PDA

View Full Version : Commuting question - carry a laptop 20 miles one way?

Tom
05-28-2008, 07:24 AM
I really wouldn't mind commuting on the bike. The problem is that I have to be able to dial in to work any time and they are jerks about what computer I can use. It has to be theirs with their software stack blah blah blah blah blah. They're cheap and won't issue me a machine for home and for the office. I really can't say I blame them.

The damn thing weighs about five pounds, too. It's the Dell Luggable.

So... any thoughts? Any good waterproof bags out there? What do I tell them when I fall off the bike and crack the thing up?

Actually, I'm not terribly concerned about the last part. I back up the only directory on it that I can't replace... and one of these days the battery's going to catch on fire so the point'll be moot. I probably should be more concerned about a waterproof bag that can be thrown off in a hurry when I smell smoke.

Seriously, though, anybody commuting decent distances dragging a significant company asset that doesn't particularly like moisture or shocks along with them?

chuckred
05-28-2008, 07:32 AM
I used to ride to downtown Denver a couple times a week - not quite enough to justify a commuter bike with racks and panniers.

So, my laptop went into a plastic bag and into a back pack, along with my change of clothes, etc. Wasn't all that comfortable, but it worked.

No real reason to overthink this. If you're going to be consistent and ride alot in all weather, go buy a nice rack and ortleib waterproof panniers, or just throw the laptop in a plastic bag, into the backback and off you go...

If you're worried about crashing and damaging the computer - then you might look at tombihn.com. I've got one of their briefcases and the computer seems to be pretty well protected from just about anything... They make backpacks as well.

dwightskin
05-28-2008, 07:39 AM
I've commuted for years with a Laptop in a padded laptop sleeve and then put into a pannier (Madden Baby Buzzard) with clothes for the day. Absolutely no problems with the laptop.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Dwight

Kevan
05-28-2008, 07:41 AM
I hope that romp isn't hilly. I think it would take me some time to get used to that weight on my back, assuming that's where you plan on toting it.

I wouldn't overly sweat the waterproof issue, since I would place the pc inside a plastic garbage bag. I would also look for some padding.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W8QUAO

http://www.chromebags.com/products/bags/show/52/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/12403/Laptop+Cases.html/atl/Brand_be.ez~Price_+59.95+<=+50000/sortDrop/Price:+Low+to+High

William
05-28-2008, 07:42 AM
How about a water proof solar back pack so you can recharge the battery while you ride?

http://www.outsidesupply.com/ProductImages/bag_large.jpg

http://www.voltaicsystems.com/

William

William
05-28-2008, 07:57 AM
I hope that romp isn't hilly. I think it would take me some time to get used to that weight on my back, assuming that's where you plan on toting it.

I used to ride a lot to my training sessions when I lived in Portland. I would wear a backpack loaded with rattan sticks, aluminum dummy blades, a few real blades, mouth guard, cup, MMA gloves, work out clothes, shoes, and sometimes a helmet/fencing mask if we were planning on doing some weapons sparring.

It could get pretty heavy. Living on Barnes rd, the easiest way to get to my school was to jump on my Serotta and climb up Barnes to Forrest Heights, then climb up to a gated community, cut through to the cemetary, then cross over the Sunset Hwy, and decend down into Beaverton. Unload and change up, and get a killer work out for a couple hours. Then change back into my cycling gear, climb back out of the valley, up through the cemetary, down to Forrest Heights, then decend back down Barnes to our house. It was a good way to pack a killer workout into four or five miles. Portland and hills go hand in hand.

The point to my ramble is that...after a while, you don't even notice the pack. Well, maybe when it gets hot out since the heat can't escape between you and the bag.

William

staggerwing
05-28-2008, 08:05 AM
If you have a Performance Store nearby, might want to check out their "Trans-It" branded, waterproof panniers. Like most things from there, you don't want to like it, but I haven't seen any better, for the price. If not on sale one week, it will be the next.

I bought the small set, but I think you would have to go with the large for a full sized laptop. Maybe put the 'puter in a padded sleeve first, then the waterproof pannier.

TimD
05-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Another suggestion would be to buy your own machine (desktop or laptop) and dedicate it to home use. Their are a variety of VPN solutions in the marketplace which should satisfy even the most clueless sysadmin.

You can store & transport your files on a flash drive (a memory key) or portable USB drive.

I think a basic desktop can be had for about $350 new.

don'TreadOnMe
05-28-2008, 08:15 AM
I commute 20+ miles each way all the time, w/a backpack & laptop just like you're talking about.
I use a freebie Cisco backpack from Networkers, and put the laptop in a plastic bag inside the b/p.
A good fitting, slim backpack is the best way to go for me. Lots of climbs, descents and fun along the way.
Makes work seem like a little break between 2 good rides.
Good luck/best to you Tom!

