PDA

View Full Version : OT: Key West

rwsaunders
05-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Mrs. RW and I are thinking of taking 3 days in early October and heading to Key West. Has anyone had some good experiences with lodging? Any tips on the surrounds in general? Thanks

malcolm
05-31-2008, 11:48 PM
The wife and I go at least every couple of years. Key West is a love it or hate it kind of place. If you want to lay out on pristine beaches and do the resort thing, look else where. If you want to lay out by the pool, drink beer and be able to walk to all sorts of cool, casual resaurants and drink more beer it may be your place.

We have always stayed in some of the smaller hotels, our favorite is the Marquesa the Garden House is also nice. There is also a new resort type hotel that just opened or was just redone and looked nice (we were there ealier this month), I think it was a Hyatt. I can find out for sure if you are interested.

Our typical day consisted of getting up late and going to Sarabeth's for breakfast (pumpkin waffle, lemon ricotta pancakes and great omletes). Then sitting around the pool reading and swimming until lunch. Lunch everyday for us is at Half Shell Raw bar and consists of boiled shrimp, wahoo bites if they have em, if not what ever the fish dip is and beer. That usually takes 3-4 hours, then back for a nap. Wake up and repeat for dinner except at a nicer restaurant and usually wine in place of beer.

Half Shells is a must. Sit by the pier and you can watch the fish swim around while you eat. The biggest pink and green parrot fish you have ever seen and the occasional tarpon.

If you want specific restaurants PM me and I'll tell you what we have liked recently as well as over the years.

billrick
06-01-2008, 08:08 AM
And if you want isolation, take a seaplane out to Dry Tortugas National Park.

:)

Fixed
06-01-2008, 12:12 PM
bro there are a lot of things to do on all the keys john pennycamp is cool for getting wet ..fishing trips clear water ..I took my bike and rode every place that took 30 mins . . i took my fix mt.bike ..it goes everywhere ..have fun
cheers :beer: :beer: :beer:

ericspin
06-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Love it! I live in FL but we still love the keys and go often.

Check out the Heron House B&B, our all-time favorite and close to Duval St. where all the night time madness happens. We don't drink and we still have a blast. Some of the best people watching I've ever seen.

Concur on the Half Shell Raw Bar for lunch. Great atmosphere and make sure to check out the huge tarpon in the water around the commercial fishing boats just outside the restaurant.

Dinner..... DO NOT miss Blue Heaven.........unless live chickens make you squeamish. Our favorite spot and killer food.

Damn, makes me want to go.

sn69
06-01-2008, 12:55 PM
I was there in Jan for a week on business. Yes, business. Still had the chance to relax and let it all unwind. KW is about liesure. My recommendation is to rent a couple of beach cruisers for the trip and lazily enjoy pedalling around the place. The best bars are the ones that are off Duval, places like Raw, etc...most of which are attached to the marinas. Enjoy the live music, the great seafood, the people watching, etc....

The wife and I go at least every couple of years. Key West is a love it or hate it kind of place. If you want to lay out on pristine beaches and do the resort thing, look else where. If you want to lay out by the pool, drink beer and be able to walk to all sorts of cool, casual resaurants and drink more beer it may be your place.

We have always stayed in some of the smaller hotels, our favorite is the Marquesa the Garden House is also nice. There is also a new resort type hotel that just opened or was just redone and looked nice (we were there ealier this month), I think it was a Hyatt. I can find out for sure if you are interested.

Our typical day consisted of getting up late and going to Sarabeth's for breakfast (pumpkin waffle, lemon ricotta pancakes and great omletes). Then sitting around the pool reading and swimming until lunch. Lunch everyday for us is at Half Shell Raw bar and consists of boiled shrimp, wahoo bites if they have em, if not what ever the fish dip is and beer. That usually takes 3-4 hours, then back for a nap. Wake up and repeat for dinner except at a nicer restaurant and usually wine in place of beer.

Half Shells is a must. Sit by the pier and you can watch the fish swim around while you eat. The biggest pink and green parrot fish you have ever seen and the occasional tarpon.

If you want specific restaurants PM me and I'll tell you what we have liked recently as well as over the years.

Tom
06-01-2008, 01:30 PM
If you don't mind a place a little worn around the edges there is a great motel right on the corner of Duval and the main road in.

xjoex
06-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Mrs. RW and I are thinking of taking 3 days in early October and heading to Key West. Has anyone had some good experiences with lodging? Any tips on the surrounds in general? Thanks

Hey RW- I have spent a little bit of time in Key West, but mostly in Key Largo as we have a place there, but anyhow....

You should go sea kayaking either at Bahia Honda state park which is 30 miles outside of Key West, its just a cool beach too, once voted the best beach in the country. If you have a lot of time on your way down you have to try sea kayaking at John Pennekamp state park. Its cheap, and you get to kayak on trails through mangroves.

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/6543447-lg.jpg

-Joe