PDA

View Full Version : ID Deletion information

Pete Serotta
05-31-2008, 06:50 PM
A few folks have sent me notes requesting that their IDs be deleted. While I was able to do as requested, the posts within a thread stay and the poster ID is changer to guests (with ID below). There is no email, ip address, or any other personal information viewable, nor can the ID receive private messages - for the ID no longer exists.

If folks are looking to have their IDs deleted, I will be glad to honor the requests but please understand that the "record id" remains. This is not the persons name for those that have requested ID deletion to date, but keep in mind that a record keeps the ID name even when the person no longer has a active id.

Frank
05-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Why would folks want their ID deleted after they have participated and posted to the Forum for years? Sounds kind of like asking for an annulment of a marriage after 30 years and 4 kids...

rwsaunders
05-31-2008, 07:20 PM
Why would folks want their ID deleted after they have participated and posted to the Forum for years? Sounds kind of like asking for an annulment of a marriage after 30 years and 4 kids...

It's a conspiracy, Frank. Fingerprints and all..... :cool:

Frank
05-31-2008, 07:26 PM
there is no CSi Saratoga Springs anymore. I knew they were making a big mistake ;)

Lifelover
05-31-2008, 07:55 PM
If you want you can link all their old posts to my user ID!

I'll get my post count up in one quick swoop!

Louis
05-31-2008, 08:23 PM
A few folks have sent me notes requesting that their IDs be deleted. While I was able to do as requested, the posts within a thread stay and

This is ridiculous.

So not only are they mad, and they don't want to play anymore, they are taking their ball home, and they want all of their past interactions with the forum world to be expunged?

Folks, let's get real here. It's just a friggin Internet forum. It's not like it's THE ONLY THING IN THE UNIVERSE.

Louis

SoCalSteve
05-31-2008, 08:51 PM
This is ridiculous.

So not only are they mad, and they don't want to play anymore, they are taking their ball home, and they want all of their past interactions with the forum world to be expunged?

Folks, let's get real here. It's just a friggin Internet forum. It's not like it's THE ONLY THING IN THE UNIVERSE.
Louis

It's not? Please, please, please DO NOT burst my bubble!

Just sayin'

Steve

Kevan
05-31-2008, 08:57 PM
so who else can play shortstop?

duke
05-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Sounds like giant egos crashing down. Welcome to the real world.
duke

victoryfactory
06-01-2008, 06:28 AM
Pete;
Can I get all of my posts re-listed in bold type?
Or maybe double listed?

VF

Sandy
06-01-2008, 06:33 AM
How do you think I feel? Pete just told me that he has had hundreds of requests for my posts to be done in invisible ink. :)

Sandy

CNY rider
06-01-2008, 07:03 AM
This does seem like a rather extreme case of breath holding.....

bostondrunk
06-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Bye Swoop, hope it wasn't my comment about your awesome Seven that drove you away!

:rolleyes:

cadence90
06-01-2008, 07:14 AM
A few folks have sent me notes requesting that their IDs be deleted. While I was able to do as requested, the posts within a thread stay and the poster ID is changer to guests (with ID below). There is no email, ip address, or any other personal information viewable, nor can the ID receive private messages - for the ID no longer exists.

If folks are looking to have their IDs deleted, I will be glad to honor the requests but please understand that the "record id" remains. This is not the persons name for those that have requested ID deletion to date, but keep in mind that a record keeps the ID name even when the person no longer has a active id.
While I laud the communication here, it seems to me that of all the requests made to Pete (or any other mod), this one is truly the most ridiculous.

If members (or rather their Serotta board personae) are so concerned with their own "legacyocity" in the forum, why can't they themselves do the heavy lifting of deleting all their past posts, leaving Pete with the time to ponder such crucial mattters as whether it is in fact the zeitgesit or the gestalt that defines a "cyclist" from a "bike rider" and 2) to determine the residuals that Ben should dole out each year for such members' auspicious contributions?

cadence90
06-01-2008, 07:20 AM
so who else can play shortstop?
It's belt-cinching time.
Shortstop_slash_designated hitters need apply.

shinomaster
06-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Oh yay! I'm moved up in the rankings.. http://forums.thepaceline.net/memberlist.php?postslower=0&postsupper=0&ausername=&homepage=&icq=&aim=&yahoo=&msn=&joindateafter=&joindatebefore=&lastpostafter=&lastpostbefore=&order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=30&ltr=

brians647
06-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Oh yay! I'm moved up in the rankings.. http://forums.thepaceline.net/memberlist.php?postslower=0&postsupper=0&ausername=&homepage=&icq=&aim=&yahoo=&msn=&joindateafter=&joindatebefore=&lastpostafter=&lastpostbefore=&order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=30&ltr=

Cool! I didn't even know we had rankings!!! Now I have a tangible motivation to start posting more!

If only I had more knowledge to give... :o

shinomaster
06-01-2008, 12:45 PM
If you click on the members list and then posts, it sorts us out from most prolific posters to the least.

Louis
06-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Is there a way to sort them by "Most Useful, Intelligent, and Informative" ?

shinomaster
06-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Is there a way to sort them by "Most Useful, Intelligent, and Informative" ?

Throw darts at your screen.

csm
06-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I gotta say I haven't noticed much difference 'round here except for threads like this.... and I still read them!

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2008, 01:11 PM
. . . to assume who requested to be deleted, I think we should keep in mind that it could easily be someone who posted a lot--OR it could be one or more people who posted little and whom we don't even know. Just a thought . . . perhaps we should quit making assumptions and just move on?

BBD

Louis
06-01-2008, 01:19 PM
. . . to assume who requested to be deleted, I think we should keep in mind that it could easily be someone who posted a lot--OR it could be one or more people who posted little and whom we don't even know. Just a thought . . . perhaps we should quit making assumptions and just move on?

Dave,

One does not have to assume. If you open an old thread in which one of the "deletees" has posted you can tell by looking at the poster info.

Louis

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Dave,

One does not have to assume. If you open an old thread in which one of the "deletees" has posted you can tell by looking at the poster info.

Louis

Does it really matter at this point?

BBD

Pete Serotta
06-01-2008, 01:30 PM
No, lets honor the requests of the various folks and move on,

THANKS
:banana: :banana: BB DAVE :banana: :banana:

paczki
06-01-2008, 01:30 PM
BBDave is right. At least one person who publicly asked to be deleted -- JohnS if I'm not mistaken -- had nothing to do with this dust up.

thwart
06-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, for one, looks like we lost the Doof... :confused:

PBWrench
06-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Be careful out there!!

Charles M
06-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I say honor the requests but, as you have to take valuable time just to help folks try and gain closure, you do it along with banning the IP address...

And with that I'll say I miss a few folks that are probably making the requests, but if it's genuine, so be it.

chuckroast
06-01-2008, 05:39 PM
OK, who's the practical joker that just registered as Swoop? Clever...

Mud
06-01-2008, 05:42 PM
people actually read my posts and commented. Now that is being just desperate.

beungood
06-01-2008, 07:27 PM
i'm 5'8 I think that qualifies me for shortstop