DRZRM
05-28-2008, 08:49 AM
This is longer than my commute, but I always do it with a laptop. I use a reload bag and they make you a custom sleeve for your particular computer dimensions. There bags are really waterproof, no worries.

http://www.reloadbags.com/

markie
05-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Another suggestion would be to buy your own machine (desktop or laptop) and dedicate it to home use. Their are a variety of VPN solutions in the marketplace which should satisfy even the most clueless sysadmin.

You can store & transport your files on a flash drive (a memory key) or portable USB drive.

+2.

With what you have said, I think you have a pretty good argument for your company buying you a second machine.

Tom
05-28-2008, 09:50 AM

Like I said, it has to be company owned asset with company disk encryption, company VPN, company firewall, company virus protection, company software stack and God forbid I have sysadmin capabilities because a mainframe systems guy is the last person you want looking at how Windows is vomited together.

Then you get into the whole problem of a $1500 machine (remember to count the software) for one guy and then when the rest of the technicians find out you have to get a dozen for the group and then the other departments find out and you have to get a couple hundred and all of a sudden that $350 device becomes $300,000.

Kind of what happens in the distributed world, but those guys never seem to catch on.

Fixed
05-28-2008, 09:58 AM
40 miles with a laptop 20 miles to far imho
messenger bag
cheers

hansolo758
05-28-2008, 10:00 AM
How about this waterproof commuter (http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=36&cid=2) bag from Ortlieb? I like Ortlieb's products, which I find bombproof and not out of line in terms of cost.

Ginger
05-28-2008, 10:05 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while...no. I haven't actually done anything about it.

http://www.pelican-case.com/1490.html
(The 1490CC#1 Black Attache/Laptop Computer Case is watertight, airtight, dust proof, crush proof, and corrosion proof.)
and attach it to a rack or throw it in a pannier.

I really think if the computer fits, the pelican case seems to have covered all the bases as far as traveling in weather.

But if that didn't work out I would probably pick up a brian cell from here:
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/CTGY/300
And stuff it into a drybag and attach that to the bike somehow.

My commute is 20 miles one way and I find I don't like much more than 8lbs total in a backpack for that distance. It wears on your sitbones.

don'TreadOnMe
05-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Try giving some mojopac love to your corporation's workstation engineering staff to play w/ ( http://www.mojopac.com/ ).

Or ask your company (ibm?) for a corporate/official vmware slice for your home machine.

kgreene10
05-28-2008, 11:29 AM
I recently started commuting with my laptop and a bunch of heavy books and papers. I have an EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) Short Circuit backpack that zips the laptop into a padded area that sits right up against my back. It's a fantastic design for everyday use. My ride isn't very far but it's extremely sweaty (Austin TX, you know), so I slip the laptop into a regular grocery store plastic bag. No problems so far, and if I lost the data on this machine I would be screwed!

Riding with a backpack isn't bad at all. It reminds me of being back in grade school.

Be safe on your commute. It's a jungle out there.

H1449-6
05-28-2008, 11:49 AM
I use the http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FGMB Jandd Gabriel messenger bag. Shoulder strap/waist strap combo keeps it in place.

And I just chuck the computer in there. No special sleeve or padding.

Haven't had a problem yet.

cp43
05-28-2008, 12:40 PM
I commute 6 miles each way. Recently I made the switch from backpack to panniers. I didn't think it would make much difference, but having the weight on the bike is much nicer than having it on your back.

Nashbar has their own brand panniers on sale now, waterproof, and plenty big for a laptop.

Chris

xjoex
05-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Just spend your money once and buy the Ortlieb Office Bag. I use mine now for more than a year daily commuting with a 15" macbook pro with no problems. It is 100% waterproof, looks snazzy, has room for clothes, laptop, tools and more.

Pics and a longer review: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2007/08/review-ortlieb-office-bag.html

-Joe

djg
05-28-2008, 03:31 PM
You know, I've done it half that distance alternately with a backpack and a messenger bag and it's certainly doable but sort of a drag once you add a few things to the weight of the bag and the laptop. If the computer is pushing 5 pounds, and you have a decent sleeve or case for it, and ANYTHING else to carry, plus the weight of the bag, honestly, some days it will seem fine but some days, at least for me, it would be a drag. Some days -- really hot, tired, lots of extra stuff ... a serious drag. For a backpack, if you must, I'd look at things like Deuter's bags, which get the main compartment up off your back, but for that sort of load and distance I'd really look for some sort of a rack -- probably with panniers or maybe even just securing a waterproof case on top. Lots of commutes really don't require special touring equipment of any sort, but at your point -- really well before it -- I'd start to think about getting the stuff off my back and shoulders.

bozman
05-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Tom - my commute is also 20 miles one way and I carry my T43 on each trip. I decided on a good backpack (a small Mystery Ranch that I picked up in Bozeman after visiting with Mr. Strong) and I prefer it to a messenger bag, atmo. I would suggest a laptop sleeve to help soften the edges. Leave a pair of shoes at your office to save weight.

