PDA

View Full Version : chorus ut cranks incompatible with cross frame?

alexzorba
05-31-2008, 07:22 PM
After collecting all the parts to build a steelman eurocross with a new chorus gruppo, I discovered that the compact ut crank hits the older style chainstay of the steelman. Does anyone know if there are other compact cranks that will work- Ritchey or Square taper campy???

Pete Serotta
05-31-2008, 07:26 PM
I have a Serotta Cross bike with UT CAMPY and it clears. I would suggest that you send a note to the builder and ask him what the folks are using. ANother option might be the TA compact. I know PETE WHITE still had some in stock.

Good luck.....Pete

alexzorba
05-31-2008, 07:43 PM
To clarify. It's an older steelman made from dedacciai steel. I assume that older alloy chorus stuff will fit...just wondering if I need to use that, or if an 06 record or chorus square taper will fit.

nicrump
05-31-2008, 07:47 PM
130 or 135 on the drops?

alexzorba
05-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Wow. I just checked out the TA specialties cranks...pretty cool. Anyone used these?

alexzorba
05-31-2008, 08:04 PM
130...but they flare out from the bottom bracket. I'm going to send brent an e-mail and see what his advice is.

stuckey
05-31-2008, 09:36 PM
Wow. I just checked out the TA specialties cranks...pretty cool. Anyone used these?

I just received a TA Carmina double but I have not used it yet. They are stunning in person and use a silver instead of a black spider with 94BCD. One bit of warning they are not cheap.
I think your problem may be the Q-factor of Campy cranks is a bit narrower than the others. The TAs Q-factor is plus 5mm or 6mm if I remember correctly.

alexzorba
05-31-2008, 11:31 PM
I would love to find one of the TA cranks. I managed to get a campy triple without the small ring to fit...but the drops are that wide, it looks almost suited for mountain cranks. Do you think the TA would work?

stuckey
06-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Wow, those are wide chainstays, I am not sure if a TA would work. I think the best option would be to call Peter White and ask about the TA cranks. He is more or less the most knowledgeable about them.

djg
06-01-2008, 08:17 AM
I guess I'd agree with the suggestion of sending the builder a note to ask about the constraints and what might or might not work. I've been running the older (2006) centaur compact on my Serotta cross frame, with no clearance issues, but that doesn't tell you what will work with your rear triangle -- good deals out there these days on the pre-UT stuff.

alexzorba
06-01-2008, 08:39 AM
I sent brent an e-mail. And i'll post when I get a reply. I bought the bike on craigslist and I feel like a may have been built to some unusual custom specs. Brent used to make two cross frames, a lighter eurocross and the cc, which was beefier, and more like a mountain bike. This bike seems too have the lighter eurocross tubes, zero uno, a fancy lug at the seatube, but the chainstays may be from the cc. ????

stuckey
06-01-2008, 11:14 AM
I guess I'd agree with the suggestion of sending the builder a note to ask about the constraints and what might or might not work. I've been running the older (2006) centaur compact on my Serotta cross frame, with no clearance issues, but that doesn't tell you what will work with your rear triangle -- good deals out there these days on the pre-UT stuff.

If UT will not work the old square taper will hit also. The reason being the Q-factor is exactly the same on both bottom bracket styles. Campy used that as one of there selling points when the new UT came out.

merckx
06-01-2008, 11:19 AM
The Q factor between the UT and square taper Campy cranks are supposed to be the same. However, I believe that the chainring bolts on the inside of the small chainring on the UT crank sit closer to the chainstay. Is this what is hitting the Chainstay, or is it the crankarm?

alexzorba
06-01-2008, 05:23 PM
I got a nice e-mail from brent today. The frame was designed for a mountain bike triple. I suppose I will stick with the modified campy triple. Should be an interesting build.

Nate

weiwentg
06-01-2008, 09:41 PM
I got a nice e-mail from brent today. The frame was designed for a mountain bike triple. I suppose I will stick with the modified campy triple. Should be an interesting build.

Nate

I'm surprised no one mentioned you could use a TA double crankset, and a longer BB. I think the Carmina double uses a 103mm JIS BB, and you could use a 108 or 110. or thereabouts.

stuckey
06-01-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned you could use a TA double crankset, and a longer BB. I think the Carmina double uses a 103mm JIS BB, and you could use a 108 or 110. or thereabouts.

The new version of the Carmina double uses a 107. They changed it without telling anyone about a year ago. But you are right a longer bottom bracket would work or a Phil and pushing it over a few mm's.

alexzorba
06-02-2008, 02:07 AM
Cool. Thanks for the help. I'll look into seeing if I can get a TA with a bottom bracket that will fit.