PDA

View Full Version : Commuting and a gearing flashback

kgreene10
05-29-2008, 11:57 AM
I just got my commuter together -- a flat black Colnago Super mated to my old 1985 Allez parts. (The frame and the build kit quarreled for a while, but they worked it out with Esperanto.)

The ride is steely sublime or sublimely steely-- comforting anyway. I especially like staring at the fully chromed fork until I realize that I'm commuting in absolutely deathly traffic with giant beasty Hummers and blood thirsty drivers just aching to mount my head on their den wall. I sort of get into the bobbing and weaving around traffic like I did when I was a teenager, but of course, I was invincible then and not so much now.

Anyway, gearing is the main reason for this post. Classic gearing to be exact. The commuter has a 42/52 and an 11/23. In fact, if I remember correctly, this was wussy classic gearing back in the day. And I grew up at the base of a mountain. Somehow, we would ride up that mountain with this set-up and I never thought anything of it.

Now, on my way home, I manage to get in a short hill that might be 6% or so. I mean, it's big enough to make your average commuter cringe and make the fixie kids ride around, but it's also the kind of thing that I spin up and over without a moment's thought on my Fierte. OH MAN, what a pain it is on the commuter. Okay, the commuter is heavier by a long shot and I am carrying a 10-20 lb backpack depending on the day, but geez. I can't believe how hard it is for me to get over this thing with the classic gearing. How did we ever do it back then?

Mike748
05-29-2008, 02:06 PM
I still have the Tange CroMo Miyata I rode up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway 25 years ago with a 13-23 5 speed cluster... Thankfully I've sold those gears to people who buy that kind of stuff on ebay, and made it into a single speed. Gives me a better excuse for not getting up the big hills (or here in TX, riding my Fierte when its windy).

In some ways getting old suck. In many more ways it beats the alternative.

palincss
05-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Anyway, gearing is the main reason for this post. Classic gearing to be exact. The commuter has a 42/52 and an 11/23. In fact, if I remember correctly, this was wussy classic gearing back in the day.

Maybe your day was more recent than mine. Back in my day, the smallest sprocket you would find on your 5-speed freewheel was 14. Eddy won the tour with no bigger a gear than 52x14 (so why do you all need 53x11 today?) 42x23 wasn't "wussy" gearing, either. I had wussy gearing: the last Merz 31 chainring left to fit the Campag Record Triple, with a 32T in back. And there were plenty of bikes with lower gearing than mine around: the TA Pro V Bis went down to 26T for the granny. Even without triples, there were 26/46 compact wide-range doubles around - The Golden Age has several.

Tobias
05-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Maybe your day was more recent than mine. Back in my day, the smallest sprocket you would find on your 5-speed freewheel was 14. Eddy won the tour with no bigger a gear than 52x14 (so why do you all need 53x11 today?)The question seems irrelevant unless 11T or 12T were available and they all passed on them. :argue:

How competitive do you think Eddy would be today on descends with a 52/14 when pros are running 53/11?