PDA

View Full Version : Avocet O2 saddle replacement

RPS
06-01-2008, 04:34 PM
My wife’s old-style Avocet O2 saddle (picture below) on our Co-Motion is shot, and I’d like to find her a replacement. Does anyone know of any supplier of new old stock? If not, any suggestion from those who successfully switched from the Avocet O2 (woman’s model) to a current saddle?

BTW, she has the newer version of this saddle (the one with a depression at center) in like-new condition and doesn’t like it as much – says it’s too firm. For now she’d rather ride a worn saddle than break in the newer one.

TimB
06-01-2008, 04:49 PM
My wife went from the same Avocet to a Terry Butterfly on our tandem, then had me swap out all her other saddles for the Terry. Of course, HMMV.

RPS
06-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Of course, HMMV.Thanks Tim. What does that mean? Sounds like it could be a negative.

jthurow
06-01-2008, 05:50 PM
hmmv = her mileage may vary

jimi

PaMtbRider
06-01-2008, 06:21 PM
I would like to find a source for the men's version as well. I also tried the newer style replacement for the O2air 40m and the differences are just enough that it doesn't work for me either.

RPS
06-01-2008, 06:35 PM
I would like to find a source for the men's version as well. I also tried the newer style replacement for the O2air 40m and the differences are just enough that it doesn't work for me either.Same here. I have three of the old ones (two in great shape and one worn out) and two of the new style -- which are good but I don't like as much. Over time I've gotten used to the new style but still prefer the old. If I could find new old stock I'd also buy at least one more for myself.

Kane
06-02-2008, 01:31 AM
a Terry saddle or a WTB saddle. I retired my air o2 and tried a performance saddle that is a men's Terry clone. It is definitely not the limiting factor.

Cheers,

Kane

taylorj
06-02-2008, 12:49 PM
You might try Palo Alto Bicycles. The owner of Avocet also owns PAB, and they may be able to get you hooked up. I am looking in my garage. I have NOS (old style) limited edition White Avocet O2's. In a box. Somewhere. Also black ones --slightly used. I really need to do some spring cleaning---but won't get to it for a few weeks. Call Jeff @ Palo Alto and see if he can help though. Good luck! Joni

cmg
06-02-2008, 12:58 PM
A while back i contacted Avocet about wanting to buy old-style Avocet O2 saddle like yours. Someone e-mailed me back saying that they still made the saddle in small numbers and gave me an e-mail address of a shop that carried them. Contact Avocet and see if this is still true. http://www.avocet.com/directory.html Send e-mail to their Help desk.

BarryG
06-02-2008, 01:54 PM
When I checked a few years ago, Avocet was happy to sell me a saddle directly. Their Web site has never been very well organized, but browse around avocet.com and look for phone numbers to call (e.g., http://avocet.com/directory.html)

RPS
06-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks guys – I appreciate all the help.

I spoke with Craig at Avocet and he has a few of the original “Classic” woman’s O2 with chrome-moly rails in stock for $69.95 plus shipping.

At present he is out of the original men’s Classic but will be manufacturing another batch in the Fall – maybe around September. From his comments it sounds like many riders prefer the original Classic O2 design over the newer anatomical.

Rick