View Full Version : lock down

Fixed
05-29-2008, 06:26 PM
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

this cat was wise his wisdom lives on
cheers imho :beer:

flickwet
05-29-2008, 09:16 PM
fixed, I love all the stuff he contributed.

rounder
05-29-2008, 09:22 PM
I went to a bike swap a couple of months ago right after sheldon brown died. A guy at one of the booths was wearing an obviously fake beard. I asked...sheldon brown?? He said yeah man. He was in sympathy.

shinomaster
05-29-2008, 09:26 PM
My brother and I both had bikes stolen while locked with a thick krypto cable.

fiamme red
05-29-2008, 09:29 PM
My brother and I both had bikes stolen while locked with a thick krypto cable.Cables are pretty easily cut, and should only be used for securing a wheel, not the whole bike.

I'm a little skeptical of Sheldon Brown's technique of putting the lock through the rear wheel only, not the frame: what if a thief detensions the wheel and cuts through the rim?

paczki
05-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Cables are pretty easily cut, and should only be used for securing a wheel, not the whole bike.

I'm a little skeptical of Sheldon Brown's technique of putting the lock through the rear wheel only, not the frame: what if a thief detensions the wheel and cuts through the rim?

Don't you think a thief would be far, far more likely to steal another bike before bothering to do that?

fiamme red
05-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Don't you think a thief would be far, far more likely to steal another bike before bothering to do that?You're right. I'd still rather have the lock go through the frame too. But Kryptonite's NYC U-lock is too small to pass through both frame and rear wheel and also around a signpost, so Sheldon's technique is probably the only choice there.