PDA

View Full Version : Question for Wrenches?

mgm777
05-30-2008, 09:58 AM
The patient:
ti Seven Axiom
Crank: Shimano Compact
Wheelset: Velomax Orion II 4+ years old, 13K+

Symtoms:
A repetitive metallic click with each pedal stroke -- only when climbing, only when pedalling. In other words - on the flats or descending or when not pedalling, there is no click. Only occurs under load when climbing.

Self diagnosis: Wheelset problem or Bottom Bracket? What do you think?

Treatment??????

Thank you all in advance.

runtimmyc
05-30-2008, 10:00 AM
sounds like a pedal problem or a cleat problem

mgm777
05-30-2008, 10:12 AM
I thought of that, but I use the same shoes on my #2 bike and cannot duplicate the sound. Thanks.

handsomerob
05-30-2008, 10:14 AM
The patient:
ti Seven Axiom

Symtoms:
A repetitive metallic click with each pedal stroke -- only when climbing, only when pedalling. In other words - on the flats or descending or when not pedalling, there is no click. Only occurs under load when climbing.

Treatment??????

check to make sure your crank arm isn't just barely hitting the FD cage.

barry1021
05-30-2008, 10:18 AM
The patient:
ti Seven Axiom

Symtoms:

Treatment??????

check proper torque on crank arms and if that's OK, take out bottom bracket, clean and reinstall everything to proper torque.

handsomerob
05-30-2008, 10:40 AM

couple other things....

check to make sure your chain ring(s) isn't bent and causing the chain to hit the FD cage.

Also, consider that the click is occurring not just with a pedal stroke, but under a heavier load. I would also remove and clean/wipe down your stem and spacers just to make sure the clicking isn't in the headset area.

Is there any specific gear combos that this is(or definitely is not) occurring in?

frenk
05-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Also try grabbing hard two adjacent rear wheel spokes, if they do the same 'click' you hear you've found the cause.

I had the same thing, after some kms a spoke broke, replaced it and no more click :banana:

Another thing to check: remove pedals, grease the threads, reinstall.

mgm777
05-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Good suggestion. I am going to remove, clean, and reinstall the Crank/BB assembly today. I'll let you know if it fixes the problem. Thank you.

barry1021
05-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Good suggestion. I am going to remove, clean, and reinstall the Crank/BB assembly today. I'll let you know if it fixes the problem. Thank you.
I would check the torque on the crank arms first. I have had the same problem, only under load, and that's what it was. It's amazing how temp changes can cause things to loosen up' over time.....

b21

Kevan
05-30-2008, 11:28 AM
let us know.

Mikej
05-30-2008, 11:57 AM
TRI FLO THE FRONT DERAILUER CLAMP / CHECK / UNLOOSEN / RETIGHTEN. Always a fix on my Ti bike click.

Fixed
05-30-2008, 12:02 PM
check it out bro
cheers

mgm777
05-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks Fixed and others. All great suggestions. I'll let you this afternoon how it turns out. I appreciate all the advice. Thanks again.

David Kirk
05-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Both standing and sitting?

Try riding in sneakers to eliminate cleat noises.

Dave

92degrees
05-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Smarter men than me here...but when I get that clicking noise when climbing it's my headset.

regularguy412
05-30-2008, 01:16 PM
I've been chasing an intermittent click when pedaling. Only when pushing down on the right side. Strangely, never happened when standing,, so I thot it was the saddle/seat post. I took everything apart in the BB/crank arm area late last fall and lubed all the interfaces. Took the seat off, seatpost out, the seat clamp apart and lubed all the interfaces there, too. Still had the click. It was not on _EVERY_ pedal stroke, but usually did it 2 or 3 strokes in a row and then silent for 2 or 3. I finally went _BACK_ thru the chainring bolts and tightened the bejeezus out of 'em. I 'did' find one that turned about 1/12 of a round.

No more clicky. The bike is as silent now as new.

All the other posted suggestions are likely candidates, as well. I relate this story just to emphasize the fact that you may 'think' you have things lubed and torqued properly, but occasionally you miss getting one part 'just right'.

This stuff will drive ya crazy when you're out on a long ride with only the wind and bike noise to notice.

Mike in AR:beer:

DonH
05-30-2008, 01:31 PM

That exactly what happened to my bike a few weeks ago. It was driving me nuts.

Kane
05-30-2008, 01:46 PM
owns a shop in Santa Barbara. His first name is Dave. I brought my Ti bike into his shop and told him my bike noise problem.

He puts the bike on his stand and pulls a Park allen tool out of his pocket . . .
5 minutes tops. He re-torqued every bolt on the bike. Ta Da!! No click.

The reference to in the seat and out of the seat pedaling is a good tip. Just to say that you did set the torque on the seat rails. If you haven't done it in five years go buy some anti seize goup and re-due your seat post if it is Ti/Al.

You did not mention whether you have checked the bearings on your pedals.
My first guess is the seat rails, than pedal bearing, chain ring bolt and lastly wheel.

The winner is . . . . . .

DRZRM
05-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Had the same thing on an old Ti Legend, turned out to be a lose drop out in the front fork. I did everything, switched wheels, removed and reinstalled BB, HS, cranks, I was nearly driven into a rage. Finally someone here suggested the fork dropout, (F-1 Fork), which I though was crazy, because I was sure the sound was from the BB (only weighted the front enough when I stood). Had to switch to a Wound Up.

Good luck, let us know who found it.

Dekonick
05-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Had the same thing on an old Ti Legend, turned out to be a lose drop out in the front fork. I did everything, switched wheels, removed and reinstalled BB, HS, cranks, I was nearly driven into a rage. Finally someone here suggested the fork dropout, (F-1 Fork), which I though was crazy, because I was sure the sound was from the BB (only weighted the front enough when I stood). Had to switch to a Wound Up.

Serotta almost certainly would have warrantied the F1 fork.

eddief
05-30-2008, 08:36 PM
i went through what you describe.

for me it was definitely loose spokes.

i thought for sure crank, pedals, or stem.

not!

loose spokes. maybe front maybe rear.

Fixed
05-30-2008, 08:44 PM

bro that has happened to me 2 times once on an f1
I never had that happen with a steel fork
cheers

mgm777
05-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Thank you everyone for the great advice and suggestions. A special thanks to Barry1021 for being the first to suggest a BB/Crank removal and reinstall. That is exactly what I had done today. Problem solved. No more clicking. Have a terrific weekend. Thank you. :banana:

barry1021
05-31-2008, 04:59 AM
Thank you everyone for the great advice and suggestions. A special thanks to Barry1021 for being the first to suggest a BB/Crank removal and reinstall. That is exactly what I had done today. Problem solved. No more clicking. Have a terrific weekend. Thank you. :banana:

I win a new Kirk?? Oh well, heading out the door on my Serotta Kirk, that will have to do!!!!

b21