PDA

View Full Version : S & S couplers creaking ?

Smiley
06-01-2008, 01:29 PM
On the tandem the last 2 rides we have had terrible creaking sounds so today I un bolted the couplers and teflon lubed them to death. Also lubed my crazy stoker adjustable seat mast on the Periscope. Added a touch of oil on the saddle joints at the plastic connectors. Pray that one of these remidies solves the problem.

The TT stokers coupler was hand tight and that could have been the problem.

Pete Serotta
06-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Hope that works.....It is just all the power be generated.

93legendti
06-01-2008, 02:59 PM
On the tandem the last 2 rides we have had terrible creaking sounds so today I un bolted the couplers and teflon lubed them to death. Also lubed my crazy stoker adjustable seat mast on the Periscope. Added a touch of oil on the saddle joints at the plastic connectors. Pray that one of these remidies solves the problem.

The TT stokers coupler was hand tight and that could have been the problem.

How much lube do you use on your couplers? I lubed mine pretty good (I didn't want to use the whole syringe), when i cked thema fe weeks later it seemd the lube was "gone", but I feel a slight film on the threads..

As fas as noise, our Santana once had a wicked creak. It took me a week to find out it was the rear seatpost's collar which was not "seated" properly on the seat tube.

Smiley
06-01-2008, 03:38 PM
How much lube do you use on your couplers? I lubed mine pretty good (I didn't want to use the whole syringe), when i cked thema fe weeks later it seemd the lube was "gone", but I feel a slight film on the threads..

As fas as noise, our Santana once had a wicked creak. It took me a week to find out it was the rear seatpost's collar which was not "seated" properly on the seat tube.
Its could be the collar and yet it maybe the losened S&S coupler. I lube them really good so they don't seaze up with sweat and moisture. Its SST on SST threads or Ti on Ti which is worse. Can't be too safe.

93legendti
06-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Its could be the collar and yet it maybe the losened S&S coupler. I lube them really good so they don't seaze up with sweat and moisture. Its SST on SST threads or Ti on Ti which is worse. Can't be too safe.
By mistake I rode once with my couplers only hand tight and there was no creak, but tandems are a whole different ballgame.

Can you still actually see the lube on your threads after some time has elapsed since you lubed them? I put on a lot when I lubed the threads, but weeks later I couldn't see lube on the threads.