PDA

View Full Version : Legend TR Custom 60-cm on eBay

rmsmith
05-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Hello All:

Any comments about these TR bikes?

It seems positioned between a full touring bike and a road bike, like a sportive bike. The rear wheel dropouts are sized for 130-mm, not 135-mm, and the chain stays are 42.5-cm rather than 45.5-cm. Maybe good for the credit card touring type?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260244988339

http://www.serotta.com/legendTR/index.html

Ahneida Ride
05-31-2008, 12:34 PM
My Legend is a RT or Rapid Tour ....

Serotta's version of a CC tourer without coupler .....

Let me assure you, that if the frame fits, you'l love this bike ....

Gothard
05-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Looks very sweet.
Serotta should bring back the CRT. I loved it, and never got to buying one. :crap:

rmsmith
05-31-2008, 01:47 PM
My Legend is a RT or Rapid Tour ....

Serotta's version of a CC tourer without coupler .....

Let me assure you, that if the frame fits, you'l love this bike ....

The bottom bracket drop is 7.3-cm on this TR, and I'd really prefer an 8.0-cm drop, but I guess 'ya don't get everything unless you buy custom fit, but I'm also supporting a family on my one income too. I didn't see any panier rack mounts either, but I suppose they can be added at the factory during the winter.

BTW, I've been riding Litespeeds; this would be my first Serotta.

Ahneida Ride
05-31-2008, 04:12 PM
The bottom bracket drop is 7.3-cm on this TR, and I'd really prefer an 8.0-cm drop, but I guess 'ya don't get everything unless you buy custom fit, but I'm also supporting a family on my one income too. I didn't see any panier rack mounts either, but I suppose they can be added at the factory during the winter.

BTW, I've been riding Litespeeds; this would be my first Seotta.

I have the rack mounts .... and a pump peg !
Serotta installed the mounts with a flair for asthetics. Nice Job !
I suspect they can be added rather easily in the off season.
I'd give Serotta a call and investigate just a bit.

You are in for a real treat. Serotta's are amazing.
I demoed a Blue Ridge ...... No Comparison ....

If you want it all. well one must go custom new.

93legendti
05-31-2008, 05:24 PM
iirc, TR is Serotta's designation for a travel/coupled bike. RT is for Rapid Tour. The bike in question could be a TR RT - a coupled Rapid Tour, but the designation of TR means it is the new Uniscasi.

rmsmith
11-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Well, I closed on the frame auction. Here is a shot of my 2008 Legend TR ready for a Pacific Northwest winter. I've got about 1,300-miles on it. The wheels are DT Swiss 340 / TK-7.1 rims, both 32-spokes. The tires are Continental 4 Season 28-mm folding style. The carbon fork is an IRD 57 Mosaic with aluminum steerer, the brakes are Shimano Ultegra long reach 57-mm, and the rest of the components are Dura Ace. The black leather saddle is a Brooks B17 titanium. I removed the computer for the winter.

Ken Robb
11-10-2008, 10:14 AM
I must have been sleeping when this auction came up. Nice bike--and comfy too.

rmsmith
11-10-2008, 07:52 PM
I must have been sleeping when this auction came up. Nice bike--and comfy too.

The auction was only for the frame and an Alpha Q CS-25 fork, which is designed for long reach brakes. It took a bid of $3k to win it, easily the most I've ever dropped for a frame. However, it is one of the nicest riding and most comfortable bicycles that I've ever owned.

I spent too many years on racing bikes when I really should have been on a sportive bike. I like to ride quiet rural roads, and "problem-solve" while staying fit and enjoying our interesting geography.

Ken Robb
11-10-2008, 08:08 PM
I like bikes that allow chubby tires and the best-riding bike I ever owned that only took skinny tires was my stock 60cm. Legend so I have no doubt I would love your bike. My Strada Bianca has an Alpha-Q for canti brakes and it's really fine.

rmsmith
11-11-2008, 02:00 AM
I like bikes that allow chubby tires and the best-riding bike I ever owned that only took skinny tires was my stock 60cm. Legend so I have no doubt I would love your bike. My Strada Bianca has an Alpha-Q for canti brakes and it's really fine.

The Continental 28-mm tires provide all-day comfort on fresh chip-seal. The IRD 57 Mosaic fork has more room for fenders; the wide Planet Bike Cascadia Touring fenders slip right in there. The Shimano long reach calipers also provide plenty of fender clearence, and I bought some of those Sheldon Brown extended brake barrel nuts that allow fender attachment from behind without removing the calipers; too bad they're not made of stainless steel. This is my first frame with a 72-degree seat tube angle, so I no longer need a setback seat post.

Ken Robb
11-11-2008, 09:34 AM
I use Ultragatorskins in 700x25 and 700x28 too. I like Rivendell Ruffy-Tuffy even a little better.

chakatrain
11-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Nice rig and set up!

For kicks, I picked up a pair of Specialized Aramadillo 35mm tires for the cyclocross turned commuter bike, replacing the worn Continental Ultra 2000 28mm. While the armadillos are heavy beasts, to my surprise, they allow up to 100psi, and have a very smooth, fast rolling sensation on the road. I've been using it to cruise around the streets of San Francisco and having a blast.

Ride the hell out of that thing!