash out easily in corners and make keeping the wheel on the ground while you are climbing very difficult. My guess would be that you will have a better compromise by having your knees a bit forward of KOPS and a resonable amount of weight on the front wheel. OTOH, if stunts and wheelies are your thing you may be on the right path. :)

Chad Engle
06-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Ken
That is a possibility but I'm going to give a different saddle a try before I scrap the new frame. :)

Given the difference in seat tube angle, and I'm only looking for another half inch or so, I don't think the weight distribution will be affected greatly. The new frame is significantly steeper than the old and weight distribution was ok.

Thanks for the replies.

Any reason I couldn't run an Aliante on the mtb?

Ken Robb
06-02-2008, 10:43 PM
I think you can use any saddle that feels good. My Ariones certainly are the longest saddles I have tried. I like them and my Brooks---go figure--they couldn't look less similar.

Ken Robb
06-02-2008, 10:45 PM
people a lot smarter than me have suggested that KOPS is over-rated so maybe you should try riding with your knees a bit forward and see how it works for you?

Mud
06-03-2008, 07:02 AM
such as the FSA has a much longer setback and might be your answer.

Fixed
06-03-2008, 07:35 AM
bro i have one i think you will like send me your address and it is yours free
cheers

Birddog
06-03-2008, 08:09 AM
In measuring from the nose back, my Alliante appears to have about 1/2" more rail than my Brooks B17. That might be just what you need.

Birddog

Chad Engle
06-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Fixed - Thanks so much for the offer. Let me try the Aliante off my road bike, if that does the trick I'll go that route. If not I'll take you up on the offer.

Thanks for the help all!