a novice cyclist's view of what is about to happen to him:

http://theclimb.blogs.nytimes.com/

Acotts
05-30-2008, 12:40 PM
The Cervelo video of L'Etape is pretty funny

http://www.cervelo.tv/player.aspx?m=2&a=17

FlaRider
05-30-2008, 02:23 PM
I rode L'Etape du Tour three years ago. It was a stage in the Pyrenees and included 4 mountain climbs, including Marie-Blanque (18% grade near the top) and Col d'Aubisque. It was by far the toughest day I have ever had an a bike but an absolutely amazing, epic experience. I highly recommend L'Etape.

fiamme red
06-17-2008, 08:56 PM
http://sittingin.bicycling.com/2008/06/how-embarrassin.html

The neatest feature at the TriBeCa Cadence is a miniature Italian furnace in the lobby, placed there as a complimentary, value-added service so that clients who are dissatisfied because they were physically unable to spend enough on bikes and gear can throw the rest of their money into the flames and watch it burn...

But at this point in our sport’s evolution, everyone knows that if you want to have a really fun, once-in-a-lifetime experience you have to change everything about the way you ride and find someone who will tell you what to do every second you’re in the saddle.

ericspin
06-18-2008, 04:57 AM
I rode L'Etape du Tour three years ago. It was a stage in the Pyrenees and included 4 mountain climbs, including Marie-Blanque (18% grade near the top) and Col d'Aubisque. It was by far the toughest day I have ever had an a bike but an absolutely amazing, epic experience. I highly recommend L'Etape.

Out of curiosity, what bike did you ride?

ClutchCargo
06-18-2008, 12:32 PM
a novice cyclist's view of what is about to happen to him:

the bikesnobnyc takedown : :bike:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008/06/its-not-about-riding-cycling-blogging.html

:D

goonster
06-18-2008, 12:44 PM
It hurts to read that.

He needs Gerard Vroomen to tell him to from a 12-27 to a (gasp!) 11-28 cassette. :rolleyes:

He thinks the Central Park loop contains a "hill". :rolleyes:

He agonizes about saddle-induced impotence. :rolleyes:

He solicits diet advice from Stuart Stevens. :rolleyes:

Surprisingly, Stevens' advice does not start with "schedule an appointment with this physician . . . " :banana:

false_Aest
06-18-2008, 02:43 PM
How much do you think this dude has spent on getting semi-prepared for this adventure?

Bike 5k
Trip 3k?
Clothing 1k?
Coaching 2k?

11k? More?

FlaRider
06-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Out of curiosity, what bike did you ride?

IF Ti Crown Jewel.

gdw
06-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Do you think the twit knows how to deal with a flat or minor mechanical?

39cross
06-19-2008, 07:12 AM
My guess is he really does not know what's in store for him, which is probably just as well. If he was 31 instead of 41 I'd say he would make it on youth; I thnk if he makes it, it will be a wonderful spectacle ala watching NASCAR and waiting for cars to hit walls and burn.

fiamme red
07-07-2008, 02:21 PM

He did it.

gdw
07-07-2008, 02:36 PM
How many dollars per mile did it cost him? I'd bet over $125.

Louis
07-07-2008, 02:37 PM
How many dollars per mile did it cost him? I'd bet over $125.

So, your point is? :)

rsl
07-07-2008, 02:38 PM
I say good for him! I hope he keeps riding too!

I did find Bikesnob's lambasting pretty funny, however, but since he's on vacation I guess we'll have to wait to get his final comments on the endeavor.

TriJim
07-07-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm just back from Lourdes and the Etape. What an amazing day, with 7500 new friends. It was cold and rained from beginning to end. 103 miles and almost 11,000 feet of climbing. Tough climbs. Foggy on Tourmalet and Hautacam. I'll post more with some pics when I get home from work this evening. :beer:

Simon Q
07-08-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm just back from Lourdes and the Etape. What an amazing day, with 7500 new friends. It was cold and rained from beginning to end. 103 miles and almost 11,000 feet of climbing. Tough climbs. Foggy on Tourmalet and Hautacam. I'll post more with some pics when I get home from work this evening. :beer:

I am envious and look forward to the report.

I did the 2004 and 2005 editions when based in the UK and loved them. Closed roads with marshalls/gendarmes (especially fun on decsents), crowds cheering, knowing that shortly the best riders in the world will tackle exactly the same course. Hard to beat.

TriJim
07-09-2008, 12:05 PM
I am envious and look forward to the report.

I did the 2004 and 2005 editions when based in the UK and loved them. Closed roads with marshalls/gendarmes (especially fun on decsents), crowds cheering, knowing that shortly the best riders in the world will tackle exactly the same course. Hard to beat.
Definitely a fun day.

Waiting in the start area; we cheered as the rain came down harder. The 60 miles to the Tourmalet passed quickly and then the climb was harder than I expected; harder than the Gavia Pass 2 weeks ago. The fog on the mountain traded breath-taking views for breath-holding descents. We flew through the rocky gorge on the way to Hautacam where I expected another tough climb, but balancing effort and heart rate proved the key to a successful ascent.

Other keys to success; good equipment (bike and cycling clothes), hill training, and a hydration/nutrition plan.

Pics include the route map, profile, starting descent of Tourmalet (note the thick fog), and climbing Hautacam. Better cycling pics when I receive files from the official photog. Every serious cyclist should have the Etape on their cycling "Bucket List." Enjoy. :beer:

39cross
07-09-2008, 01:05 PM
I say good for him! I hope he keeps riding too!

I did find Bikesnob's lambasting pretty funny, however, but since he's on vacation I guess we'll have to wait to get his final comments on the endeavor.Gotta give him credit for getting it done - congrats to him, TriJim and all the rest from the armchair L’Ėtape riders!