PDA

View Full Version : Riv Bleriot build: need advice

H1449-6
05-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Received my Bleriot frameset today. Bikeisland had (has?) them at $500 shipped. I can't seem to find the thread in the classifieds that originally mentioned this deal, but thanks to the forum member who first posted it.

This is my first 650B project. The seat tube is a couple of cm short, but the top tube is correct. My plan is to build this as a more or less upright cruiser, using a moustache or albatross bar.

My partial build list is below. I'm looking for suggestions to round this out.

Thanks. PS. The "parts box" stuff mentioned below isn't new and perfect, but it's in pretty good shape nonetheless.

Headset: I think I have a Stronglight roller alloy in my parts box. If so, I'll use that and if not I know I have some Shimano set
Hubs: Shimano XT 7s (parts box)
BB: cartridge of some sort. I may get something nice like a Phil here.
Crank: Mavic starfish from my parts box that I'll polish up (thanks for the suggestions here. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=45423&highlight=polish) . )
Rear der: Shimano XT (parts box)
Front der: Shimano XT (parts box)
Stem: Maybe a Nitto Dirt Drop
Bar: the aforementioned Moustache (I have one) or Albatross (I like the idea)
Saddle: Brooks Team Pro (like every one of my other riders)
Pedals: 737 Spuds (parts box)
Shifters: Probably Shimano 7s bar ends.

Here's where I need some help:

Rims: ? (need 32 hole)
Tires: ? (probably 35ish with a bit of tread for gravel paths)
Brakeset: ? (bike takes long reach sidepulls or centerpulls). I'm a heavy dude so need something with some grab. Insights here would be particularly appreciated.
Rack: ? I'd like something like the one pictured here. (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/174/435377989_541c656273.jpg?v=0) . I don't know what it is, though.

Thanks for any suggestions.

rcnute
05-27-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm building up my Bleriot too. Here's what I'm going with:

Rims: Velocity Synergy
Tires: Panaracer Col de la Vie
Brakes: Dia-Compe centerpulls (you could also use the long-reach Silver calipers Rivendell has)
Rack: for a front rack, you could use a Mark's Rack from Rivendell.

H1449-6
05-27-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm building up my Bleriot too. Here's what I'm going with:

Rims: Velocity Synergy
Tires: Panaracer Col de la Vie
Brakes: Dia-Compe centerpulls (you could also use the long-reach Silver calipers Rivendell has)
Rack: for a front rack, you could use a Mark's Rack from Rivendell.

I have no personal experience with centerpull brakes, but I'm wondering why they're nearly extinct.

PacNW2Ford
05-27-2008, 09:45 PM
I just received 650B wheels from Rivendell (Rich Lesnik) and the Synergy rims look very nice. I'm in the midst of a Kogswell Porteur build.

XT/Synergy rear wheel
SunTour XC9000/Synergy front wheel
XT rear derailleur
Shimano flat bar shifters and front der.
Shimano Tiagra crankset
Paul Motolite brakes and Love Levers
American Classic post
Oval Concepts stem
Jitensha Nitto flat bar
Crank Bros. platform pedals
Maxy Fasty tires

I'll probably use my Brooks B-17 saddle unless I end up in the rain a lot. Have fun with the build and bike

dauwhe
05-27-2008, 10:05 PM
I hated the Dia-Compe Centerpulls. Scary! I love the Paul Centerpulls--have them on both the Saluki and the Tournesol. Never knew what they meant by "modulation" until I tried 'em.

I'd try the Pauls if you're feeling eccentric, and the Silver sidepulls if you're feeling thrifty.

Dave

H1449-6
05-27-2008, 10:08 PM
I hated the Dia-Compe Centerpulls. Scary! I love the Paul Centerpulls--have them on both the Saluki and the Tournesol. Never knew what they meant by "modulation" until I tried 'em.

I'd try the Pauls if you're feeling eccentric, and the Silver sidepulls if you're feeling thrifty.

Dave

Those Pauls are sexy. Hate to have to ask this, but do you know of a place to get them for less than $250 for the set?

stuckey
05-27-2008, 11:41 PM
AE Bike has Pauls for a 100 and change a piece, it is the best deal I have come across. http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=BR8830

rcnute
05-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Not enough grab?

Dave

palincss
05-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Rims: ? (need 32 hole)
Tires: ? (probably 35ish with a bit of tread for gravel paths)
Brakeset: ? (bike takes long reach sidepulls or centerpulls). I'm a heavy dude so need something with some grab. Insights here would be particularly appreciated.
Rack: ? I'd like something like the one pictured here. (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/174/435377989_541c656273.jpg?v=0) . I don't know what it is, though.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The obvious choice for rims is the Velocity Synergy. For tires, try the Panaracer Col de la Vie. I get them from Universal Cycles @ $17 ea. They're marked 38 and measure a true 35mm. 50 psi max. They're plush and secure on gravel. I've been using them for over 13,000 miles on my two 650B bikes.

Brakes: if you could find them, I like the Mafac RAID centerpulls. I have them on my Kogswell. Riv sells a dual pivot centerpull under the Silver brand name that the frame was basically designed for. They also sell a long-reach DiaCompe centerpull that works with the bike. This http://velo-orange.com/cofrra.html may be the front rack.

palincss
05-28-2008, 07:41 AM
I have no personal experience with centerpull brakes, but I'm wondering why they're nearly extinct.

Campagnolo came out with a sidepull and everybody switched.

Erik.Lazdins
05-28-2008, 07:54 AM
FWIW - I've got the Silver sidepulls on my Bleriot - they work well in dry weather, in the wet the stopping distances are increased a bit - they have ample clearance to allow a good fender as well.

The Panaracer Col de la Vie measures 35mm on the synergy rims and rides well at 50-60psi.

rpm
05-28-2008, 09:16 AM
My suggestions:

Albatross bars. With the right stem (long) you will be blown away by how comfortable and natural these are. I like them way better than moustache bars.

Brakes: silver or equivalent tektro. If the latter, switch out the brake pads to shimano or kool-stop. They're nice and stiff, unlike the earlier Kogswell ones.

Tires: If you can afford them, the Grand Bois in the width you want. If not, the Col da Vie or the Michelin Megamium if you want a narrower, faster tire. I found the Rivendell tires to be abnormally slow for some reason.

Rack: Check out Velo Orange.

tys
05-28-2008, 10:31 PM
I've built a coupla Bleriots...

Brakes: I love the Tektro R556 (aka Silver) put on Mathauser type "salmon" pads and they're awesome. I'm pretty heavy and ride steep stuff and have never found them to be lacking. The Tektro 800 or 800A is functionally identical, less nicely finished, and super cheap (around $10 each!).
Tires: Hard to beat the Col de la Vie for the price, but the Grand Bois are fab. Get the Hetres if you don't mind spending $60 each.
Rims: Synergys seem to be the best choice. I've got several pair and have only good things to say about them.

I like the rack in that photo, I've never seen one like that, it's probably custom.
Velo-orange has some very nice front racks. The "constructeur" model would be ideal since it doesn't need mounting tabs on the fork.

Cheers,
tys