PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar Build Up

keno
10-01-2004, 06:12 AM
I have Deda 285 bars on my Spectrum, in part because of geometry and in part aethetics -they have a silver finish, which is hard to find in a similar geometry. The one problem I have with the bars is that the angle from the tops down to the shifters is too great and, as a result, there is less support for my hands than I want when on the hoods. BTW, these bars represent the best compromise solution to all of the aspects of my desires of the bars out there that I could find.

I know some folks will build up this area with layers of bar tape cut to shape and size in order to create the correct feel and then do the actual taping over it all. Are there any kits out there with pre-cut pieces or other methods you are aware of? I would also consider custom bars, if they exist, depending upon price.

Thanks,

keno

christian
10-01-2004, 06:49 AM
Hi Keno,

No real answer to the question about using tape, but based on your post, I assume one of your specific bar criteria is having "ergo" drops.

If it isn't, I would strongly recommend the Nitto Noodle (Mod. 177). It has a 15 degree, rather than the more common 24-25 degree ramp. It makes riding on the ramps and hoods especially comfortable.

Cheers,
- Christian

keno
10-01-2004, 07:05 AM
I have tried both Noodles and Dreams and did not like either of them for other reasons.

keno

Too Tall
10-01-2004, 07:17 AM
Keno, Tell me if the bottom tip of your brake lever is parallel to the bottom of the bars? Use a straight edge held against the bottom of the bar. The st. edge should touch both the bar and brake levers. If that's correct than is the lower portion of the bar angled at a-boot 10-12 degrees? Now where are those hoods? Will that work or is that too much comprimise regards losing horizontal drops?

keno
10-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Tom Kellogg set the bars and shifters up for me on Wednesday, trying several positions and then sitting there watching me pedal on his trainer to assess them. The best overall result is what I've got, the drop off being what's left.

keno

OldDog
10-01-2004, 08:28 AM
Keno,

I built up a bike last winter using the 3T "Forma" bars. Silver with anotomic drops. I love this bar as the Chorus hoods are flat with the curve from the top providing a very comforatable area. They are still available. I used these bars on my wife's 2000 custom Spectrum, with Ultegra hoods, not the same level position as with an Ergo lever.

Too Tall
10-01-2004, 08:32 AM
(in the voice of Curly) Why certainly! I've have a pile of 2mm wet suit material I've used for that sort of thing. Compresses nicely under tape yet feels solid once in place. If you are very nice, you are, I'll send you enough for the job. Just PM a snail mail address.

Richard
10-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Pieces of tire work well, too. Very solid.

BumpyintheBurgh
10-01-2004, 08:54 AM
Check out Aztec Vibe Wrap and Specialized Bar Phat.
Both are pre-cut ergonomic bar-padding systems for hoods and drops.

vaxn8r
10-01-2004, 12:33 PM
I was thinking Bar Phat too. It comes in full length and half length--to hoods only. I doubt you could cut this stuff up for customizing because I think it's gel.

I'll try to find a pic of 285's because I can't quite visualize your problem.

alembical
10-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Like Richard said, tire pieces work well....

quote from Velonews (http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/7026.0.html) re: Iban Mayo's superlight bike for l'Alpe d'Huez: "But I was intrigued by the odd shape of the brake hoods on his Dura-Ace 10-speed levers. Peeling back the tape reveals a wad of four layers of pieces of tire tread taped together with black electrical tape. These fatten up the lever and eliminate much of the scoop shape on top. It makes it feel much more like a Campy lever body."
http://images.velonews.com/images/report/7026.9410.t.jpg

Alembical

zap
10-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Appears this year a number of Pro's who switched to Shimano have taken to modifying shifters and cable routing to emulate Campagnolo.

Keno, you should give those tire bits a try as pictured in the above post. Nothing to lose but some peaceful engineering time :)

keno
10-03-2004, 04:24 PM
thanks very much. When I resurface from my underground workshop, I'll let you know what I came up with.

keno