PDA

View Full Version : Record hubs - old vs. new

ox_rider
05-28-2008, 02:30 PM
I have been looking at having wheels built with the new (black) Record hubs and along the way have found that I might be able to get a pair of 28 hole (both F/R) or 32 hole older Record hubs.

Other than the color, is there a big difference between the old and the new hubs?

Thanks.

Gothard
05-28-2008, 02:35 PM
I have both old and new, both built with DT revolution spokes to Mavic ceramic tubular rims. (and several silver sets on other wheels)

Using them: ZERO difference.

I suspect that long term, the older silver version will be easier to maintain because of the grease posrt that is now lacking on the black ones.

Aesthetics is a personal matter but I prefer the silver ones that look still like Campy parts. The new ones could be stamped anything, wouldn't surprise me. I feel the black ones lost that inimitable Campy look that made the stuff stand out.

Dave
05-28-2008, 02:51 PM
It depends on how old you're talking about. All the hubs 1999 and newer have the current oversized aluminum axle design. Personally, I would stick with that year or newer. The old hubs have the 10mm diameter steel axle and two cones wrenches are required to adjust the bearings. The new design has external adjusters that are clamped with a pinch bolt. A 2.5mm hex wrench loosens the bolt and allows bearing adjustment with the wheels clamped on the bike. It's easier and more precise.

Ligero
05-28-2008, 02:55 PM
The new black hubs have some plastic parts in them that used to be metal on the silver models. The black ones are slightly lighter but all of the bearings and major parts are the same.

ox_rider
05-28-2008, 07:52 PM
I am fuzzy on the year of the 28 hole I saw but they say 9/10 speed on them.

Has anyone had issues with servicing the black ones?

weiwentg
05-28-2008, 09:31 PM
I suspect that long term, the older silver version will be easier to maintain because of the grease posrt that is now lacking on the black ones.

I don't find the grease port all that useful. you have to squirt a lot of grease in through the port to get to the bearings. it all ends up leaking out the seals and making a mess.

bfd
05-29-2008, 01:10 AM
[QUOTE=Gothard

[/QUOTE]

I disagree. The grease port makes no difference and if the new 08 black Record hubs do not have a grease port, then its basically the same as the 99-06 Chorus rear hub like these:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041108101652/http://www.campagnolo.com/pics/CH-hubs.jpg

Gothard
05-29-2008, 03:57 AM
To each his own. I put a squirt before every ride when they were new until the grease slightly oozed out.
Then it was a matter of putting a squeeze about twice a year. Never took any apart, and some are 18 years old.
For clarification, my comparison above was between the new black ones and the last silver ones, i.e. both alloy axles.