Tom
05-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Actually, I have a weirder plan. I figure I drive the Element to work on Monday with the bike in the back and a few days change of clothes in there. I ride home, ride back in. I grab clothes, lock the bike up, shower up, curse my fate and go upstairs to the six foot cloth pre-coffin. Repeat as necessary.

I have no issue with overnight parking, we have all night security with cameras they can point anywhere they want. When there aren't any liasons among the night shift crew that they're having fun watching, they can take a look over at the car to make sure it is still there.

thejen12
06-25-2008, 01:56 PM
This probably won't help anyone much, but RIGHT NOW there is a Timbuk2 Commute Messenger Bag on Steepandcheap.com with a laptop sleeve. Looks pretty nice, esp. at 72% off ($42.19).

Jenn

false_Aest
06-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Chrome bag--Metropolis ~ $135
Get a laptop sleeve. (Chrome's is over priced at $35)

I've stuffed my bag with a 5x7 camera, 10 film holders, 2 lenses, light meter, misc and strapped a tripod to the bottom of the bag (total ~20lbs) and rocked it through a Boston winter on a fixed gear . . . . usually about 20 miles.

IMO It's more comfortable than Timbuk2, Crumpler, Pedros, Ortlieb and various other brands. Waterproof (to the point where I've had a water bottle open up in my bag and it's kept it all inside). The shoulder strap is comfy. On-the-fly adjustable. Nice stuff.

The only other brand I'd recommend is Baily Works. Similar to Chrome. Seems that the messengers here in Boston either use Chrome or Baily---more use Baily (I'd guess it's because its a New England company).

---

Buy a real messenger bag. Don't buy one of those over priced musette (wanna-be-messenger) bags.

Fixed
06-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Chrome bag--Metropolis ~ $135
Get a laptop sleeve. (Chrome's is over priced at $35)

I've stuffed my bag with a 5x7 camera, 10 film holders, 2 lenses, light meter, misc and strapped a tripod to the bottom of the bag (total ~20lbs) and rocked it through a Boston winter on a fixed gear . . . . usually about 20 miles.

IMO It's more comfortable than Timbuk2, Crumpler, Pedros, Ortlieb and various other brands. Waterproof (to the point where I've had a water bottle open up in my bag and it's kept it all inside). The shoulder strap is comfy. On-the-fly adjustable. Nice stuff.

The only other brand I'd recommend is Baily Works. Similar to Chrome. Seems that the messengers here in Boston either use Chrome or Baily---more use Baily (I'd guess it's because its a New England company).

---

Buy a real messenger bag. Don't buy one of those over priced musette (wanna-be-messenger) bags. bro i am about due for another bag
i'll check them out i need a large big enough for x ray films .
the office pays for bags .cheers thanks

DRZRM
06-26-2008, 04:15 AM
Fixed,

Give Roland a shout at ReLoad.com. Great guy, and you can support a black owned business, tell him I sent you. His side of the company is based out of Philly, and they make everything in house. Great bags, they'll last a lifetime, and they stand behind their product if anything ever goes wrong. Their larger bag will handle anything you can throw at it, and their backpacks are great too, that's my next purchase.

Zach

www.reloadbags.com

bro i am about due for another bag

false_Aest
06-26-2008, 05:29 AM
bro i am about due for another bag

HA! You should order 2 and send me one.

I'd guess I've used my Chrome about 320 days a year since spring of 2003. It lived with me on a cattle ranch in Argentina, was my gear bag when I'd go to ultimate frisbee competitions, white water rafting, etc. The only things that have broken on it are the plastic snap/buckle things and that's only because I closed them in the car door.

My roommate has the citizen. Some of his sewing came undone. Chrome took it back, fixed it and had it back to him in 5 days (Boston --> SF --> Boston). Good company.

d_douglas
06-26-2008, 06:58 AM
Not to jinx you, but when I was in arch school, I was riding home with a buddy one 3am and he hit a patch of ice that sent him flying. He was OK and the bike was OK, but the two month old laptop had a cracked screen - boy, was he ever bummed out...

Obviously, if you are planning to commute, you know the risks. I occasionally pack my laptop on my bike, but am pretty cautious when I am turning corners or getting into crazy traffic.

Oh, and Ortleib prodects are great - I have an old courier bag that survives downpours . . . . .

Fixed
06-26-2008, 07:09 AM
Fixed,

Give Roland a shout at ReLoad.com. Great guy, and you can support a black owned business, tell him I sent you. His side of the company is based out of Philly, and they make everything in house. Great bags, they'll last a lifetime, and they stand behind their product if anything ever goes wrong. Their larger bag will handle anything you can throw at it, and their backpacks are great too, that's my next purchase.

Zach

www.reloadbags.com
http://reloadbags.com/bags/courier.php cool site lot of goodies
cheers