PDA

View Full Version : Dura Ace Compact? and Hybrid question?

Satellite
05-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Dura Ace Compact:
Does anybody know if D/A is planning on releasing a Double Compact Crank? I am NOT a weight weenie but with the market being occupied with other highend choices for Compact Cranks I am wondering if Shimano is going to offer something lighter than the Ultegra Compact at 710g.

I have been looking at the FSA K-Force Cranks but I would like to keep my D/A 10sp complete. I already run a 27tooth rear cassette but in the mountains of Colorado I don't need the offering of the 53t top chainring and could use lower 34t of the Compact.

Hybrid:
Also does anybody know if I can convert my wifes road bike to an XTR rear cassette with XTR rear derailleur (to take up chain wrap) and still use the existing D/A 9sp Road Shifters? Is the cable indexing shift ratio the same for Shimano Road Shifter and Mountain Shifters? She really needs to gear down but I dread going to a triple for her; she has enough trouble with two gear selections. If I go triple for her I will use the entire Mountain shifting system.

Thanks for any replies and sorry if this has been discussed else where on the forum.

Best Regards,

Satellite

Louis
05-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Also does anybody know if I can convert my wifes road bike to an XTR rear cassette with XTR rear derailleur (to take up chain wrap) and still use the existing D/A 9sp Road Shifters? Is the cable indexing shift ratio the same for Shimano Road Shifter and Mountain Shifters?

Yes, Shimano MTB indexed rear-der (XT or XTR) work fine with DA 9-spd shifters. One of my road bikes uses that very set-up with an MTB cassette.

dvs cycles
05-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Dura Ace Compact:
Does anybody know if D/A is planning on releasing a Double Compact Crank? II read reports that the new 7900 group coming out this fall will include a D/A compact crank. Look up post on the new group and you should find what I've read.

CNY rider
05-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Yes, Shimano MTB indexed rear-der (XT or XTR) work fine with DA 9-spd shifters. One of my road bikes uses that very set-up with an MTB cassette.

Agreed. That's the set-up I have on my cross bike and I think it may be an ideal solution for the original poster.

Or in terms of the triple: Can't you convince her that it's a double with a bail out option for the really steep stuff?

Satellite
05-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Or in terms of the triple: Can't you convince her that it's a double with a bail out option for the really steep stuff?

Thanks all for the quick replies.

CNY Rider,

She isn't the one that needs convinced. I don't want to convert her bike over to a triple and buy new road shifters and derailleurs for the front on a triple setup. I do have extra full mountain bike controls handle bars, shifters and derailleur’s I could switch over for minimal cost. I dread switching out handle bars; I hate making changes to handle bars especially road bars with tape and stems (unless open faced).

Her road bike is a Moots VaMoots YBB and 650B wheels front D/A break rear XTR V break with problem solver reducer. I think if I can put a 12/30 XTR Cassette and a Compact 34/50 with the smaller wheels she will be in good shape. I will make the front half of her bike Road D/A and the entire rear of the bike Mountain XTR. She rides her road bike very seldom so it’s hard to spend a lot of money on it. No corners are cut for her Mountain Bike but her road bike is a dust magnet.

Good news on the D/A Compact Crank I guess I will play the waiting game for now.

Satellite