PDA

View Full Version : OT: Giro -- Spoiler

paczki
05-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Falco! Diluca! Crazy Tinkoff rider! Who can ask for more!

Elefantino
05-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Every time I think I'm out, [the Giro pulls] me back in.

Volant
05-30-2008, 10:36 AM
4 secs! Ricco and DiLuca added a little excitement to today's stage. Contador keeps pink, however.

Climb01742
05-30-2008, 10:39 AM
this is amazing. my god, imagine tomorrow's stage. and even sunday, if the gaps stay this close. if only the steephill.tv feeds didn't drop out every two seconds. :crap:

Volant
05-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Contador has proven he's stronger in the TT's, so tomorrow is the make/break for "the Cobra" and Di Luca. IF they can gain some more time (like today), Sunday is not to be missed!

paczki
05-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Cobra looked really strong. We'll have to see who turned themselves a little too far inside out. We'll find out tomorrow! And then the race of truth. :banana:

Avispa
05-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Every time I think I'm out, [the Giro pulls] me back in.

Yeah, doping or not, the Giro is a great race to watch! Always much more exciting than the Tout, IMO!

I have not seen today's stage, but it sounds great by what I've read... Tomorrow shall prove as cool....

I hope them Italians kick Contador's arse! ;) I mean, Spanish blood runs through my veins, but Italy is for Italians!!! :D

..A..

jeffg
05-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Yeah, doping or not, the Giro is a great race to watch! Always much more exciting than the Tout, IMO!

I have not seen today's stage, but it sounds great by what I've read... Tomorrow shall prove as cool....

I hope them Italian kick Contador's arse! ;) I mean, Spanish blood runs through my veins, but Italy is for Italians!!! :D

..A..

It's going to be tough to beat Contador.

The only real hope is for DiLuca and Ricco to work together ( or one of the them perhaps with Simoni, who is now out of it for the overall).

They need to distance Contador on the Mortirolo (and ideally isolate him on the Gavia). Then a break of 2-3 can stay away to the finish ...

I Want Sachs?
05-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Velonews reported Ricco was cursing and angry at Selle and others for "helping" Contador. I think it is unsportsman-like to blame others when all are in this race to do well for themselves and their team. No one owe it to Ricco.

I was rooting for Ricco, but that behavior has dampen my support for him.

I am very excited about the drama that could unfold over the next few days.

jeffg
05-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Velonews reported Ricco was cursing and angry at Selle and others for "helping" Contador. I think it is unsportsman-like to blame others when all are in this race to do well for themselves and their team. No one owe it to Ricco.

I was rooting for Ricco, but that behavior has dampen my support for him.

I am very excited about the drama that could unfold over the next few days.

Ricco is a punk, but I like him. He said earlier in the Giro he did not need friends in the peoloton, and now he is seeing the consequences of his attitude, I would say.

Of course everyone races to win and not (only) for national pride, but his attitude will only sharpen this tendency. Perhaps he and his old mate Simoni will forge an alliance ...

I Want Sachs?
05-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Ricco is a punk, but I like him. He said earlier in the Giro he did not need friends in the peoloton, and now he is seeing the consequences of his attitude, I would say....
I am surprised someone so young has so much ego already. In baseball, most players were rooting for Cal Ripken to break the iron man record because he is a competitive, but nice guy, whereas Barry Bonds was the opposite.

It pays to respect others.

Climb01742
05-30-2008, 05:24 PM
diluca showed guts today. he laid it on the line, and tried to_win_versus just trying not to lose. the giro, year after year, is about trying to win, while sadly, the tour seems to be more about trying not to lose, or just trying to place top 10 or 20.

paczki
05-30-2008, 05:29 PM
And Salvodelli -- my favorite rider -- was the man. He and Klöden ground themselves to nubs working for others.

Lots of great riders have been tantrum throwing egomaniacs when young. I like his fire, even if he is a jerk!

