PDA

View Full Version : The passes are opened!

Gothard
06-01-2008, 10:53 AM
As of thursday, they started opening the mountain passes. Not all are, but most. The Grimsel is an easy enough ride, so we organised an excursion for me to ride, my wife and son to have a walk in the mountain.
We drove up a bit slowly, our new driver lacking practice.
Weather was perfect, slightly cloudy and not too warm. lower in the valley the humidity is high, but not up there.
Johnny Cash performed as usual, now with tubs (all back wheels!).
I am not in the best shape, but enough to ride at a good tempo and enjoy, not suffer. All in all about 40 miles.
The snow banks are melting really fast now, but they are still several meters high at places. Love the effect.

Then a nice picnic on the way down, and a quiet drive home. A good first mountain day.

Gothard
06-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Forgot the last one.
From Switzerland with love.

happycampyer
06-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Magnificent. Absolument magnifique. Well worth the wait, I am sure.

sokyroadie
06-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Fantastic pictures, but you can keep all that white stuff. I HATE snow!

Jeff

znfdl
06-01-2008, 11:10 AM
I have mountain envy.

Cute kid....

vaxn8r
06-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Where's all the traffic? ;)

I'm envious. Our best mountain route here typically opens in June or July but this year they won't open it until Saptember due to snow pack.

Great pics. You are a lucky man for a number of reasons.

rwsaunders
06-01-2008, 11:44 AM
What's the driving age in Switzerland? :cool:

Buzz
06-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks for sharing these with us.

Fixed
06-01-2008, 11:57 AM
bro life is good you look happy
enjoy cheers :beer:

pdbrye
06-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Great pics, great riding, great family...you are one lucky guy! :beer:

Kevan
06-01-2008, 01:42 PM
People shouldn't have to ride in those conditions.

Gothard
06-01-2008, 02:00 PM
A few more since you seem to like pictures.
There was an interesting difference between the side close to the snow that was cold, with a cool breeze and the side exposed to the sun that was noticeably warmer. I decided to keep the thin vest as I prefer to be slightly warm than slightly cold.
On top of the Grimsel is a small park with Marmots. My son loved looking at them, and declared them cute.
On the picnic, he also decided he had to have cola, to be like dad. So he had his first taste of a tiny sip. His reaction? "it stings!" wanted more though. He then proceded to show me his muscles.
He now sleeps...like a baby :)

LO^OK
06-01-2008, 02:11 PM
:) Ah Switzerland... a pure magic. Thank you for sharing the experience.

I remember two years ago in July there still was snow in the passes; not so much of course. Btw, the second pic is the same valley as in your 6th image but shot from the opposite side when descending from Furka Pass.

hansolo758
06-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Beautiful scenery. Kind of puts my pics of western WI to shame. Good on ya mate, I'm envious. Have a great summer of riding.

Karin Kirk
06-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Beautiful scenery. Kind of puts my pics of western WI to shame.

Not so! I have ridden in western WI and I was surprised just how lovely that countryside is. The roads are perfect too.

Gottard, wow! That looks like an amazing day, thanks for sharing. Those roads look intense. I had better get in shape so I can haul myself up them come September!

Is descending those passes scary?

jeffg
06-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Brings back good memories!

FMS_rider
06-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Wonderful photos as usual! I particularly enjoyed the pictures of your son --brought back some great memories.

I am going to ride some passes in the Alps for the first time this coming year and have been collecting your photos and route comments for ideas and inspiration.

Thanks,
Lew

cadence231
06-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Is that Arkansas?

Unreal you lucky duck!http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/cadence220/bowdown.gif

bironi
06-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Love the one of you and your son with tongues extended. :beer:

northbend
06-01-2008, 07:31 PM
wonderful photo's. I would love to climb on those roads

chuckred
06-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Kind of makes our Colorado roads look a bit light-weight!

In addition to the great kid, wife, scenery - I like the Yeti jacket!

Dekonick
06-02-2008, 12:07 AM
I wouldn't call independance pass a lightweight...

Man - the Alps are beautiful.

The Hors looks great - as usual.

Do you like the tubbies?

cadence90
06-02-2008, 02:14 AM
Amazing. Beautiful. All of it.

You're a lucky man.

Thanks for sharing!

Gothard
06-02-2008, 06:44 AM
I wouldn't call independance pass a lightweight...

Man - the Alps are beautiful.

The Hors looks great - as usual.

Do you like the tubbies?

Thanks. The Hors is a great bike, a pinnacle in its own right.
The tubs are great. They roll easier, are lighter, and they descend incredibly well. There is one caveat, though, braking. The heat generated by any constant braking for those longer descents will melt the glue. I circumvent that by using the Ceramic rims (thanks Ergott!), and by braking in short intense bursts, and using trail braking a bit more to relieve the front wheel.

Dekonick
06-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Melt the glue? Must be some derned hot rims.

Every time I see pics of Johnny Cash I think of how appropriate a frame you have for Switzerland.

Thanks for the pictures! Keep 'em coming.

Karin Kirk
09-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Is descending those passes scary?

Cool, I can answer my own question now... YES!

I am mid-vacation in the Alps with three glorious days of pass riding completed. I was lucky to have Gothard's fine company on two of the rides. I have oh so much to report, but I can't do so from the hotel lobby. But I am having fun looking through these old threads and seeing these now-familiar landscapes. Great stuff! :)

Nil Else
09-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Wow I'm envious... Have fun :beer:

rwsaunders
09-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Gothard, your car is too clean for having a kid. It must be a Swiss thing. :cool: