PDA

View Full Version : Skewered

Too Tall
10-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Has anyone made a better quick release than Salsa Flip Off? Hook a tall man up.

dirtdigger88
10-01-2004, 06:41 PM
no

jason

pale scotsman
10-01-2004, 07:04 PM
Sir T Squared - How about Ultegra, Dura Ace, Record, or Chorus depending on what wheels you run? Either of these do the job and do it well. Granted they may not be the latest boutique skewers but they won't let you down. :beer: :banana: :beer:

coylifut
10-01-2004, 07:09 PM
I like the skewers that come on the Bontrager Race X Lites. My favorite. The Mavic Skewers are my least favorite.

Sandy
10-01-2004, 09:26 PM
Shimano Dura-Ace. Better than Salsa. I have Salsa on one set of wheels and Dura-Ace on the other.

Sometimes Salsa Sometimes Shimano,

Skewered Sandy

Kevin
10-02-2004, 06:28 AM
T2,

Forget the name brands, its time to go for the one man shop. I have had Bold Precision skewers for about a year. They are rock solid, light (49 grams per pair) and look great.

http://www.boldprecision.com/bicycle.htm#skewers

Kevin

Too Tall
10-02-2004, 06:46 AM
Yes yes, good recommend for DA or Campag those never let me down. I'm in a boutique mood. Hmmm, Bold is in the lead. I have two of his posts and I get to talk motorbikes if I order. Definately a front runner.

kokies
10-02-2004, 06:59 AM
I just ordered these new carbon skewers from control tech. Price was right but they were hard to find. Weight is 65grams for the pair.

zap
10-02-2004, 08:12 AM
AM Classic has an excellent skewer. I'd rank it higher than Salsa.

Sandy, think lite ;)

93legendti
10-02-2004, 09:09 AM
I like Mavic, Salsa and D/A skewers.

dirtdigger88
10-02-2004, 09:42 AM
See, I think the Bolds look good, but more MTB than road, the control tech? Personally- I think they are way too over the top, sorry :) I admit the DA and Campy work great but they are. . . well, stock (OEM so to speak) The Salsas say you care enough about your bike to personally pick out your skewers- but you are not going for the spinning wheel effect :no: Simple, elegant- "bling" with "cool".

Jason

Jeff N.
10-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Don't see many of them any more, but I like the Syncros Ti skewers. Cook Bros makes (made?) some great ones too...Dog Bones, I think they were/are called. Jeff N.

hypnos
10-02-2004, 10:47 AM
The DT Swiss skewers are the perfect accent for my Hugi hubs. Lite, functional and relatively inexpensive.

JackL
10-05-2004, 05:50 PM
I've had Salsa (with Ti skewers) slip in horizontal rear dropouts, usually when straining in a low gear. Campy or Shimano skewers seem to grip better in this application. The Salsa are lighter in weight, and fine for vertical dropouts, but I wouldn't call them superior to Shimano/Campy. Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never had any skewer accidentally come loose.

dbrk
10-05-2004, 06:47 PM
In the 1990s Mavic made skewers to go with their 571, 501 and other hubs and these are just terrible: too soft, not enough bite, they slip, and if you have horizontal drop-outs they can lapse to tire rubbing the chainstay on the inside before you really notice. I am no fan of Mavic skewers. The new ones on, say, my Ksyriums are okay but the Campag and Shimano are far better and Salsa is better than those for pure ease of use, bite, hassle free perfection. Now if only someone made Salsa quality bite and ease but with the FLAT lever like the original Campagnolo. Why _doesn't_ someone make those? Why these stupit [sic] curved ones? FLAT skewer levers, I say, FLAT.

dbrk

vaxn8r
10-05-2004, 11:40 PM
Now if only someone made Salsa quality bite and ease but with the FLAT lever like the original Campagnolo. Why _doesn't_ someone make those? Why these stupit [sic] curved ones? FLAT skewer levers, I say, FLAT.

dbrk

You mean like Dura Ace? Seriously.