PDA

View Full Version : Women's Bibs

caleb
06-01-2008, 11:10 AM
My girlfriend got her first road bike last week, and now needs some shorts.

She wants bibs, and they seem to be in short supply.

Any recommendations for quality women's bib shorts?

regularguy412
06-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Here's a place to start:

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/ASSWAREZ

They're not cheap, but prolly one of the best.

Mike in AR:beer:

malcolm
06-01-2008, 01:09 PM
My wife has been riding castellis for the past couple years and really likes them. She got some bibs last summer and was not a fan.

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Here's a place to start:

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/ASSWAREZ

They're not cheap, but prolly one of the best.

Mike in AR:beer:

. . . but I saw a picture of these and assumed they would probably work pretty well, given the "Women's specific ergonomic cut for less pressure on sensitive areas." . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

shinomaster
06-01-2008, 01:17 PM
I was surprised that there were so few womens bibs in my CC catalog. Do women not need them because they have a higher waist?

Louis
06-01-2008, 01:22 PM
I was surprised that there were so few womens bibs in my CC catalog. Do women not need them because they have a higher waist?

This is going to get graphic pretty quick...

Refer back to the "nipple burn" threads and you'll begin to understand the nature of the problem...

shinomaster
06-01-2008, 01:30 PM

Refer back to the "nipple burn" threads and you'll begin to understand the nature of the problem...

I think we need models to demonstrate.

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2008, 01:54 PM

Women are just built differently and I'm surprised Assos is the first to try some sort of different design to account for the differences. Then again, maybe it's not surprising, considering how many years it took for bike companies to figure out that women need differently designed bikes.

Not to be joking at all . . . I imagine having bib straps rubbing on nipples for hours straight would put some women off of riding completely. It's gotta hurt. Similar to a guy having a bad saddle that leaves the jewels dead and being told, "That's just the way the equipment's designed. Live with it."

BBD

Ginger
06-01-2008, 01:57 PM

Really. Do you have personal experience with that from a female's point of view Louis? Most women wear a sports bra.

It's more the total disrobement to use the bathroom thing. Not bad in an actual bathroom, but a port-a-potty sucks, as do some gas station bathrooms.

Although putting buttons on the straps so they can be disconnected without taking the jersey off takes care of that issue to a point. Some makers have the single strap front with a connector and it works well. And there's the other bathroom option (I forget what that thing is called.) Still a bit of a pain either way.

I'm not fond of Castelli's pad options, so I can't count those as my favorites.
I have a pair of winter hinicape tights that are quite nice and you get used to the single clip in front.

I have a pair of Santini men's bibs that I like...

Terry makes a set of women's bibs as well. I think...but then, I'm not fond of Terry quality. Some of their stuff is only good for one year of riding before it falls apart.

and oh...there's another set of bibs that I have that I like. Part of my Sachs kit.

So...if I pair a set of standard bibs with a full zip jersey, life is good. If a ride isn't too long and I'm not going to stop, any arrangement is fine. Otherwise I wear shorts.

Mud
06-01-2008, 02:05 PM
but they are fragile. Biggest issue with her was the pressure on her "parts caused by the strap being a hair too tight. She prefers shorts. She is a real "princess and the pea" so my only advise is to buy one to try.

Louis
06-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Really. Do you have personal experience with that from a female's point of view Louis?

In fact I do. Back before my sex-change operation I searched high and low for bibs that worked for me. Had no luck, so I made the leap to the other side :banana:

happycampyer
06-01-2008, 02:18 PM
There may be other issues (e.g., women-specific chamois, etc.), but I am aware of two common problems: where do the bib straps go, and how complicated is it to go to the bathroom. The women's version of the Castelli bib straps are off to the side. The Etxe Ondo--and now the newest (and super-expensive) Assos, looking at the above post--has a single strap in front that splits in a Y as it goes over the shoulders. I have bought a pair of the Etxe Ondo bibs for my wife and she really likes them, but she won't wear them if there isn't a proper bathroom nearby. I have also bought her the women's Assos shorts, which she also likes a lot because they don't have a narrow elastic waistband. Her favorite of the lot is a Campagnolo sleeveless skinsuit, but they don't make it anymore, or at least not for the US market. Nalini makes something that appears to be similar:

http://www.cbike.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=72

Although their prices are nothing special, one of the best sources that I have found for high-quality women's cycling apparel on the internet is teamcyclist.com.

Btw, the jersey that Castelli makes for Serotta is actually really nice looking, too...

http://www.serotta.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SCB&Category_Code=CC

capybaras
06-01-2008, 02:48 PM
In fact I do. Back before my sex-change operation I searched high and low for bibs that worked for me. Had no luck, so I made the leap to the other side :banana:

Allez!

Karin Kirk
06-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Thank you Ginger, for helping these guys get the story straight! :p

I don't have a strong preference for bibs vs shorts, it's mostly the chamois and the fabric that determine which stuff ends up being my favorite.

On the Castelli, I tried the KISS pad and found it to be pretty bad. I upgraded to their y-pro chamois and those shorts were so good I bought 2 more pairs.

I've also had good luck with PI and Santini.

That saidn, no one's recommendation is really going to get you too far - do you have a nearby shop that carries the good stuff?

malcolm
06-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Karin and Ginger have the same thoughts as my wife, bibs and porta potties don't mix. Cheri did basically the same thing with the castellis didn't like the budget chamois but the y-pro or whatever their upper end one is has become her favorite.

