PDA

View Full Version : Aerobar Setup

rpm
05-29-2008, 11:12 AM
In July I'm off to Pittsburgh to compete in the U.S. Transplant Games:
http://www.kidney.org/news/tgames/index.cfm

I'll be doing two little races about an hour apart:
A 5k time trial and a 20K crit

I'll be using the same bike in both races. In the last Games two years ago, I did the time trial without using aero bars, and wound up 10 seconds out of a medal. This year, I've moved up an age category, as did the guy who beat me out for the medal. He does triathlons and uses aerobars all the time, but he wasn't that far ahead of me.

This year, I'd like to equalize the equipment a bit by getting some clip-on aero bars and getting used to them before the event.

Does anyone have suggestions for which bars to buy? And how about setting up my saddle position more forward? I'll need to take off the aerobars and get my saddle back for the road race. Would it make sense to bring an extra seat post and saddle and just switch them out between races?

deechee
05-29-2008, 12:41 PM
I think you're in the wrong forum. Go to slowtwitch.com where they'll tell you which equipment has a .0005 drag co-efficient advantage and weight savings.

Anyway, that said, I'll go with Dan Empfield's old tri fit article, and say that for a road bike setup the profile jammer gts are the aerobars of choice because they're adjustable and short enough. Profile has some more options now, but basically look for something that'll adjust forward and back. The problem is if it goes too far back, you may ram your pads with the knees when out of saddle. I also never found the jammer pads very comfy (coming from syntace c2 clip ons). Also, I now ride a dedicated tri bike for tris.

Seatposts are cheap, so why not. Not sure if slamming yourself forward will really help, especially if you don't spend much time in that position. Triathletes put ourselves "steep" to get more aero yes, but also to use more of our hamstrings...

regularguy412
05-29-2008, 01:44 PM
<flame suit on>

IMHO if you've not already been training in a new, more forward position, don't change it now. Get on some aero bars that let you basically stay in (or close to) your current fore/aft position. Additionally, a road bike that was not really designed to have a rider more hung out over the front will feel squirrelly, especially if you've not been training in that position.

Mike in AR:beer:

rpm
05-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks, guys. I'll think I will look for a minimalist setup with the adjustable bars and keeping my normal seat position. I'll head for my LBS to see to buy and to get some positioning advice.

Louis
05-30-2008, 11:24 AM
How about some aero wheels?

rpm
05-30-2008, 11:51 AM
How about some aero wheels?

I traded my 32 spoke open pros for Hed Ardennes, because I wanted an everyday wheel. They're not really aero, but they're more aero than what I had before, and they're definitely faster. The guy I'm gunning for has just gone to Zipp 808's. I'll still be at an equipment disadvantage, so I'll just have to make up for it with my legs!

Louis
05-30-2008, 01:24 PM
The guy I'm gunning for has just gone to Zipp 808's

It's like the arms race with the Soviets...