PDA

View Full Version : 700c wheels on mountain bike

mavic1010
06-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Okay, question for your techie guys out there.

Is it possible to run 700c wheels on a mountain bike frame. Any negative ramifications?? I'm looking for the versatility of riding on the dirt as well as some regular road riding. I know I could run another set of 26inch wheels with slicks, but just wondering if it's possible.

Thanks!

Ti Designs
06-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Mavic made a set of wheels called Speed City, which were 700c wheels with 135 spacing and disk rotor mounts. The idea was that with cross or road tires the wheels would fit fine and roll far better. The one catch is the brakes, you need disk brakes 'cause the braking surface of the rim does change far too much for a simple adjustment.

PacNW2Ford
I assume you are talking about a traditional 26" MTB. If you're running disc brakes, no problem. Mavic even sells a wheel for this application, the Speed City.

flickwet
issues primarily as relates to canti studs, not to mention slack angles and tire clearence,If you can swing it a cyclocross frame makes for the best compromise

PacNW2Ford
06-01-2008, 09:30 PM
ha Ti, I am now the slowest guy...

Peter P.
06-01-2008, 09:58 PM

Is it possible to run 700c wheels on a mountain bike frame. Any negative ramifications?? I'm looking for the versatility of riding on the dirt as well as some regular road riding. I know I could run another set of 26inch wheels with slicks, but just wondering if it's possible.

Thanks!

It would work with disc wheels, but due to the differences in wheel radius, it would change the bottom bracket height, and perhaps more importantly, the trail figure (and thus the steering) of the bike. Actually, if you were to measure a 26" wheel with a 2.0" tire versus a 700c wheel with a 23mm tire, you'd find they're closer I originally thought. Therefore, I wouldn't expect any clearance issues to arise from this concept.

The new, 29er sized mountain bikes ARE 700c wheels.

mavic1010
06-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks everyone, in case I'm being a little dense, from what I'm hearing it is possible to do this. I saw those speedcity wheels, but for the money, I think I'd rather just have a set built up.

I'm thinking about getting a set of XTR hubs laced to open pro's...I'm going to be running discs anyways, so that should alleviate the braking problem.

palincss
06-02-2008, 07:31 AM

Thanks!

So let's suppose for a moment that everything fits (which, given the disk brakes, it probably will). What you end up with is MTB geometry, handlebar and controls on a road bike. I don't know much about MTBs, especially not current ones. Would the geometry of your MTB work well on the road, and can you ride long distances with MTB bars and riding position?

don'TreadOnMe
06-02-2008, 07:46 AM
You've got to use something like Avid Tri-Aligns if you aren't going w/disks.
I've done it, it works.

But...like others note, disks are the best way to go, b/c you're not messing around w/canti arms and brake pads every time you switch wheels.

W/regards to road riding/changed geometry, it's no big deal.
Again, I've done it lots, and it makes for an eye-opening fast ride.
My only regret would be not having big enough gears, b/c typically mtb's don't run large front chainrings.

gdw
06-02-2008, 09:49 AM
"Would the geometry of your MTB work well on the road, and can you ride long distances with MTB bars and riding position"

The geometry works well on the road and is fine over long distances. It's quite common to see riders doing centuries on MTB's and many people do extended tours on them.

Kane
06-02-2008, 11:43 AM
So let's suppose for a moment that everything fits (which, given the disk brakes, it probably will). What you end up with is MTB geometry, handlebar and controls on a road bike. I don't know much about MTBs, especially not current ones. Would the geometry of your MTB work well on the road, and can you ride long distances with MTB bars and riding position?

This issue has been dealt with by Bruce Gordon. (Bruce Gordon.com?) Bruce won the best bike last year at the No. American handbuilt show for a lugged Ti bike that was beautiful. But, he builds a bike called 'Rock & Road'. The bike has these special gizmo quick release wire doolie dads which allow you to switch handle bars in about four minutes.

Cheers,

Kane

Volant
06-02-2008, 01:32 PM
"Would the geometry of your MTB work well on the road, and can you ride long distances with MTB bars and riding position"

The geometry works well on the road and is fine over long distances. It's quite common to see riders doing centuries on MTB's and many people do extended tours on them.

Just did a century on my mtb (26") hardtail with slicks. Big ring is 48 on my older XTR and small in back was 11. Did just fine keeping up with the road bikes. I have clip-on road drops for my flat bar and I add bar-ends to give me my hood-position. Works out beautifully.

One note - if you're riding with people that don't know you, as I was, it took a little time to gain the 'roadies' trust.

Fixed
06-02-2008, 02:12 PM
bro what is wrong with 26 inch wheels they are strong and roll up fast i like the lower center too .
imho cheers :beer:
I would save my money and get one of these a 650b
http://www.dirtragmag.com/gal/showphoto.php?photo=3068&cat=648
or use some 650 wheels and you will not have to change anything and they will be real light ..