PDA

View Full Version : Another stem thread

hybridbellbaske
05-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Anyone know of any titanium stems out there with an 8 degree or greater slope- but less than 17 degrees?

I have a couple of Thomson X2s- one with 10 degrees slope, and another with 17 degrees.

I would like to pretend that I am a track tyro wanting to get really low, but in reality I am fat old bloke who needs a "faster backwards" bike. I am, however, not so desperate that I am prepared to use the 17 degrees stem, because it does look awful and I am still a weeny bit vain.

I may end up with the Nitto #$%7 (the model number I can never remember) which is a polished alloy stem with 8 degrees... but in an ideal world I would like reasonably priced ti stem (new or secondhand) with 8 or more degrees slope.

Any ideas?

Louis
05-28-2008, 11:39 PM
The Nitto (I think it's UI-5EX) is very nice. A while back I got a Thomson Elite, but returned it because it just looked way too clunky to my eye. The only issue with the Nitto is that it's just a bit darker in color than you would expect for Aluminum. Other than that, I have no complaints.

BTW - I remember UI because the Nitto box says "Ultimate Ideal" (!!!) and 5EX because I've always thought that the stem was labeled SEX... :)

Louis

hybridbellbaske
05-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks Louis- anyone else got any ideas?...or am I destined to pine forlornly for a custom Moots stem- at $375?

dannyg1
05-29-2008, 07:07 PM
If you're heading towards $375, why not have someone make you the exact stem you'd like? I think there are a number of builders doing custom lugged stems i the $275-300 range.

Danny

flickwet
05-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Ebay, I have scored lots of cool stems a 90* serotta Ti for 1" not quill, the afore mentioned nitto some thomsons and ritcheys and if bought right, cheap enough to experiment with length and rise.