Avispa
05-30-2008, 07:16 PM

Wait.... Was it Sella or the freaking Sram Red (http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/giro08/index.php?id=/photos/2008/giro08/giro0819/bettiniphoto_0028053_1_full) that didn't shift out of the 39th ring? :eek: :eek: :D

..A..

cadence90
05-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Sella, not Ricco', was the punk today. What was he doing?

I love Di Luca (and Ricco') pushing if with all they've got, and I hope hope Di Luca takes the Rosa.

If the Kid does win it, then that Austin brew really is something special.
Pretty cute to come over, say I'm so surprised to be invited, I'm in terrible shape, etc. etc. and then beat guys who work their entire life/season just for these three weeks.... :rolleyes:

My dream scenario is Di Luca takes Rosa tomorrow and he and Simoni smack Conti all over the Mortirolo, Gavia and back..... :cool:

paczki
05-31-2008, 08:09 AM
Kloden has abandoned.

sellsworth
05-31-2008, 12:37 PM
My dream scenario is Di Luca takes Rosa tomorrow and he and Simoni smack Conti all over the Mortirolo, Gavia and back..... :cool:

Well, it didn't exactly go along the lines of your dream scenario. Di Luca had a major visit from Mr. Bonkers!

The tt will be great to watch tomorrow. Ricco will obviously turn himself inside out to win. I bet he starts fast and fades at about 20 k.

harlond
06-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Sella, not Ricco', was the punk today. What was he doing?Why do you say this?

cadence90
06-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Because I think Ricco' was right when he asked, "What was Sella doing; trying to win the Giro with a 53 second deficit?" He put himself from GC contender/spoiler to stage winner - not bad (3 stages) but they had Contador on the ropes and that lack of teamwork gave Contador a better chance than he deserved as well as possibly cost Sella in future years. Di Luca, Simoni, Ricco', Pelizzotti, etc. cannot have been happy with his tactics, and they will remember.
Yes, it is a race; but it is also a stage race....

harlond
06-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Because I think Ricco' was right when he asked, "What was Sella doing; trying to win the Giro with a 53 second deficit?" He put himself from GC contender/spoiler to stage winner - not bad (3 stages) but they had Contador on the ropes and that lack of teamwork gave Contador a better chance than he deserved as well as possibly cost Sella in future years. Di Luca, Simoni, Ricco', Pelizzotti, etc. cannot have been happy with his tactics, and they will remember.
Yes, it is a race; but it is also a stage race....Not sure I understand, Sella is not Ricco's teammate (or Contador's). I don't see why he shouldn't race for himself, and racing for yourself sometimes means not surrendering time to others, even if that helps other people. He has gotten himself into 5th spot on GC, and that kind of result can have some nice benefits come contract time. Who knows, maybe Sella did it precisely because Ricco is such a twerp, and what other riders will remember is that Sella stuck it to the twerp. I could see Ricco having a small point if Sella weren't himself a contender for the podium (an example of this might be the guys, not his teammates, that helped Savoldelli some years ago), but for Ricco to complain that a contender like Sella rode hard behind him--well, I don't see it.

cadence90
06-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Not sure I understand, Sella is not Ricco's teammate (or Contador's). I don't see why he shouldn't race for himself, and racing for yourself sometimes means not surrendering time to others, even if that helps other people. He has gotten himself into 5th spot on GC, and that kind of result can have some nice benefits come contract time. Who knows, maybe Sella did it precisely because Ricco is such a twerp, and what other riders will remember is that Sella stuck it to the twerp. I could see Ricco having a small point if Sella weren't himself a contender for the podium (an example of this might be the guys, not his teammates, that helped Savoldelli some years ago), but for Ricco to complain that a contender like Sella rode hard behind him--well, I don't see it.
He should race for himself, of course, but at his age he needs to learn the art of forging alliances. He (Ricco') is the spitting image of Simoni: in great years he does it alone and angry, but leaves much to be desired in other years. This was his year, I think.

I wonder who helped his contract more this year: Ricco' (although losing Piepoli definitely hurt) or Sella....Great race eithere way. I would have liked a Di Luca repeat, and last hurrah for Savoldelli.