Skrawny
06-01-2008, 05:14 PM
From what my female cycling friends tell me, the problem with bathroom breaks is the biggest problem...
... namely they have to completely disrobe rather than just drop the pants-
-s

SManning
06-01-2008, 06:28 PM
I loved Bibs when I was pregnant. They supported my belly and when I was pregnant I didn't venture too far from a real bathroom anyway so it didn't matter. I had such a big belly that I didn't have any contact issues. I'm sure Hincapie really didn't design his bibs to be worn by a pregnant woman.

Now that I'm not pregnant I'm back to wearing real shorts again.

cadence231
06-01-2008, 06:51 PM
From what my female cycling friends tell me, the problem with bathroom breaks is the biggest problem...
... namely they have to completely disrobe rather than just drop the pants-
-s

SMP to the rescue!
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/cadence220/DSC02332.jpgAvailable in men's and women's! :beer:

taylorj
06-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Campagnolo Sportswear has a nice bib as well (L108). I have used Assos, Girodana, Castelli, and Santini...If I am doing really long rides, which require any "outdoor potty stops", having the ability to disrobe without removing my jersey is imperative. Bibs are very comfortable---Campagnolo's Women's racing series uses the same high-end technology as the Men's - only in women's fit. (So the shorts are longer for performace reasons) but still look Italian hot! :D

Ginger
06-02-2008, 10:38 PM
I was contemplating this...

Why does your GF want bibs? Supposed comfort, or to look "hot"??

Now...if she's not shy about the disrobing thing, and wants to look superhot (and can pull it off) why not a skinsuit...heck, even a one piece with a sports bra rather than a shelf bra (if she's any bigger than an A cup, for long rides I suggest a good, supportive sports bra, not one of those ones that mash...)

To me, one of the most aggravating things about bibs in summer is that it's JUST ONE MORE LAYER ON YOUR BACK in the summer time depending on the bibs. You've got your sports bra, your bibs, then your jersey. Even if you wear an underlayer to wick, the bibs are one more layer that moisture has to get through.

A skin suit takes care of all that. Especially if you can tolerate the shelf bra.

Of course, I won't wear a skin suit unless I weigh like...130 or less...Ms. Kirk looks particularly good in one and you can find her on this site. If your GF looks like that on the bike? Yeah, she can wear a skin suit.

People will ask her where the TT is, but other than that...
(oh...and if they fit "right" they aren't terribly comfortable off the bike...)

Just say'n...

banana

shinomaster
06-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Really. Do you have personal experience with that from a female's point of view Louis? Most women wear a sports bra.

It's more the total disrobement to use the bathroom thing. Not bad in an actual bathroom, but a port-a-potty sucks, as do some gas station bathrooms.

Although putting buttons on the straps so they can be disconnected without taking the jersey off takes care of that issue to a point. Some makers have the single strap front with a connector and it works well. And there's the other bathroom option (I forget what that thing is called.) Still a bit of a pain either way.

I have a pair of winter hinicape tights that are quite nice and you get used to the single clip in front.

Terry makes a set of women's bibs as well. I think...but then, I'm not fond of Terry quality. Some of their stuff is only good for one year of riding before it falls apart.

and oh...there's another set of bibs that I have that I like. Part of my Sachs kit.

So...if I pair a set of standard bibs with a full zip jersey, life is good. If a ride isn't too long and I'm not going to stop, any arrangement is fine. Otherwise I wear shorts.

You're a girl?

Ginger
06-03-2008, 07:19 AM
You're a girl?
Meaning just What Johnny boy?

I haven't been called "girl" by anyone who had any respect for females in a long long time. Most people use my name.

alimey
06-03-2008, 05:53 PM
When I first started riding I noticed that men preferred bibs & women seemed to wear shorts more often. The nipple thing (also which side to wear the straps!) was a problem for me - but a couple of brands do a 'y' shaped front which is great. BUT by far the biggest problem was the bathroom issue. I wanted to wear bibs for a sleek shape & to lose the waistband on shorts which can be uncomfortable. So eventually I managed to find a German brand called 'Protective'. Terrible name - but they make a great women's bibshort which has a 'y' top & a clever zip at the back . . . say no more.

The chamois is great, the shorts are very comfy & the bathroom think isn't a problem. I think getting hold of them in the US is likely to be the biggest problem though. Here's a link to the UK stockists:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=8007&f%5FSupersetQRY=C333&f%5FSortOrderID=1&f%5Fbct=c003156c003158c003751c003752

Protective women's bibshorts (http://www.edinburghcycle.co.uk)

BumbleBeeDave
06-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Meaning just What Johnny boy?

I haven't been called "girl" by anyone who had any respect for females in a long long time. Most people use my name.

. . . be patient with the boy. He's always doing that pottery thing. All those glaze fumes . . . a few degrees off plumb . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

mikki
06-03-2008, 11:35 PM

I only have one bibs, "Hincapies" and must say that they rather choke me when I have to tinkle. They are by far the best looking ones I've seen and are very comfortable not having a waistband and on my legs but uncomfortable when having to pee while wearing a jersey and bra. I am hoping someone comes up with some better ones that not only look great but function extremely well. (well; why not both good looking and great functioning bibs???!!) I like the smooth feeling of riding in them and they seem to assist in my speed...in the winter. Summer, too bloody hot.

The Protective Franca Women's Performance Bib Shorts above, look interesting..